NEWS

Storm Front questions

• 75 Replies

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #30 on: <10-21-13/1603:08> »
The Azzies might ne callous and evil, but they are not stupid....

they probably knew there was a risk of metahuman cross over, but deemed the risk was worth it....

But even if only a few of those infect with B-227 caused issues in Aztlan, then Aztechnology would probably recgognize that using it over a densely populated city would Corporate suicide....

Could you imagine the ecomonic impact as the relatives of those that died by B-227 sued the pants of Aztech??? And you can bet at least a couple of Megas would be offering "support" to make sure things when to trial and stayed in the public spotlight.

Heck, the Aztlan/Amazonia war as already caused Aztlan to hemmorage money by way of lost foodstuffs, and consumer products.... 300,000 people suing them over a chemical weapons attack COULD just spell the end of them... Especially if the Other  Megas, the UN and the CC decided to come down hard on them!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #31 on: <10-21-13/1606:18> »
The risk of suit would imply a court that would give the plaintiffs a fair hearing. Given that Aztechnology essentially is Aztlan, has a vote on the Corporate Court and is extraterritorial (meaning that no other court would have jurisdiction) I doubt any suit against Aztechnology (or any other mega) could succeed.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <10-21-13/1754:09> »
The risk of suit would imply a court that would give the plaintiffs a fair hearing. Given that Aztechnology essentially is Aztlan, has a vote on the Corporate Court and is extraterritorial (meaning that no other court would have jurisdiction) I doubt any suit against Aztechnology (or any other mega) could succeed.

except that a Corp is libel for damage that crosses it borders...

And The fact that Aztech is on the CC means nothing. Since a charge has been leveled against them, their Court Justice is removed from the voting blocks.
(as per CC rules) The Aztech Corp justice and the Justice from the plaintiff party do not get a vote to the outcome... one acts as the prosecutor, the other as the Defendant, and the rest pass judgment. Considering that the use of Bio weapon in Denver would and could affect the UCAS, CAS, and the NAN, Aztlan could be facing the threat of war from all of North America on just Aztlan.... while the other corps (who would be affected by the loss of citizens and consumers by the bio attack) would gang up on Aztechology.

Remember, Aztechology has NO friends on the CC.... and Aztlan has no friends in the NAN, UCAS, CAS.....

So deploying B-227 over a shared city like Denver would be suicide for Aztlan/Aztech, they have no way to contain the damage to just their sector.

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

martinchaen

« Reply #33 on: <10-21-13/1814:35> »
except that a Corp is libel for damage that crosses it borders...

And The fact that Aztech is on the CC means nothing. Since a charge has been leveled against them, their Court Justice is removed from the voting blocks.
(as per CC rules) The Aztech Corp justice and the Justice from the plaintiff party do not get a vote to the outcome... one acts as the prosecutor, the other as the Defendant, and the rest pass judgment. Considering that the use of Bio weapon in Denver would and could affect the UCAS, CAS, and the NAN, Aztlan could be facing the threat of war from all of North America on just Aztlan.... while the other corps (who would be affected by the loss of citizens and consumers by the bio attack) would gang up on Aztechology.

Remember, Aztechology has NO friends on the CC.... and Aztlan has no friends in the NAN, UCAS, CAS.....

So deploying B-227 over a shared city like Denver would be suicide for Aztlan/Aztech, they have no way to contain the damage to just their sector.
Isn't Azlan getting chummy with the PCC? The gave a bunch of Texas to them, after all, which caused the PCC to move around troops in a way that allowed Aztlan to redeploy their own troops towards the Amazonian border.

To say that Aztechnology (and by extension Aztlan) has no friends is a little harsh; hell, before the whole Texas debacle even the CAS was less-than-hostile towards the big A, and even after large parts of the CAS regions could care less about Texas.

I also think it's a little too overarching to say that Big A has no friends amongst the other mega's. Who knows what goes on with the leadership, the subsidiaries, and the various affiliates. There's so much scheming going on that a game of chess between grandmasters seems straight-forward...

I will agree that AZ dropping Blue-227 over Denver would be political suicide, even if they got Ghostwalker and his posse. This sort of action would only solidify the dragon opposition against them, and could likely gather dragonkind to strike back in a united and organized fashion. As it stands, AZ has been building PR goodwill by exposing the Horizon atrocities (the mass graves and the war crimes that resulted in them) and giving back land in Texas to the PCC, so taking this sort of action would be completely counter to their seemingly current strategy of trying to play nice.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #34 on: <10-21-13/1818:58> »
They could get away with what is basically magical WMD inside of Aztlan (with fallout spreading into an active war zone). Doing that in Denver, however, would cause serious problems with four national militaries and a bunch of megacorps.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Hellion

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <10-21-13/1836:21> »
They could get away with what is basically magical WMD inside of Aztlan (with fallout spreading into an active war zone). Doing that in Denver, however, would cause serious problems with four national militaries and a bunch of megacorps.

The way i see it is to pull something off like dropping it in Denver is really simple.... You simply disguise some Jaguar Guards or even hire some "terrorist" shadowrunners to break in and steal some Blue-227, then have them release it in Denver..... Gives you plausible deniability and insulates you against backlash, and if you do it right you could even pin the blame on Horizon or Amazonia.... Or does that seem rather seem like a rather simple way of looking at it ????
Its not the victors who write the history books, its the suvivors

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <10-21-13/1838:08> »
Isn't Azlan getting chummy with the PCC? The gave a bunch of Texas to them, after all, which caused the PCC to move around troops in a way that allowed Aztlan to redeploy their own troops towards the Amazonian border.

