NEWS

Crashing IC [5e]

• 14 Replies

Adrick

« on: <08-19-13/2143:43> »
Is their any point to attacking IC anymore?
Since they can be reloaded quickly it only seems like it buys you a round or two to jump ship or grab something you need.
Also kinda disappointing that you can't kill the guards of a host. to buy you some time to look around.
Not a huge deal since IC isn't on devices anymore and the matrix is more dangerous in some ways.

Looking to run this weekend so looking to have answers ready for our decker.

Bull had mentioned in another thread that deep runs could potentially crash hosts, so i could see more permanent takedown of defenders being apart of a deep run perhaps.  Heres hoping.  ;D

In the meantime for those you have gotten to run/play in what ways are tangling with IC useful.

Unahim

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-19-13/2223:45> »
Well, if you take out the Patrol IC the Host (and thus its IC) loses its eyes, and you can quite easily Hide, assuming you're unmarked. It takes a full Combat Turn to get back too, so that should be 3-4 IPs for you to finish the job and get out of dodge.

Adrick

« Reply #2 on: <08-20-13/1539:41> »
That works, 

just adjusting to the mindset of in and out really fast.

with a round of actions really all you should need to crack a file or door or whatever.

thanks for the help

thinklibertarian

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <08-21-13/1220:36> »
You could use Crash Program on the IC. If you do it in your first pass it would give you two more passes (on average) to do what needs to be done. It requires a mark, but you probably already have one to get into the host to begin with.

calaen

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-21-13/1228:32> »
Well, if you can mark the IC, get your three marks and run format program.  The IC won't be coming back after that.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-21-13/1424:27> »
Pretty sure you only use Crash Program to crash programs that run on a device (read cyberdeck or RCC).

There is no such thing as Format Program.
You can Format Device, but I am pretty sure that only work on a device.
... and a host is not a device...

calaen

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <08-21-13/1956:03> »
Gotta be a bit of supporting hardware somewhere.

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #7 on: <08-22-13/0244:35> »
Gotta be a bit of supporting hardware somewhere.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way: it's defeating the whole purpose of the new ruleset. You can't beat the IC, you can only slow it.

If you want rules justification, I guess to "delete" IC or something to that extent you need 4 marks actually, not 3. As there is no way to get 4 marks... You get the idea.
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <08-22-13/0510:33> »
So how, as GM, would you do a one-shot IC in a device, given how that's not really an option anymore? For example, Sprawl Wilds has an IC in an Ork Underground system in Ashes. Would you make it an Agent in SR5?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #9 on: <08-22-13/0527:20> »
So how, as GM, would you do a one-shot IC in a device, given how that's not really an option anymore? For example, Sprawl Wilds has an IC in an Ork Underground system in Ashes. Would you make it an Agent in SR5?

As I'm actually preparing to run Ashes (and you've already heard me complaining)) that is a point of concern for me. Initially I was thinking about making a host for the whole vent system, but then I decided to use an Agent as that's easier and more like something an enemy mysterious hacker would do: he'd leave an Agent. That's IMHO, of course)
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <08-22-13/0536:36> »
I ran it as a Black IC but since apparently then it'd return, and Black IC also is REALLY dangerous... You'll want to take a DR 4 with an Agent Rating 4 with Armor, Biofeedback, Stealth programs.

Also, Databombs are scary. :) Christian Capiendo and the Decker did a teamwork test to get rid of it when I ran Ashes, if that thing goes off it does 4d6 Matrix Damage.

(By the way, I ruled it as there being 2 Knight Errant Riggers, Christian and the unnamed one. Why else include stats for both him and an unnamed one?)

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #11 on: <08-22-13/0546:03> »
I ran it as a Black IC but since apparently then it'd return, and Black IC also is REALLY dangerous... You'll want to take a DR 4 with an Agent Rating 4 with Armor, Biofeedback, Stealth programs.

Also, Databombs are scary. :) Christian Capiendo and the Decker did a teamwork test to get rid of it when I ran Ashes, if that thing goes off it does 4d6 Matrix Damage.

(By the way, I ruled it as there being 2 Knight Errant Riggers, Christian and the unnamed one. Why else include stats for both him and an unnamed one?)

DR4, Agent 4, Armor, Biofeedback, Stealth... Got it, seems balanced and thought out. Thanks for the advice :-)

Oh, yes, yes they are. TM in my group learned it the hard way. Luckily, she survived.

That part puzzled me as well. Not sure if I want that many NPCs though.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <08-22-13/0552:59> »
I simply used it as "second rigger is worthless but if you get him into the cameras he'll handle evacuation, meanwhile Christian is capable of writing that software to reprogram the vents". And yes, the Decker didn't take Software. :P So Christian wrote the program while the Decker started overriding the Fire Suppression System. I posted a full report of the thing here: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=12269

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #13 on: <08-22-13/0600:49> »
I simply used it as "second rigger is worthless but if you get him into the cameras he'll handle evacuation, meanwhile Christian is capable of writing that software to reprogram the vents". And yes, the Decker didn't take Software. :P So Christian wrote the program while the Decker started overriding the Fire Suppression System. I posted a full report of the thing here: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=12269

Thanks, that'll help. A lot, actually  :)

thinklibertarian

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <08-23-13/1206:13> »
Pretty sure you only use Crash Program to crash programs that run on a device (read cyberdeck or RCC).

Hi Xenon, Crash Program says "You overload part of your target's memory and scramble one of its running programs.You need to specify which program you're trying to crash; you can learn what your target is running either with a Matrix Perception action or by observing the program in action. If you succeed, the program is scrambled: it ends and cannot be restarted until the device it was running on is rebooted."

The last sentence does indeed imply cyberdecks or RCC only, since you can't reboot (or crash) a host. I stand corrected.

I guess your only choice against IC is hide, fight, or flee.