NEWS

[SR5 Missions] Suspended Mountie (magician)

• 7 Replies

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« on: <08-07-13/2220:32> »
I'm not even sure if I'll ever get to play this (since I'm the backup GM if there's too many players), but I figured I'd put this up here anyway.
Note: I've assumed that the skills you obtain during step three can be raised with skill points during step five.

Concept: as the great-grandson of the RCMP constable who found the hand of Sir John Franklin back in the '00s, Simon Fraser chose to follow in his great-grandfather's, grandfather's and father's footsteps, and became a mountie in the Athabaskan Council, with a specialty in sting and stealth operations due to his magic. However, this all changed when his father was murdered: his efforts to find his father's killers eventually led him to Chicago, where he not only found them, but also accidentally uncovered a corruption scandal in the Athabaskan Council Mounted Police, and was promptly placed on unpaid leave by the disgraced ACMP. Since there is no Athabaskan Council consulate in Chicago, he has become a private investigator, although his skillset also makes him a decent shadowrunner.

Priorities:
Metatype: D - Human (3)
Attributes: A - 24
Magic: B - Magician with Magic 4, 2 Rating 4 Magical skills, 7 Spells
Skills: C - 28/2
Resources: E - 6k

Karma Expenditure: 21-24 = -3 on Qualities, 2x2 = 4 on Skills, 21-18 = 3 on Contacts, 9 on gear, 1 on bound Spirits, 5 on Spells, 7 unspent

Starting Notoriety: 2 (Bad Luck, Spirit Bane)

Attributes: Body 3, Agility 3, Reaction 3, Strength 3, Willpower 5, Logic 4, Intuition 5, Charisma 6
Special Attributes: Edge 3 (2 + 1 special attribute point), Magic 6 (4 + 2 special attribute points), Essence 6.0, Initiative 8+1D6

Qualities (5+16 = 21 Positive, 12+5+7 = 24 Negative)
Analytical Mind (5), Focused Concentration 4 (16), Bad Luck (+12), National SIN (Athabaskan Council) (+5), Spirit Bane (Fire Spirits) (+7)

Skills (28 skill points, 2 skill group points, 4 free Spellcasting and Summoning levels from Magic B, 4 Karma spent on 2 R1 skills)
Influence skill group 1
Outdoors skill group 1
Arcana 3
Assensing (Astral Signatures) 4(6)
Clubs 1 (bought with Karma)
Counterspelling 6
Impersonation (Human) 3(5)
Perception (Taste) 4(6)
Pilot Groundcraft 1 (bought with Karma)
Spellcasting (Illusion) 6(8) (4 levels from Magic priority)
Summoning 6 (4 levels from Magic priority)

Knowledge Skills (18 points): Magical Community 4, Magical Forensics 3, Native American music 3, Police Procedures 3, English N, Athabaskan 5

Contacts (21 points: 3 from Karma, 18 from Charisma)
Nick Ryder (Lone Star Detective, C3, L4), Doesn't Give His Name To White Men (Talismonger, C5, L2), Christopher Metcalf (Fixer, C5, L2)

Magical Tradition: Shaman
Spells (7 + 1 bought with Karma): Analyze Truth, Ball Lightning (Indirect Area, Physical, Physical damage), Blast (Indirect Area, Physical, Stun damage), Heal, Increase Reflexes, Improved Invisibility, Physical Mask, Stealth

Gear (24k: 6k from Priority + 18k from 9 karma)
 10,000   Chrysler-Nissan Jackrabbit [Handling 4/3, Speed 3, Accel 2, Body 8, Armor 4, Pilot 1, Sensor 2, Passengers 2]
 10,000   fake SIN (Rating 4)
    900   lined coat [9]
  2,000   Low Lifestyle (1 month)
    700   Sony Emperor commlink [Device Rating 2]
    100   Staff [Club, Reach 2, Acc 6, DV 6P, AP —]
    200 Gas Mask
Starting ¥ 100 + (4D6 x 100)¥
« Last Edit: <09-09-13/1452:21> by ZeConster »

Marlowe

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <08-07-13/2225:28> »
Is this a reference to Due South?   Because if so that alone is awesome.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-07-13/2227:58> »
Only if he had Perception (Taste) specialty

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-07-13/2233:23> »
Man, I'd completely forgotten about the tasting thing. Perception changed to 4(6).

And yeah, it's a Due South reference, because how could I not make one when Season Five is in Chicago. I figured that if Benton Fraser met someone while searching for Franklin's hand, child-getting ages of about 25 for his son and grandson would allow my character to be about 25 years old in '75.

Marlowe

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-07-13/2239:39> »
Maybe throw Mentor Spirit: Wolf on there.  If you summon an ally spirit (should they be added in later books and made Mission legal) it should be in the form of his dad.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-29-13/1357:50> »
So it wasn't until 4 weeks after my first Mission that I realized I'd actually gone with Metatype E, since I only have 3 Edge, not 5. Since 5 Edge doesn't seem very useful to someone with Bad Luck, I decided to go with Resources D instead, freeing up 9 Karma and 26k nuyen. I put the nuyen into a spellcasting focus (for Combat spells, because 11 dice on a threshold of 3 is really too risky if I'm standing in a 1m-radius bubble), a better commlink, a stun baton, fire resistance for my lined coat, some fake licenses, a respirator, a periscope, and optical binoculars. Since bonding the Spellcasting Focus left me with 1 unspent Karma after reserving 7 for post-chargen, I figure I'll put that into a single service (which I'll never use) for a 'bound' spirit (either Beast (a wolf), or Man (the ghost of the character's father) - not sure which one, though).

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #6 on: <08-29-13/1435:46> »
I know this is an old post but is the currently posted guy up to date, ZeConster? You seem to have too many Special Attribute points for a Priority E Human.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-29-13/1530:03> »
Ah! Of course That's my mistake - forgot about the special Attribute points I had put into Magic. Reverted. :-\
(Although with 2 Edge and 5 Magic, or with 4 fewer attribute points and 3 extra spells and skill points, that build would be possible, I prefer well-rounded attributes and starting with 6 Magic)
« Last Edit: <08-29-13/1534:48> by ZeConster »