NEWS

[SR4A, RECRUITMENT CLOSED] There will be flood

• 347 Replies

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #60 on: <09-10-13/1718:21> »
Damned, choosing players is hard as hell :(

Extra points to anyone who can get me the scientific/psychological for having serious difficulties making choices!

CERTAINLY SELECTED SO FAR: (Posting this so I can't change my mind later!)
Anachronaut - P.I.G.
Chrona - Three Star
HydroRaven - Rat

I've got my reasons to pick them and I'm sticking with those. If you have questions as to why I chose these above other characters, ask me in PM's and I might explain.
Still 2 spots left.
Going to pour myself another Duvel. Maybe beer helps me make choices... or want to watch Falling Skies and return tomorrow... or fall asleep... Hmm.
« Last Edit: <09-10-13/1723:09> by Xzylvador »

Anachronaut

« Reply #61 on: <09-10-13/1729:42> »
Damned, choosing players is hard as hell :(

Extra points to anyone who can get me the scientific/psychological for having serious difficulties making choices!

CERTAINLY SELECTED SO FAR: (Posting this so I can't change my mind later!)
Anachronaut - P.I.G.
Chrona - Three Star
HydroRaven - Rat

I've got my reasons to pick them and I'm sticking with those. If you have questions as to why I chose these above other characters, ask me in PM's and I might explain.
Still 2 spots left.
Going to pour myself another Duvel. Maybe beer helps me make choices... or want to watch Falling Skies and return tomorrow... or fall asleep... Hmm.

It's a little early yet, but... team Chinese Zodiac?

Silence

• Omae
  • I swear, I'm innocent. Just ask the nuns.
« Reply #62 on: <09-10-13/1752:12> »

Well, it could come in a couple of flavors.  There's quite a few good concepts floating around, and you aren't sure which ones will best add to the story.  You don't know how well people can execute their concepts.  I know, because I've seen players run a crappy concept extremely well, and I've seen people turn a great concept into utter crap in execution.  I suppose you would call it they turned a great idea into a pretty, pretty snowflake that melted away.  To be honest, I think that's what has led to people calling a lot of the more unique races snowflakes.  Great idea on paper, and the person really sold it, but the execution was horrible.  To be honest, my concept is a drake.  Which would be strike one in most people's eyes.  But his skill set isn't centered on being a drake, it's centered around being a cop.  Which is what he spent most of his adult life training to be.  The drake thing is just something that happened recently, and has him a little freaked out.  Does he like that the only legit job he can get is working part-time at Stuffer Shack?  No.  But he's been a legitimate citizen his whole life, and wasn't really ready to take the plunge into the shadows until very recently.  I think it'd be an interesting thing to RP, but it might not add to the story that you want to run.

Good news is, you don't have to take a crappy player because he's a good player's ride.

That would throw Spooky into the mix.  Don't jinx me.
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend" - every instructor out there

"Maybe in your case, but he's a great buddy I'm leaving behind." - Siouxsie

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
« Reply #63 on: <09-10-13/1909:16> »
The fact that I haven't already said "Nope, sorry, drakes are just too far-out for my liking" is a point in your favor, because that would've been my initial knee-jerk reaction.
I do appreciate the effort you spent on it and am still considering Spooky as one of the 5 characters.
But I'm still having problems, RP-wise and mechanically.
Mechanically, I just don't know how Drakes work. I don't know how they 'balance'.
RP-wise, character specific, I'm sort of having problems with your answer to 15 (and part of 12). I'm not saying they're wrong answers, those don't exist on that kind of questionnaire. But it seems to me Spooky's a bit too much on the 'good' side of the law... At least, maybe for the game I have in mind. And sure, I could drag him into the story by his hair, but I'm not sure that's where you want this to go.
RP-wise, Drakes in general: First of all I'm not too confident in my knowledge of the SR-canon on Drakes. What I do know is that they're extremely rare, hunted down by dragon haters who want 'em dead and scientists who want to cut 'em open and that the few even-extremely-rarer Drakes that managed to survive and aren't indentured slaves to the Great Dragons are in hiding. I don't know how such a figure'd be out in the open or -even worse- in the shadows where everyone you meet would potentially sell him out for the right amount of cash.
It's the same problem I've got with ghoul (or other HMHVV) characters and several other kinds of builds. I just don't see why the rest of the team wouldn't just blow out his/her brains first chance they get. Sure, not everyone hates ghouls, but you only need to run into one shoot/sell-first-ask-questions-later kind of character for the game to be over.
Personal anecdote: When we were just getting started on Shadowrun and didn't really know much about the possibilities yet, one of the players showed up with a mage focused on possession. He was in a group with 3 or 4 other runners who didn't really know much about magic other than it was dangerous. It was the first time these 'runners worked together, things started getting dangerous quite quickly and everyone was on edge. So things start getting tense and the player of the mage character decides his character can use a boost. So the mage summons a spirit and lets it possess his mage character, granting him awesome stats and elemental powers. Meanwhile, around that mage character, there is a bunch of other people, his 'allies' he just met. Criminals who are all on edge, heavily armed and who all of the sudden notice the magic user they just met growing demon-like horns and becoming surrounded in flames. (I don't even think he could communicate.) So the rest of the players opened fire and killed the mage right there on the spot.
Looking back, I still think it's the only possible result that makes sense.
« Last Edit: <09-10-13/1911:51> by Xzylvador »

