NEWS

Bottled Demon

• 67 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #60 on: <03-08-12/1848:06> »
Frak, I didn't read it until a couple months ago, and it was still scary as all hell!
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Parker

• Omae
  • Remember, can't spell damage without mage!
« Reply #61 on: <03-08-12/2020:02> »
Quick query.
What's the rules to update old adventures like 'BD[' for 4.0 if ya want to use it/them?  Just like the 3.0-4.0 transition table brought out by Catalyst Labs awhile back or more drastic? ;)
I'm not Mad...insane a bit...but not mmmaaaddd!
(insane giggle as lightning flashes and thunder rolls.)

Stry

• Chummer
« Reply #62 on: <03-08-12/2134:44> »
I am not sure but BD may be 2nd or even 1st editions.  There is not much of a change between 2nd and 3rd, but expect a lot more in 1st.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #63 on: <03-08-12/2204:23> »
I am not sure but BD may be 2nd or even 1st editions.  There is not much of a change between 2nd and 3rd, but expect a lot more in 1st.

1st edition.  I lot of adventures were released with 1st edition including DNA DOD, Mecurical (which I ran with 4th edition rules recently), Harilquin (which I have run 3 of the missions with 4th edition), Bottle Demon, Dark Angle, the Brotherhood adventures, Project Hope and more.

Good times, good times.

Things you will need to consider:
* Convert any characters into 4th Edition.  This can be the most challenging step, as the balance (in my humble opinion) has changed somewhat and 1st edition enemies can come accross slightly... weak.  The grunts are easier, just choose an equivilent from the grunts section in the core rule book.
* Matrix is the second biggest challenge.  My approach is to take the 'concept' and rejig it to 4th edition, so that the feel and challenge remains the same, but you use 4th edition rules.  Unwired has been very useful for this.
* Tech and magic.  Things have changed, and what was uncommon then is common and standard now.  Which is why 1st bad guys get nailed a bit easily by 4th ed player characters.  So you may need to rework things here. 
* Setting.  These adventures are set in the 2050s and things have changed.  Fortunately, most the adventures, at least in 1st edition, they are not world changing runs and thus the overal metaplot of the setting won't prevent conversion.  A big exception are the adventures which use the Universal Brotherhood...

Now, in most cases, it almost possible to run the adventures a bit 'seat of the pants' style, dealing with issues as they come up.  But I would recommend that you convert characters, at least the main enemies... and then beef them up a bit. 
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

crisses

• Chummer
  • You're out of my mind.
« Reply #64 on: <03-09-12/0901:50> »
I'm actually running my players in 2050 using SR4 rules and the old adventures translated.  We just did Mercurial (will eventually be doing BD too). 

You *can* use SR3->SR4 translation for characters -- it works, but as mentioned it leaves them a little under-powered, so just beef them a little towards what they're supposed to doing.  I'd only worry about those you expect to engage with in combat -- others you might throw some extra knowledge skills to, but unless the characters are going to interact with an NPC extensively, their stats matter less than your ability to give them a personality and bring them to life.

Spoiler contains info on Mercurial...
[spoiler]In the case of Perianwyr (in Mercurial), I actually toned him down a few points from an out-of-the-book Western Dragon on the pretense that "he's a young dragon." A dragon as a human's sidekick indeed!  What is this, Pern?

Perianwyr used spirits & concealment, then went after the players at their hideout with the back-up corp police per the book.  He fried Max Foley, set the roof on fire, then started peeling the warehouse roof back like a lid on a sardine can.  Perianwyr called the retreat when the players used Mob Control on his back-up squad and had a few fire their AVMs in his direction (they missed -- widely).  That's when the dragon decided that his employers would not want to risk this special asset trying to get Maria, and he fled.  My tactics, but the book made clear to me that Perianwyr was not there in a risk-all position -- that's why the squadron was there with him, to ensure his retreat.  Morgan & Perianwyr are still alive to pester the players another day....[/spoiler]

Updating old adventures also works with some help from folk who have translated SR1&2 archetypes to SR4, and the canon SR4 goons, etc.  You can steal character stats from real characters from the forums.   I haven't had any real troubles.

On the "old style" matrix -- system maps is something SR4 dodges, and it's actually NOT realistic.  Within a corporation's system, not everything should be wireless.  Wireless is a liability for a corporation.  So while SR4 touts that "everything has become wireless" it self-contradicts when it says that most corporations rely on hard-wired systems on-site to keep them from being as vulnerable to hackers.  I'd say use the old maps for systems -- note that Scan Nearby doesn't work on a wired network (you may need Analyze -> detect hidden access to another node instead) and only the SANs and perhaps cameras, sensors, perhaps "i/o terminals" (employee commlinks or desk-side workstations).... (and the nodes they connect to of course) are wireless.  There's little-to-no reason datastores would be wireless, for example.  The CPU is a master-control node, OR if you'd prefer, it could be an executive system &/or honeypot meant to burn intruders?

Some of the earlier adventures have delightful sculpting on their systems....if your player doesn't reality-filter it away.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #65 on: <03-09-12/0913:20> »
That has me wondering.  How effective would it be to have illusory AVM's (even a specialized spell) that intentionally missing the target and blowing up something in the background?  That seems like a nice opening gambit to get people to back off without any legal ramifications.

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #66 on: <03-09-12/1143:25> »
for BD, it'sa F12 general power focus to use and abuse as the character wills.....but the thing has a price for it's use.

Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #67 on: <03-13-12/0849:46> »
E-readers make it even easier
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget