NEWS

[IC] Liminal Spaces

• 58 Replies

Thvor

• Omae
« on: <08-09-13/1214:45> »
Thursday, February 7th, 2075 - 17:00

It had been a typical winter's day in Seattle--cold, gray, and damp. It hadn't actually rained, as such, but the sun had never managed to burn through the mist, and the streets glistened wetly under the glow of the city's lights. Beyond the clouds, the sun was slowly approaching the horizon, wearily getting ready to set; the moon, a week or so past full, wouldn't rise until after midnight--not that these sorts of considerations mattered to the wage slaves getting ready to head back to their pitiful homes at the end of the day, unknowingly handing control of the city over to its darker elements for the night.

Out in the Redmond barrens, the weather was slightly better; it had rained in the afternoon, cleaning a bit of the grime from some of the buildings. The cold and the rain worked together to keep the worst of the Snoqualmie River's stench out of the air, despite the light breeze. The clouds were lifting, letting a few final rays from the sun slip through.

[spoiler]Ok, the stage is set; the players may enter, describing what they're up to on this oh-so-typical Thursday evening.

Don't worry about trying to team up at this point; I'll be bringing you guys together soon, I promise. :-)
[/spoiler]
Edit: Modified to set the stage in the Redmond barrens.
« Last Edit: <08-12-13/1258:21> by Thvor »
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-09-13/1235:19> »
Armless walked down the streets. Every now and then he saw someone looking into midair, or through someone, or with glazed over eyes. He still didn't really understand what they were supposed to be seeing. The Troll pulled his lined coat tight around himself as he walked, not for the cold but for the staring eyes of those who looked at him, and not their imaginary objects floating in the matrix. Sure they were used to seeing Trolls, even ones with crazy horn formations like his slicked back head decorations, but they weren't used to seeing the giant hand made bow slung over his arm or the spear on his back. The tattoos covering his green hide probably weren't helping.
To a human, the Spear could easily be a small tree trunk but Armless needed it that big, or it wouldn't fit in his hands. Looking up to the sky briefly he wondered how he was going to do in this city, with it's technology and firearms. He had to stay his path though, as it was his tribes way.

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-09-13/1422:14> »
There is a neighborhood in the Redmond Barrens that nobody talks about.  Actually there are a lot of places in the Barrens that no one talks about, but this part of the Barrens doesn't get talked about because the people that live there want to keep it secret.  The reason they keep it a secret is because the people that live there don't want the world to know that life in this little part of one of the worst hellholes on earth is not really all that bad, it is kind of an oasis in the brutality around it.  In fact the folks that live there call it the Oasis.  It is near enough to Touristville that you can still hear sirens most nights, but a little too deep into the district for the slummers and thrill seekers to risk making the attempt.  The Oasis is not really any better off than the area around it, there is crime and desperation, and rundown buildings, but the folks here care a little more and actually look out for each other when they can.  It is the kind of place that a married Mafia lieutenant can stow the dime piece he keeps on the side with his illegitimate kid if he likes her.  Where a Shadowrunner can have his brother's family move to after the brother takes a bullet for him.

One of the reasons that the Oasis exists is the Harris Clinic, a place where locals can do for real care.  One of the reasons that the thin, awkward looking young man walking out of the Clinic knows he can safely walk these streets without fear is that his name is Devon Harris, he is the son of Dr Maxwell Harris, the founder of the clinic.

Devon knows that after the 12 hour shift he just finished that he really should just go home and sleep, but he also knows that he is going to the 'other' clinic a few blocks away to check on the razorgirl's new mod and spend a few more hours going over rituals in his Lab.  He pops his last Caff-Tab and cracks a new pack, walking a little faster so that he might sleep in his real bed tonight.
« Last Edit: <08-09-13/2006:57> by Crossbow »

Panzergeist

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <08-09-13/2228:19> »
There is another neighborhood nearby which people do talk about, but not in glowing terms.  Alan stood on his usual street corner, waiting for customers to come along.  Novacoke, bliss, cram, marijuana- his partner Danny had them all down the street.  Customers would give Alan the money, then head down the street to collect their purchase from the big orc.  Today Alan was agitated- his sister's illness was flaring up again, and money was tight.   He needed business to be good this week.

