NEWS

[SR5] House Rules

• 416 Replies

anchoress

• Chummer
« Reply #330 on: <01-08-15/1108:44> »
Thanks for your kind words! I will definitly do that, especially after all the locksmith discussion ;)

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #331 on: <01-12-15/1315:35> »
Commercial lifestyle, from Run Faster page 218:
Suggestion: Allow player character to roll appropriate business skill tied to Logic or Intuition instead of Etiquette + Charisma [Mental].

Justification: I don't necessarily agree that someone's business savvy is wholly a measure of Etiquette. A great mechanic could be successfull on account of his legendary skill despite being somewhat brusque, just like an awesome talismonger (*cough* Lothan *hack*) could be widely regarded as the best in the biz around town despite being an arrogant, insufferable lout.

This would allow characters to own and run anything from mechanic shops to (il)legal clinics without having to be a charismatic individual of social renown.

Damien Granz

• Newb
« Reply #332 on: <01-24-15/0236:16> »
We all love the Shadowrun setting and adore the Shadowrun game, but not every rule is appropriate for every table. What if you want your game to be more Pink Mowhawk, or more Intrigue? What if you want grenades to be less lethal--or more? How do you tweak the game to suit the needs of you and your players?

Post it here, we want to know.

This might uh, not matter as much for everybody else, but our table is very sensitive to transgender issues, and so we always sort of house ruled that Essence was more or less your soul/body's link's inability to cope with being made into 'not human'. So we always removed the Essence cost to anything body modification wise that doesn't change the person's inborn nature.

That is, gender reassignment surgery, breast implants, and the like, cost 0 Essence, because 'transman now with a penis' isn't any less holistic to us than like, not. The justification otherwise is that, cloned or Type-O organs or blood might not be YOUR organs, but don't cost Essence either. Like if you can get shot in the liver and get it replaced with a cloned organ or a Type-O organ replacement, you don't lose Essence.

Essence costs still work normally for like, cyberware implants or bioware that change, basically the functionality of the person away from human (or metahuman or what not). So a Type-O heart replacement is fine, but a new heart that pumps super platelets into your body on command would cost Essence as normal.

But this change might only matter to a small number of players, but it's done a lot to make some of the people I play with much, much more comfortable with the game.

I hope that uh, it doesn't bother or offend anybody though, and I don't expect anybody to really make this kind change on their own or become 'canon' to 5E when the new augmentation book comes out. But that's probably one of the biggest house rules we have.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #333 on: <01-24-15/1049:08> »
This might uh, not matter as much for everybody else, but our table is very sensitive to transgender issues, and so we always sort of house ruled that Essence was more or less your soul/body's link's inability to cope with being made into 'not human'. So we always removed the Essence cost to anything body modification wise that doesn't change the person's inborn nature.

That is, gender reassignment surgery, breast implants, and the like, cost 0 Essence, because 'transman now with a penis' isn't any less holistic to us than like, not. The justification otherwise is that, cloned or Type-O organs or blood might not be YOUR organs, but don't cost Essence either. Like if you can get shot in the liver and get it replaced with a cloned organ or a Type-O organ replacement, you don't lose Essence.

Essence costs still work normally for like, cyberware implants or bioware that change, basically the functionality of the person away from human (or metahuman or what not). So a Type-O heart replacement is fine, but a new heart that pumps super platelets into your body on command would cost Essence as normal.

But this change might only matter to a small number of players, but it's done a lot to make some of the people I play with much, much more comfortable with the game.

I hope that uh, it doesn't bother or offend anybody though, and I don't expect anybody to really make this kind change on their own or become 'canon' to 5E when the new augmentation book comes out. But that's probably one of the biggest house rules we have.

