NEWS

Brainstorming in-setting tasks for Attributes/Skills

• 2 Replies

nogusielkt

• Newb
« on: <10-03-13/1717:41> »
Ashes from Sprawl wilde was great in that it had a wide range of tasks, many with skill sets that lend themselves to being from different archetypes, and also many of them were extended tests.  I've written another adventure to take place after that (yet to play), but while I was working, it dawned on me that the setting is a lot different than I'm used to.  Players wouldn't bat an eye at a trap in a dungeon, but putting some sort of "indiana jones, the ceiling is going to crush you" trap in an office building seems out of place.  Some of the skills are obvious, but I'm not sure I understand how they fit in the setting in a way that fits with what the characters will be doing.

Anyone have any common Attribute tests they use? 
Maybe putting a chair in front of a door would be an extended strength test to crush the chair via force?
Any security method some corps might use to deter runners?  Although it would fit to force wage slaves to be inconvenienced everyday during work, I just don't see an underwater entrance being viable... maybe I don't understand how create some of these off-the-wall places have to be in order to compete?

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-03-13/1749:27> »
One of the most common Attribute tests I end up using is a simple Edge test. Whenever a part of the plan the runners are using relies on some degree of sheer luck, I set a threshold for how likely I think it happening would be and have them roll their Edge to see if it happens.

For example, if the team mage decides he wants to sneak into a corporate facility by casting Improved Invisibility on himself and just wait for employees to open doors and elevators, then follow them in, he's relying entirely on chance that somebody will walk by and open the door for him. So I tell him to roll edge, usually with a threshold of 1 or 2, to see if somebody comes by quickly enough.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <10-03-13/1755:30> »
If you want a skill-challenge like with Ashes, consider a situation where the players have to reinforce a place and bunker up before attackers arrive. This involves barricades, figuring out the likely attack points, cover versus snipers, surveillance network, boobytraps and other preparations.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!