NEWS

First review for Shadowrun Returns.

• 75 Replies

YearlyDictate

• Newb
« on: <07-25-13/0028:56> »
Just found the first review for Shadowrun Returns. Solid 8.5 from the guys over at Pixelvolt.

http://pixelvolt.com/2013/07/24/shadowrun-returns-pc/

I'm still new to Shadowrun, but I'm so incredibly excited for this game.

Nacho

• Newb
  • Sent 20 minutes from now...
« Reply #1 on: <07-25-13/0137:48> »
Nice find.  I too am anxiously awaiting 11am tomorrow morning (Pacific time) when the game goes live.
/// Nacho

Need a job done?   contactmrjohnson.com     ///     @ThisIsMrJohnson

Cynewulf

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-25-13/0228:07> »
TotalBiscuit just released his review. The verdict is an  almost complete success, criticising only the save system and some lack of open-worldness (which can be solved with the editor). Especial praise comes for the writing, character and world design, and atmosphere.

It is a good time to run the shadows.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-25-13/0910:34> »
Things are looking great! Can hardly wait to get home this weekend to download and play.

TsuiPen

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-25-13/0952:29> »
I'm shocked it uses safepoints :o (watched TotalBiscuit's review).
I'm going to watch Bull's Let'sPlay later on this day, I'm so hoping this was a one-sided perspective on the safe system ._. (TotalBiscuit played like, what, 17 minuts to get out of a place where he already was?). I like playing games on high difficulty and "finding the optimal route", this could turn out unpleasant.

*excited and anxious at the same time*

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #6 on: <07-25-13/1107:25> »
Like 2 minutes, since he was able to skip through diallogue and stuff.

With reading all options, exploring around the map, and combats, I think the single longest section you have to worry about is 20-30 minutes.  If you can skip through all the dialogue trees (because you've already done them), then all you have to do is redo combats, none of which take more than 5-10 minutes tops.  It's not ideal, but it's not Grand Theft AUto's "Screw You , Saves are for Hippies" checkpoint system either.

TsuiPen

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <07-25-13/1306:27> »
That's a relief! Thanks for giving insight!

Nacho

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <07-25-13/1446:03> »
I just played for 64 minutes.  Seems like it's going to be lots of fun.  Need to do some wageslave drek, but then back to the shadows this afternoon.
/// Nacho

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <07-25-13/1517:56> »
Can't review, having too much fun playing.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Nacho

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <07-25-13/1652:58> »
Can't review, having too much fun playing.

Ha... agreed.   Here's my review...

"Yeah... uh... yeah... it's awesome.  Now, leave me alone, I am playing the game."  :)
/// Nacho

Cherno

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <07-25-13/1722:14> »
Just played it for about 3 hours. Graphics are nice and for a game at this price range the lack of spoken dialogue is excusable. However, I was pretty disappointed to find out that the game isn't open-world like it's two predecessors, I'd loved to have the ability to visit the whole city or at least a big part of it and do all kinds of side quests and maybe find some hidden weapon stashes or something. The game design really lends itself well to something like this, but at least the Dead Man's Switch campaign is very linear with no option to go back to previously visited places without the game forcing you to. Also, no save options? :(

The combat system feels simplified compared to the likes of Jagged Alliance 2 and X-Com: Enemy Unknown, but I guess that's just a way to keep things manageable on platforms other than the PC.

Aside from that, I experienced some minor graphic errors with background items disappearing, character models being hidden by scenery even if they stoff in front of them, and some background scenics having been tiled badly and offset, but it's really seldom encountered, otherwise it's a solid game I'd say.

This might sound like I'd give the gme a mediocre score but the fact is that I eagerly awaited it so every tiny bit weighs heavily onto my enjoyment, it's still a great game, especially for this price.

danny.slag

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <07-25-13/1802:19> »
About it not being open world. I have noticed several reviewers mention being disappointed with that. One reviewer had an interesting point about this though. He said that the pen and paper RPG although somewhat open world because it's PnP, still tends to be pretty linear. Yes you always have those times you go off the reservation but usually the GM was written the campaign in scenes where you transition from one scene to the next which is how the game works.

I still would love it to have been completely open world go take the jobs you want build up your team and so on, who knows depending on the editor I wouldn't be surprised if after a while someone made a huge "campaign" like that. Look at how crazy far modders have pushed other games far beyond what they were intended to do. I've seen single player linear games get turned through modding into open world multi-player games and so on.

Ankheg

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <07-25-13/1815:15> »
It looks nice enough. But guys, really, game isn't about itself. It's about Editor and opportunity to create your own maps.
So, if anyone of you will give review on it's Editor capabilities - then that would be interesting.

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #14 on: <07-26-13/1019:31> »
My only HUGE complaint is that far too many of the 'hiring hall' shadowrunners  who are shown with special melee weapons (dragon sword, hand-made katana) do not have them when you reach the mission site. All they have is basic unarmed, which in some of their cases completely removes their combat effectiveness as they have no points in unarmed.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.