That makes a lot of sense to me.  I think in previous editions, if my memory serves, cosmetic surgeries didn't take away Essence at all.  While it might be more than cosmetic to the character's beliefs and such, what you're describing would definitely quality as "cosmetic" in game terms.  Thank you for sharing!
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Damien Granz

• Newb
« Reply #334 on: <01-24-15/2207:08> »
That makes a lot of sense to me.  I think in previous editions, if my memory serves, cosmetic surgeries didn't take away Essence at all.  While it might be more than cosmetic to the character's beliefs and such, what you're describing would definitely quality as "cosmetic" in game terms.  Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for your kind response. :)

Archaos

• Newb
« Reply #335 on: <02-08-15/0745:06> »
I used ab automatic translator to wite in English my alter rules for SR5.

anchoress

• Chummer
« Reply #336 on: <04-30-15/1949:22> »
Actually, in the last weeks i thought about a problem i've got with high attribute + low skill stats. Not sure if i'm the only one, but thinking about that an average talented human (ATT 3) with years of training (Skill 6) is as equal as a high talented meta (ATT 8) with almost no knowledge in what he is doing (Skill 1) really bothers me.

What came to my mind is this: Creating a new limit. How?
You either use your attribute limits (phsyical, mental, social) OR your skill rating, and you ALWAYS use the lower one (with a minimum of 1). This would bring a bit more of diversification into the successing of skills. Still runner with a high attribute have a lot of dice, but if they are improving or using a level-1 skill they will only succeed with one success.
So a character, who has invested a lot of time and hard work to train and learn a certain skill gets rewarded for that.

A good example for this would be the artisan skill. A character with high INT but only one skillpoint can't just outscale the work of an experienced artist, 'cause s/he is only able to use one success when rolling the skill. Don't know what you think about it - so please let me know ;)

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #337 on: <05-04-15/0345:18> »
There are already skills that make success dependant on your skill, like First Aid.
In addition you can provide better results for Teamwork, when you have someone capable in the required skill, because bonus dice are capped at your skill level.

Possibly capping limits to the skill in question would completely ruin balance, as there'd be no point to low skills at all.

TallonHunteR

• Newb
« Reply #338 on: <05-12-15/1316:06> »
This one is a simple gear one, my apologies if it has already been posted, did not want to sift through a huge backlog: 

Jensen Lenses:
Cybereyes, but you keep your natch eyes. so...not so much a house rule as this is mostly character style.

you take the same essence loss as you are having DNI's Drilled through your temples instead of eyesockets. you are also bolting the housing to your brow ridge. then you have the sensor housings back near the temples(or a strip along the brow ridge). and finally you have the retracting lenses upon which your image link, smartlink, thermo, w/e is projected.

I guess you COULD bump the cost due to still having eyes (and therefore not as much of a detriment to social tests while someone can see your eyes).

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #339 on: <05-12-15/2301:51> »
I ... would not say that that wouldn't be a detriment.  You would appear, if anything, significantly weirder than a standard natural-looking eye-implant individual, considering this would kind of be a backward-tech steampunkish thing.  I'm not say it ain't interesting (it is!) or stylistic (again, it is!), but it's going to run a higher risk of being damaged, awkwardness, weight issues leading to neck trouble ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

SoulGambit

• Omae
« Reply #340 on: <06-21-15/1524:39> »
Creation and Advancement
- There is no "Magic" or "Metatype" Category for Priority.
- There is no Priority E or D. Note that you can adjust the powerlevel of your game by selecting which priorities are no longer available.
- You have 6 points to spend among the following traits.
  • Essence
  • Metatype (Human = 0, Elf = 1, Dwarf = 1, Ork = 2, Troll = 3)
  • Spellcasting [You also gain 2 Spells known per point invested]
  • Resonance [You also gain 2 Complex Forms known per point invested]
  • Power Points

- Your "Magic" Attribute is equal to your Spellcasting + Power Points.
- There is no penalty for being at Essence 0.
- If you select Resonance, you may not also select Spellcasting and/or Power Points. If you select Spellcasting and/or Power Points, then you may not also select Resonance.
- You can increase Special Attributes (Essence, Spellcasting, Power Points or Resonance) at a rate of 30 Karma per point. You may only purchase a Non-Essence trait you have at 0 with ST permission.
- Initiation / Submersion does not increase your current or maximum Magic / Spellcasting / Power Points/ Resonance / Essence. You may purchase Magic, Resonance, and Essence indefinitely.