To say that Aztechnology (and by extension Aztlan) has no friends is a little harsh; hell, before the whole Texas debacle even the CAS was less-than-hostile towards the big A, and even after large parts of the CAS regions could care less about Texas.

I also think it's a little too overarching to say that Big A has no friends amongst the other mega's. Who knows what goes on with the leadership, the subsidiaries, and the various affiliates. There's so much scheming going on that a game of chess between grandmasters seems straight-forward...

As to the PCC thing, I seem to remember the PCC making off pretty well from that, too, so I think it would be a stretch to suggest that indicates relations any more positive than "on speaking terms".

As to the other megas:  Horizon has been going after them forever, and the Consensus will continue moving them to do so.  SK and NeoNET aren't gonna be on their side due to involved dragons.  Evo's probably out, because Buttercup probably has an issue with blood magic.  And the Japanacorps are pretty much only going to help each other.  Remember that in the past the CC called down what may or may not have been an Omega Order on the Azzies.

Hellion:  Literally no one would take that job.  And remember, Blue-227 doesn't work alone; a massive military strike and ritual was required, and it still didn't score a kill.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Hellion

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <10-21-13/1844:04> »
@Rhat I'm pretty sure the ritual was over by the time the reporter was killed, because it states in the book that Operation Huntress started after they took Sirrug out, but i could be wrong and i suspect that the only reason it didnt score a kill has more to do with the ritual being interrupted at the various temples than for it not being a good weapon, and i also think that a dragon would be more magically resistant than a bunch of metahumans..... It would work on a smaller scale, similar to how the sarrin gas was released in the tokyo subway a few years ago....

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <10-21-13/1859:34> »
@Rhat I'm pretty sure the ritual was over by the time the reporter was killed, because it states in the book that Operation Huntress started after they took Sirrug out, but i could be wrong and i suspect that the only reason it didnt score a kill has more to do with the ritual being interrupted at the various temples than for it not being a good weapon, and i also think that a dragon would be more magically resistant than a bunch of metahumans..... It would work on a smaller scale, similar to how the sarrin gas was released in the tokyo subway a few years ago....

I'm saying that if you're going after Ghostwalker, it's not enough to just drop Blue-227 - and the other things you'd have to pull off would fully prevent any deniability.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Hellion

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <10-21-13/1950:40> »
I wasn't thinking that Ghostwalker would be targeted directly more the people of Denver, i now realise that i didn't make that clear but could you imagine a few small pockets of people just going absolutely nuts and just trying to murder everyone near them, that would be a massive strain on a city... Night of rage without the racial motivations

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <10-21-13/2044:58> »
...  What would they even do that for?  It doesn't get them a damn thing...
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #41 on: <10-21-13/2046:46> »
Indirect action.  Destroy his city, hit him where his ego hurts the most.  Actually very Dragonish in approach.  Avoids direct confrontation, keeps exposure low.

Might result in exposing Ghostwalker to a more direct attack later down the track?

Still risky, if exposed, would be hell to pay.  Other Dragons would back Ghostwalker in this case, afterall, his less of a loose cannon as Sirrug.  Its like attacking a dragon in their lair, surely that's worth a full draconic retalliation?
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

SnackerBob

• Chummer
« Reply #42 on: <10-21-13/2143:59> »
I doubt that the CC is thinking about taking AZT to trial. Renraku is currently an ally, they've got great public approval, and they took out Bad Dragon #1. Everyone who died under the influence of Blue-227 was an acceptable loss in a war against a terrorist.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <10-21-13/2155:40> »
I doubt that the CC is thinking about taking AZT to trial. Renraku is currently an ally, they've got great public approval, and they took out Bad Dragon #1. Everyone who died under the influence of Blue-227 was an acceptable loss in a war against a terrorist.

if they released B-227 over a neutral city like Denver? oh heck yea they would. Over the middle of the rain forest/war zone? Not worth their effort.

Sadly it's the location, no the act that would get the CC involved. In the middle of the rainforest, there is no real corp interest. Denver City? Filled with consumers, Nations, and Corp citizens that would ALL be affected by B-227? they would be all over it so as to not appear weak. A lot of the CC's power come from their perceived ability to control and contain Mega Corp violence. If they let Aztech get away with using a biological weapon on a populated neutral city, that power base and authority would start to crack as people of the world see them as ineffectual. And if they are ineffectual, why listen to them?

the key here is WHERE is the weapon being used.... in a warzone away from major population centers, no one cares. The spin doctors go to work about the tragic collateral damage, sob, sob, sob.

Which is a far cry different then going after Ghostwalker in a Neutral city housing 4 countries and offices for all 10 MegaCorps and hundreds(?) of AA rated and smaller corps. you have to remember B-227 is not a point and click weapon, it is a mist... which means it is vunerable to air currents..... they Explode it over Aztlan territory, it drifts on the wind and blankets everything downwind of the detonation point.... so countless people would be infected from other sectors/Nations/Corps... and that is when the field day happens.

Hellion

• Omae
« Reply #44 on: <10-22-13/0000:17> »
@Reaver While i see your point there are plenty of more controlled ways of getting a pathogen into your victims than a simple areosal vector, poisoning drinking water, heck you could even get nasty and selectively inject certain targets.... and if magic is the trigger which while isn't stated outright (mind you i can see the implication), well it doesn't have to even be an offensive spell to trigger it, could be a simple thing like detect life or even something beneficial like heal or detox.... and seeing as you infected people selectively only the "blue crew" would be affected, perfect terror weapon.... And only the Azzies really know their future plans they could be using their allies as a smoke screen to come back with vengeance at their enemies.... Hell thinking about it that way they could target Amazonia and then steam roll them...