NEWS

Bottled Demon

• 67 Replies

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #15 on: <09-08-10/1943:43> »
While I don't know about any potential "Horror" links to the Item form bottled demon; I ran in it years and years ago with one of my mages.
     It sucked out a point of magic and made me make it "My Preicous". lol.
My whole team had to take me down and get it from me. At the time we ran it I wasn't aware of the SR/ED link because I hadn't bought/played ED and didnt want to. I later bought the module but just stuck it in "The Archive" cause Im not a GM.
     So, I cannot comment on what Links That one had,.....Buuuut you might wanna look at this next paragraph a little closer.

2009 Shadowrun Tournament
Idol Threats
Twenty years ago it gained the attention of two dragons, now it wants your attention. This year’s Gen Con tournament revels in Shadowrun’s twenty year history, while it manages to pack all new surprises into the mix. All teams advance, so plan on playing in both sessions on both Friday and Saturday Night.

I read that descrip when I was getting ready for Gencon that year and just Knew they were referencing BD. Turns out I was right. And yes there is a link in there. But I'm not gonna say more until I know it's cool, they wanted it kept under wraps if i remember correctly.

An no read BD untill after I run it  ;D
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #16 on: <09-08-10/2050:38> »
Shoot. Now I'm *really* upset I didn't play it at GenCon last year...

Lycus

• Newb
  • "Forgive, but do not forget."
« Reply #17 on: <09-21-10/1151:23> »
Definitely linked to BD but would need work to be canon. A nice little trip down memory lane though. The tournament had a number of little tie-ins to earlier adventures.

Maybe they should publish it!  ;)
Many years in the shadows and I still keep coming back for more.

Gideon

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <11-19-10/2229:38> »
So one of my favorite cameo/tie-ins was the dynamic duo of Bloodwing and Nightprince elven Tir assassins.. ;D

and the intorduction of the Great Feathered Dragon, Arleesh - I ended up making her pretty major in my first campaign...

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <12-29-10/2050:13> »
Great adventure, ran it twice, unfortunately the first time I got to learn as a GM how dangerous a group of well equipped and highly skilled runners could be when taking on a dragon.  They one-shot killed it with a machine gun. Boy, did that give THAT runner the big head.

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #20 on: <01-10-11/1230:22> »
Ok I'm alittle fuzzy as it's been awhile since I read BD.  Doesn't Arlessh destroy the idol in the end?  I'm pretty sure theres mention of "horrors" attached to the idol as well.  I remember a mention on dumpshock a long while back that the Idol was indeed an Imp as well.
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #21 on: <01-10-11/1253:11> »
Heh... the book doesn't actually say destroyed. It says that, after Arleesh is done with it, it's "inert". Just means it's no longer active, but could be reactivated at some time. ;)

Kerebrus

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <01-11-11/1116:20> »
I'm looking to convert Bottled Demon (and DNA/DOA) to 4th Edition for my local group.  since we have two mages and two adepts, the Bottled Demon is potentially going to be TEMPTING.

time to get crunching.

MK Ultra

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <01-12-11/0611:21> »
Nice - how are you going to handle the demon for adepts? I would suggest making it an Infusion Focus (and alowing them to use Infusion without actually having the Metatechnique, using force instead of initiation grade). That should make it quiet tempting for the players - maybe more then for mages, even, so you might limit the force of the focus to 1/2 for them, maybe also give them an easyer will roll to resist, to balance that..

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #24 on: <08-11-11/0242:36> »
Necro, I know, still felt like putting my two nuyen in:

I've always thought the entity in the Bottle was the free spirit calling itself Tutor, and assumed it had been freed from the Bottle after Arleesh destroyed the artifact (most likely, she was unaware the spirit would become active after being "freed" from its "prison" -- It was probably banished to a distant Metaplane and somehow managed to return into the fold (possibly losing 2 Force points in the process)).

Tutor: SRII Threats, page 92:

"Tutor "helps" the mage or shaman by linking itself to the magic-user through its special Spirit Tap power.  By feeding some of its own power to the spellcaster, Tutor makes it appear that the caster can cast more powerful versions of common spells and take less drain for doing so.  The spirit's payback is that the use of the Spirit Tap power exposes the mage or shaman to potential backlash that can result in the loss of magical power."

Given that the Idol acts a level 12 Power Focus (which, back in SR and SRII, raised a character's Magic Attribute (which, in turn, gave an additional number of dice to the spellcaster's Magic Pool -- dice that could be used for spellcasting or to resist Drain)), the effects of the Idol appear to be on par with the Tutor's power of Spirit Tap.

Granted, though, Tutor's Force rating is 10 and not 12.  Still, the similarities are there.

Edit: Typos and amendments
« Last Edit: <08-18-11/2017:40> by Fallen »
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #25 on: <08-14-11/2220:15> »
I've always thought the entity in the Bottle was the free spirit calling itself Tutor, and assumed it had been freed from the Bottle after Arleesh destroyed the artifact (most likely, she was unaware the spirit would become active after being "freed" from its "prison" -- It was probably banished to a distant Metaplane and somehow managed to return into the fold (possibly losing 2 Force points in the process)).

*snip*
Granted, though, Tutor's Force rating is 10 and not 12.  Still, the similarities are there.
Straight off, if a Free Spirit is overflowed back to it's native metaplane, it loses a point of magic.
Being beaten off by Arleesh, it wouldn't be stretching to advise the beating was so bad, it lost two ;)
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

welldressedgent

• Chummer
« Reply #26 on: <09-13-11/1829:13> »

Won't players be suspicious if they see you reading from a book that says 'Bottled Demon' on the cover?
wdg

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #27 on: <09-18-11/1620:09> »

Given that the Idol acts a level 12 Power Focus (which, back in SR and SRII, raised a character's Magic Attribute (which, in turn, gave an additional number of dice to the spellcaster's Magic Pool -- dice that could be used for spellcasting or to resist Drain)), the effects of the Idol appear to be on par with the Tutor's power of Spirit Tap.
Edit: Typos and amendments

I still work Power foci that way, but I subject the increase to the augmented attribute maximum. Things is, the extra Magic isn't helpful to Drain. *grins evilly*

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <09-18-11/2045:47> »

Won't players be suspicious if they see you reading from a book that says 'Bottled Demon' on the cover?

That's why you get the Runner's Toolkit GM Screen. +4 to Stealth Tests and 6/6 Hardened Armor.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #29 on: <09-18-11/2047:29> »
Advantage to PDF print-outs.  Three-Ring Binders don't have covers players can read.  ;D  *Pets my laser printer*
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11