Edge
- Characters begin each play session with 3 Edge.
- Characters who begin with a higher than normal Edge (such as Humans) instead have +1 Edge Point.
- Any other reference to Edge as an Attribute instead refers to Essence.

Magic
- Every character with at least a single point in Spellcasting may cast spells.
- Every character capable of casting spells has a number of "Charges" equal to their Spellcasting Attribute.
- Every time a character casts a spell or summons a Spirit, it consumes 1 Charge.
- Charges spent on a Sustained Spell or a Summoned Spirit (including a Bound Spirit) may not be recovered until that spell ends or the spirit is no longer under the Mage's control.
- Sustained Spells do not impose a cumulative -2 Penalty.
- Spells and Summoning have no Drain.
- As a Complex Action, a Mage may "Refocus." They take 6P damage that may be soaked with Magic + (Attribute dependent on the Mage's Tradition, i.e. Logic for Hermetic or Charisma for Shamanistic), but regain all of their Charges.
- Spells are automatically cast at a Force so that their Drain would normally equal 3 + Grade.
- Use (3 + Grade) in place of Magic for skill rolls that normally use Magic.
- A Mage with Alchemy may prepare up to (Alchemy)/2, rounded up Spells in advance, using the normal rules for Alchemy. These spells do not consume Charges, may not be Overcast (see below), and are not subject to Counterspelling.
- Reckless Casting is removed.
- Summoned and/or Bound Spirits do not have their own Initiative Score. Instead, once per Combat Turn, on the Spellcaster's Initiative, they may have a Spirit take an action as though it was turn during an Initiative Pass. This is in addition to the Mage's normal action. The Spirit's action may take place before or after the Spellcaster.
- Summoned Spirits may not have access to Spells that the Mage does not have, and may not use Sustained or Permanent Duration Spells.
- Summoned Spirits may have a Force up to 3 + Grade.
- A Mage may "Overcast" when casting a spells or summoning a spirits. By taking 2P damage or consuming +2 Charges when casing a spell or summoning/binding a Spirit, they may increase the maximum Force of that action by 2 or their Grade, whichever is higher. A Mage do this multiple times, increasing the Force of their Spells and Spirits as high as they want so long as they are willing to accept the cost. Mages may not Overcast Permanent or Sustained Spells.
- A Mage who Refocuses or Overcasts may not be healed by any means until they are allowed to rest for the equivalent of a full night. Any effect that would heal them still stabilizes them as though they were healed.

Resonance
- Technomancers have a number of "Charges" equal to their Resonance Attribute.
- Every time a character threads a Complex Form, it consumes 1 Charge.
- Charges spent on a Sustained Complex Form or a Compiled Sprite (including Registered Sprites) may not be recovered until that complex form ends or the sprite is no longer under the Technomancer's control.
- Sustained Complex Forms do not impose a cumulative -2 Penalty.
- Complex Forms have no Drain.
- As a Complex Action, a Technomancer may "Refocus." They take 6P damage that may be soaked only with Resonance + Willpower, but regain all of their Charges.
- Complex Forms are automatically cast at a Level so that their Drain would normally equal 5 + Grade.
- Use (3 + Grade) in place of Resonance for skill rolls that normally use Resonance.
- Compiled and/or Registered Sprites do not have their own Initiative Score. Instead, once per Combat Turn per controlled entity, on the controlling Technomancer's Initiative, they may have a Sprite take an action as though it was turn during an Initiative Pass. This is in addition to the Technomancer's normal action.
- Sprites may not have access to Complex Forms that the Technomancer does not have, and may not use Sustained or Permanent Duration Complex Forms.
- Compiled Sprites may have a Level up to 3 + Grade.
- A Technomancer may "Overcast" Complex Forms and Sprites. By taking 2P damage or consuming +2 Charges when Threading a Complex Form or Compiling a Sprite, they may increase the Level of that action by 2 or their Grade, whichever is higher. A Technomancer may do this multiple times, increasing the Level of their Complex Forms and Sprites as high as they want so long as they are willing to accept the cost. Technomancers may not Overcast Permanent or Sustained Complex Forms.
- A Technomancer who Refocuses or Overcasts may not be healed by any means until they are allowed to rest for the equivalent of a full night. Any effect that would heal them still stabilizes them as though they were healed.