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #64 on: <09-10-13/1912:54> »
Thank you, Xzylvador. I'll get working on the twenty questions, or at least enough of them to give my character the personality I want.
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Silence

• Omae
  • I swear, I'm innocent. Just ask the nuns.
« Reply #65 on: <09-10-13/1926:59> »
Okay.  I can talk a few things over with you in PMs about drakes, and why they are not currently hunted by anyone with half a brain, though that doesn't mean everyone knows it just yet (Ryan Mercury's personal army consisting of drakes and fellow shadowrunners, for one).  As far as RP goes, well we can talk about that in PMs, as well, or he could be the guy acting as a conscience.  What I will say outside of PMs is that while there is a drake sheriff in the Ozarks, due to what happened to a lot of drakes after the SURGE, they are not trusting, and many use their drake form as a last resort, or where nobody can see them.  If they trust their team, the team will know what they are.  If they don't, it leaves an option which is pretty hard to kill, and can fly away if they get sold out.
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend" - every instructor out there

"Maybe in your case, but he's a great buddy I'm leaving behind." - Siouxsie

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #66 on: <09-10-13/2203:46> »
Done rolling concept around in my head, so here's that (PMing other stuff later).  Apologies for the delay; will have the other stuff forwarded by PM soon.

Name: Iris "Ayizan" Baudin
Role: Mystic Adept Face/Investigator
Info:  Mambo formerly of New Orleans, forced to move in the wake of the chaotic 60's after failures both professional and personal.
Notes: Going for a bit of a noir feel here, which should end up providing a number of hooks if you want to use them.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
« Reply #67 on: <09-11-13/0312:59> »
Hmm...
I could wuss out and do it Chrona's way (starting a poll) :p

Farothel... Out of curiosity, how many (at least semi-)active PbP's are you in at the moment? (By the way, do you happen to know anyone willing to run a Pathfinder game RL of PbP?)
You know I like and respect you as a player. You're also the only real magician character that signed up and I know you're among the most active players on these forums and wouldn't have a problem taking on another.
The only reason I haven't selected you already is because there's only so many games with so many player slots and I sorta want to let other people get a chance to play, too...

Same question to all of you who aren't already selected: How many other PbP's (on this forum) are you playing in already? If you're GM-ing, mention that too.

MaxKojote

• Omae
« Reply #68 on: <09-11-13/0325:49> »
Currently playing in  two other PBPs at the moment. Not GM-ing.

On the matter of activity, I'm online daily, given that I don't actually have a life to speak of.
« Last Edit: <09-11-13/0701:14> by MaxKojote »
Spoken
Thoughts
Matrix
Astral

Fang (Auburn Logrolling)

TheDarkMessiah

• Chummer
  • 'Sup?
« Reply #69 on: <09-11-13/0414:15> »

I can follow the Way of the Tiger if it helps :p

Actually, after dilly dallying this morning, I thought I might be a Spider Adept, because it goes with his whole bughate t'ing.

I am playing no other games on this forum. In all honesty, though i've been RPing for years, and playing PbP games too, this would be my first Shadowrun one (though I started reading the books in second, i've never managed to get a group together)
« Last Edit: <09-11-13/0418:54> by TheDarkMessiah »
“Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who sticks his nose out-of-doors. The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago.”

Speech | Thought | Matrix | Astral

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #70 on: <09-11-13/0456:33> »

Farothel... Out of curiosity, how many (at least semi-)active PbP's are you in at the moment? (By the way, do you happen to know anyone willing to run a Pathfinder game RL of PbP?)
You know I like and respect you as a player. You're also the only real magician character that signed up and I know you're among the most active players on these forums and wouldn't have a problem taking on another.
The only reason I haven't selected you already is because there's only so many games with so many player slots and I sorta want to let other people get a chance to play, too...

I'm currently in 5 that are (semi-)active.  It should be possible to add another (I check the forums every day and my next holiday is forseen for March next year).

As for pathfinder, I don't know anybody at the moment, but I was planning on looking for a second RPG group in the forseable future.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Yogi

• Omae
« Reply #71 on: <09-11-13/0616:07> »
I'm not active in any games here.
Thoughts
Speaking
Comlink

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #72 on: <09-11-13/0624:32> »
I've got 2 games running right now.  Able to post reasonably regularly - the frequency requirements shouldn't be a problem at all.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Lumen

• Ace Runner
  • Lumen in Umbris
« Reply #73 on: <09-11-13/0803:17> »

I'm currently in 5 that are (semi-)active.  It should be possible to add another (I check the forums every day and my next holiday is forseen for March next year).

As for pathfinder, I don't know anybody at the moment, but I was planning on looking for a second RPG group in the forseable future.

Not to derail but if you find yourself in need of another player for a PF PbP game, feel free to give me a shout.  Also want to say I'm excited to read this game!
"Everything that is, casts a shadow" -Neil Gaiman.
"Speech"
*Thoughts*
<Matrix>
Knives Chapter 4 (5th edition) OOC: Pg 93.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
« Reply #74 on: <09-11-13/0840:45> »
Plenty of players, it's the finding a GM that's the tricky part. :(

@Farothel: You looking for a RL group or on the net? I'm game for both, know several other who would be for RL. None of 'em seem to want to GM though.