NEWS

karma cost for upgradeing edge???

• 20 Replies

a very angery werefox

« on: <09-12-13/1306:24> »
well got my fancy 100 buck ed of shadowrun 5th ed an i noticed that the karma cost table for upgradeing edge was missing . how much dos it cost to do so. i know there are typos and missing info and theres a free download for this. but im uesing a xbox360 for internet and cant download sayed info. if you can help id be happey.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #1 on: <09-12-13/1307:28> »
Same cost as any other attribute (New Attribute x 5). I think it is in the Spending Your Remaining Karma section or the Character Advancement Section.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

a very angery werefox

« Reply #2 on: <09-12-13/1315:27> »
thxs. ive noticed ALOT of strange typos and such. was worryed i was mssing info.so if i have 5 edge i need 30 karma to go to 6. thank you.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #3 on: <09-12-13/1319:23> »
Yeah, the only place where Edge is called out as a special snowflake is training time. You don't have to spend any time "training" your luck, you can raise it whenever you have the karma to do so. Otherwise, it should follow all of the other rules for attributes.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <09-12-13/1320:54> »
Is it me or are a lot of rule topics made in General these days?_?

But yeah, Edge still is an Attribute and follows the same cost rules. Only training time is special (though I doubt a GM would easily let you raise your Edge from 0 to 1 directly after you burn it).
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Sielle

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <09-12-13/1505:41> »
Is it me or are a lot of rule topics made in General these days?_?

But yeah, Edge still is an Attribute and follows the same cost rules. Only training time is special (though I doubt a GM would easily let you raise your Edge from 0 to 1 directly after you burn it).

Why not?  They essentially spend 5 Karma to burn a point of edge, but they have to burn rather than just use.  And they keep their Edge low so some of the other uses of Edge aren't worth it for them.  It's essentially someone that saves Karma for when it's REALLY important but otherwise isn't all that lucky at all.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <09-12-13/1538:17> »
It depends on how the player decides to play things, of course, but if you're keeping your Edge on 1 for easy burning, your GM has every right to have a chat.

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-12-13/1603:28> »
It depends on how the player decides to play things, of course, but if you're keeping your Edge on 1 for easy burning, your GM has every right to have a chat.
If you have to burn Edge that often, you have every right to have a chat with your GM...

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <09-12-13/1608:48> »
If you have to burn Edge that often, you have every right to have a chat with your GM...
:D

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <09-12-13/1612:48> »
It's not necessarily the GM's mistake if a player decides to take massive risks for no reason.
« Last Edit: <09-12-13/1653:00> by Michael Chandra »

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <09-12-13/1619:29> »

That's an entirely circumstantial thing. If the player choses to run through the field of Supressing fire to get to the paydata and burns edge to not die and then later decides to leap from the roof of the building onto the skid of a hovering copter and fails his roll that's nothing to do with the GM.

Taking one edge has the disadventage of giving you only one "oh crap" button.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <09-12-13/1932:51> »
Yeah, the only place where Edge is called out as a special snowflake is training time. You don't have to spend any time "training" your luck, you can raise it whenever you have the karma to do so. Otherwise, it should follow all of the other rules for attributes.
Since neither 4E nor 5E (that I've been able to find) actually state that Magic or Resonance must have a month of training/practice/whatever to improve, wouldn't it be the same for all of the Special Attributes? I believe that there's an implication of time required to upgrade your submersion or initiation grade, but for the attributes themselves I don't think there's any such restriction.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <09-12-13/1936:51> »
Given how Edge is explicitly stated as the one exception, and how page 107 clearly lists Magic and Resonance as well, Edge definitely is the only instant one.

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <09-13-13/1132:56> »
even with the zero training time for edge I, as a GM, would only let players increase stats during down time.

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <09-13-13/1606:08> »
I could see allowing a character with Edge 0, assuming that the fact that he is crazy unlucky is part of the character concept and not just a mechanical choice, to simply burn 5 Karma (once per run) to do the same thing as burning the edge point he doesn't have and save his life.  The obvious downsides are the 1/run limit and not being able to use Edge for anything else.