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #341 on: <06-22-15/0517:21> »
That's...ambitious.

I understand that cyberware works the same as before? As in, it reduces essence (and can't make essence drop below 0), so if you want to 'ware it up, you need to get Essence points?

That makes Adept/Street Sams very common, probably. Anyone that would otherwise end up at 1+ essence (which is most people, because money) will instead go for the cheap Adept stuff.

"- Use (3 + Grade) in place of Magic for skill rolls that normally use Magic." gets silly fast. Initiation is already a good deal - and not for the Magic increase, you get it for the metamagics. Initiating to grade 3 before anything else is already a faily common option, and doesn't take that long. And that means you're suddenly throwing around Force 9 Lightning Bolts all the time.
This would also mess with Focused Concentration and Sustaining Foci, unless you can cast them optionally at a lower Force for those. But then again - are FC and Sustaining Foci still a thing in this edition?

On the other hand, mages start out very weak, with a "skill Magic" of 3 out of chargen (since skills don't use the Spellcasting + Power Points formula, but 3+Grade. Why have 2 formula for Magic anyway?).

While the Force of spells is boosted, the Force of spirits is nerfed a lot. In general, these rules are quite harsh on spirits (why the ban on Permanent spells? That makes no sense. I understand Sustained for balance reasons, but Permanent spells aren't ongoing magical effects).

Why the prohibition on healing? I get it if the mage actually took damage, but 6P is doable to soak (with decent odds) fairly quickly once you get a few metamagics (which you will, because of Force). If you take no damage from drain, and then take a bullet to the face, can that not be healed?

"Any effect that would heal them still stabilizes them as though they were healed." isn't  a thing, by the way. Healing never stabilizes - this isn't D&D. Stabilizing is a completely seperate thing.

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #342 on: <06-22-15/0518:59> »
Also, on spirits: what happens if a spirit enters combat, but his master does not (for a Remote service, for example)?

Stoneglobe

• Omae
  • Drug Addled Console Cowboy
« Reply #343 on: <07-05-15/1042:55> »
My first post to the board.

If any of the mods would prefer to move this to another location I perfectly understand.

I've always had a problem with techomancers as I feel they are an interesting character type but so woefully underpowered that they become virtually unplayable.

In order to make them more interesting I have made the following house rules for technomancers which I personally feel brings them more in line with what the idea behind them is.

Character Creation

Priorities remain the same for creation but all technomancers automatically receive the complex form Transcendant Grid free of charge - I believe this complex form is almost the natural way that technomancers would travel around the grid and that all should have it automatically

Living Persona

One of the biggest issues I have with technomaners is how dependent they are on so many attributes so instigated the rule below for the living Persona:
Total ASDF = Resonance x 3.5 rounded up
ASDF max Limit = Resonance + 1
Re-configure your Living Persona with a free action
Also the +2 dice pool for Hot VR works for Resonance actions

Automatic Abilities
All technomancers receive the following abilities:
Skin Link - no longer an advanced echo but just a natural part of being a technomancer
Techno Link - All technomancers automatically receive both the image link and smartgun link free as a side effect of their unique powers. These are not cyberware implants and do not cost any essence.
Resonance PAN - protect a number of devices up to Resonance/2 round down, but Living Persona must be active (AR or VR). Simple action to swap logic/2 round down devices
To reflect their advanced and unique connection to the matrix all technomancers receive a Resonance/2 round down dice pool for all matrix actions. This bonus does not apply to Resonance actions.