Alan tried to focus on his work, casually asking passerby if they were looking for any "stuff," but a weird feeling started growing in his head.  It was a feeling of intrusion, as if some foreign presence were in his mind with him.  The feeling grew until it completely preoccupied him, and Alan began pawing at his head and looking around for the source if his discomfort.  Then, even more suddenly than it had come on, the feeling passed. 

His commlink beeped with a message from Danny down the street.  You okay man?  You seem agitated.

I'm fine, thanks for the concern. Alan replied.  He was feeling better.  Time to make some money for Jessica....

Neither Alan, Danny nor anyone else on the street noticed Siegfried standing on the roof of a dilapidated building across the street.  Of course, that wasn't surprising, since Siegfried was invisible.  Robbing drug dealers was lucrative business for a vigilante- at least, lucrative by the standards of someone like Siegfried, who found himself squatting more often than renting.   But the mind probe had shown Alan to be a decent man who was dealing drugs for the noblest of reasons, and that meant he wouldn't be Siegfried's next target.

Siegfried paced to the other side of the building and settled in to watch a different street.  A good target would reveal himself.  It was the barrens- bad people weren't hard to find.

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <08-10-13/0828:43> »
Armless is a little surprised when a young girl comes up to him. Since she only comes up to his waist, she needs to crane her neck to look up at him; she seems very upset. "Please, sir, can you help me? My da was working and there was an accident...he's trapped...I, I can't..." She stops, clearly fighting back tears, and gently tugs his arm towards a side street.

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-10-13/1307:39> »
"What? Of course! Take me to him." Armless lets her lead him by the arm into the alleyway.

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <08-10-13/1611:34> »
Moving quickly, the girl leads Armless down a series of alleys. Several spots are tight squeezes for the hulking troll, but he manages to force his way through. Finally, the girl glances back at him, gestures, and disappears around a corner. When he rounds the bend, he finds himself in an open courtyard, maybe twenty meters square, with derelict buildings on all sides. The only exit seems to be they way he came in. There's no sign of the girl--or anyone else.

Suddenly, a voice calls out; the echoes make it hard to identify exactly where the speaker is, but it sounds like he might be near some rubble to the troll's left. "Behold, my brothers; another aberration is pulled from the abyss that surrounds us. What say you? Shall we cleanse it now, or should the demon be allowed to plead for its miserable life?"

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <08-10-13/1614:54> »
As Siegfried turns away from the drug dealers, a noise draws his attention. Glancing over, he notices two large, black birds perched above a streetlight; it's hard to see them against the gathering shadows, but one of them appears to be looking directly at him. The other fluffs its feathers, then bends and scratches under its wing with its beak.

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-10-13/1630:42> »
"A demon would just strike you down without giving you a chance to run.I am giving you that chance." Armless unslings his spear, "I have not gotten to hunt since leaving the farm." He looks around for the hidden people, likely Humanis or Ancients, whichever bigots he'd run into today. He just hoped they didn't have guns. So loud.

[spoiler]Actively Looking Perception followed by Default Intimidation 2 + Physically Imposing and Armed and Ace in the Hole (Adept) 7 - Opponents outnumber, are prejudiced and result is annoying 5 (9d6.hits(5)=4, 4d6.hits(5)=0)
Modifiers were based on what I can infer, let me know if I need to roll more dice, less wont change anything[/spoiler]

Panzergeist

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <08-10-13/2036:22> »
Siegfried regards the birds with curiosity for several minutes before remembering that he is invisible.  Startled, he opens the doors of perception, allowing himself to see into the astral plane.  After taking a look around, he assenses first the bird that is looking at him, then the other.  "Are these your servants, oh Allfather?  My sword is yours to command." 

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <08-10-13/2038:08> »
As Armless scans the area, he notes metallic glints from three second-story windows around the courtyard; probably snipers. The speaker, definitely to his left, remains hidden.

A clang behind him makes him turn; he's not too surprised to find that the entrance has been closed off by a rather solid-looking metal gate, topped with what appears to be monofilament wire.