Sublimation is allowed using starting karma from character creation (I also allow magicians to initiate)

Complex Form Fade adjustments

Personally I find that the Fade rating of complex forms is just too high so I have adjusted them to fall in line with the equivalent drain a magician will suffer for similar spells:

Cleaner    L-3   Equivalent to spell Sterilise
Derezz       L-1   Based on amended Resonance Spike with additional modifier for Firewall reduction. No damage resistance test (as per Resonance Spike)
Diffusion Of [Matrix Attribute]   L-2   Equivalent to spell Decrease [Attribute]
Editor      L-2   Equivalent to spell Magic Fingers. Ignores Databombs
FAQ           L   Equivalent to spell Mind Probe
IC Tray   L-2   Equivalent to spell Detect Enemies
Infusion Of [Matrix Attribute]        L-3   Equivalent to spell Increase [Attribute]
Misread Marks   L-2   Similar to Spell double Image but only effects IC so reduction in Fade
Pulse Storm   L-3   Equivalent to spell Confusion
Puppeteer   L-1   Equivalent to spells Control Actions/Thoughts
Redundancy      L-2   Sits somewhere between the spells Increase [Attribute] (F-3) & Reinforce (F-1)
Resonance ChannelL-3   Equivalent to spells Clairvoyance/Clairaudience
Resonance Spike   L-3   Equivalent to spells Manabolt/Powerbolt
Resonance Veil   L-1   Equivalent to Spell Phantasm
Static Bomb   L-2   Equivalent to spell Invisibility
Static Veil   L-2   Equivalent to spell Invisibility
Stitches   L-4   Equivalent to Heal. Can also be used on a living Persona
Tattletale   L-3   Equivalent to spell Confusion
Transcendent Grid   L-5   All technomancers automatically receive this complex form free of charge

Echo Amendments
Skin Link is removed as becomes a natural ability
Resonance (Program) - this allows the Technomancer to create a number of program slots on his Living Persona equal to Resonance/3 round down. The Technomancer must have previously bought the program and committed it to memory (Software + Resonance [Resonance] 60 minutes) test. The Technomancer may memorise a number of programs equal to his Resonance and can swap memorised programs into the active program slots with a Free Action.
All other echos remain the same

New Complex Form

Resonance Infusion
Target: Device   Duration: I    Fade: L-1 (equivalent to spell Mana Bind)
The Technomancer channels pure Resonance into the target device allowing the technomancer to effect the device in the same way as if it were wirelessly active. This can be targeted on any device that has wireless capability regardless of whether the device is currently running in wireless or not.
As the technomancer is using resonance to effect the device rather than wireless matrix the device only defends with it's personal ratings rather than the increased ratings available if included in a PAN/WAN (unless in another technomancer's Resonance PAN).
Make a Hardware+Resonance [Resonance] vs Device Rating + Firewall with the effect lasting for 1 + net hits rounds.
The owner of the device will be unaware of the attack unless they are also able to access the Resonance in some way."

Would be interested to hear other player and gamemaster views on the above.
´Wonderful´, the Flatline said,´I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.´ - William Gibson, Neuromancer
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #344 on: <07-05-15/1115:08> »
I think your house rules are pretty good, Stoneglobe, thank you for sharing!

Some might think it's a little overpowered to give them smartlink for free in addition to skinlink and imagelink (no soundlink?), but I don't think it's too bad and people could always house rule that one themselves. I'm a little wary of your Resonance Infusion, however; what's the range limitation? If you can do it to any device anywhere without needing line of sight or touch it's way too powerful for my taste. I'd add a range requirement of Resonance meters or something like that.