Scornful laughter rolls across the courtyard. "The brute relies upon its strength to save itself, brethren. Is it not as I have told you? See how it prowls like a caged animal. Prepare for the purification."

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <08-10-13/2049:59> »
The only oddity Siegfried notes in astral is the presence of the birds...or, more precisely, whatever it is which is manifesting as two birds. They share a single astral presence, which is clearly that of a powerful spirit. Into his mind comes the single word, Follow.

The birds launch themselves into the air, flying low over the nearby rooftops.

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-10-13/2117:32> »
Armless sighed to himself. He would prefer to not be shot like a rabid dog but he was caged like one. It would take just as long to switch to his bow as it would take the 3 snipers to put three lumps of metal in his skull.
"So I got the most well armed Rascists on the Sprawl, huh?" He dashed forward along the alley, spear in hand, muscles slowly tightening and filling with pure mana. He leaps.

[spoiler]Agility Boost (7d6.hits(5)=1) Agility 7 for 6 seconds, 1 DV Drain
Drain Resist for later (9d6.hits(5)=5) resisted so long as i dont suddenly have 8 wound penalties in 6 seconds time
Running Jump to Nearest Second floor window, Limit 11, If I miss,there's no lower window to jump through instead and the walls are brick I will attempt to go through the wall at the point I do reach. Limit 6 I'm versus Structure 10, Armour 16 in such a case, so if I don't make it I have included a second jump which is me using my now stuck in speak as a lift up to the original window. (12d6.hits(5)=3, 14d6.hits(5)=7, 12d6.hits(5)=4) So I jump 6 Meters, possibly making it to SOME window, your call, if not I hit the wall (or obliterate the window) for 19P at AP - 2 and if I don't break through i jump a further 4 meters from my spear[/spoiler]

Panzergeist

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <08-10-13/2134:21> »
"I am yours to command, lord."  Running after the ravens...er, double raven...he casts a levitate spell, launching himself across a back alley to the next rooftop over.  He continues in this way, running along rooftops while using the spell to clear the spaces between rooftops.  He debates drawing his sword, but he isn't sure if the raven spirit is leading him to battle, or something else. 

[spoiler]So I didn't roll for the invisibility spell before since it was just meant as a plot device, but now that it looks like I might use it....
Improved Invisibility force 2(highest I can sustain for free)- 1 measly success
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4169832/
Drain resistance, 2 boxes- 4 hits, no drain
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4169834/
So I have improved invisibility with 1 hit being sustained- calling me invisible is stretching it a bit.

Levitate, force 4 spellcasting- 8 hits, so effectively 4
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4169836/
Drain, 2 boxes- 4 hits  http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4169837/

Currently sustaining improved invis force 2 with 1 hit, and levitate force 4 with 4 hits, no drain so far. 

Running(6) test- 3 hits  http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4169838/

Note that I'm running across the rooftops, but using the levitate spell to cross from one rooftop to another, so not using gymnastics.

[/spoiler]

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <08-12-13/1434:39> »
Initiative Count: 19
Armless launches himself forward, his mana-infused muscles enabling him to clear the distance across the courtyard easily. Reaching the far wall, he launches himself upwards, driving his spear into the wall at the peak of his jump.

Initiative Count: 13
Seeing the gargantuan troll charging his direction, the sniper in the window loses his nerve and opens fire.

[spoiler]First, a clarification. Vertical jumps give half a meter per hit, not 2, so Armless's first jump only goes 1.5 meters. Also, it's not spelled out in the 5E RAW, but 4E says that vertical jumps are simple actions, so we've got Armless running (movement) and jumping (simple); due to the timing (and coolness factor), I'm going to allow the attack against the wall as another simple action, rather than the usual complex one. Assuming he gets a chance to follow through with the second jump, he'll make the window he's aiming for, though without the spear.

Second, the sniper's attack: 8d6.hits(5)=4. These guys came specifically to fight a troll, so they're using APDS rounds; you're looking at -4 armor piercing and 10P base damage. Also, since this is a long burst, there's a -5 modifier on the defense test.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: <08-12-13/1436:54> by Thvor »