NEWS

Smartlink - What does the PC need?

• 113 Replies

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <07-23-13/0652:11> »
If you run cable to your internal smartlink you need a data jack.
If you want to use better firewall for your smartgun you can either slave it to your decker's cyberdeck or your own commlink.

You need smartgun on your weapon. Internal or external as a accessory.
You need smartlink. Internal or external in goggles.
« Last Edit: <07-23-13/0659:29> by Xenon »

quindraco

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <07-23-13/0912:03> »
Pages 433, 444, and 439: the minimum necessary requirements are to have a smartgun equipped gun, a smartlink equipped imaging system, and a way for them to communicate, which can be a cable or a DNI (the cheapest solution to which is trodes, which require a commlink or cyberdeck unless you have GM permission).  Provided you have these three things, the benefits are:
1)  +2 Acc.
2) Wireless on, imaging system is not an implant: +1 die.
3) Wireless on, imaging system is an implant: +2 dice.

As a reminder, "wireless on" means on the Matrix by definition.

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <07-23-13/0946:52> »
Pages 433, 444, and 439: the minimum necessary requirements are to have a smartgun equipped gun, a smartlink equipped imaging system, and a way for them to communicate, which can be a cable or a DNI (the cheapest solution to which is trodes, which require a commlink or cyberdeck unless you have GM permission).  Provided you have these three things, the benefits are:
1)  +2 Acc.
2) Wireless on, imaging system is not an implant: +1 die.
3) Wireless on, imaging system is an implant: +2 dice.

My character has a smartgun, goggles with a smartlink and a commlink. what bonus does he receive?

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <09-17-13/0752:19> »
I did a search because I was wondering why I saw a bunch of character with smartlinked goggles AND a datajack or other DNI.

Here is my source of confusion:

Quote from: SR5 Pg 433
The smartgun features are accessed either by universal access port cable to an
imaging device (like glasses, goggles, or a datajack for someone with cybereyes) or by a wireless connection working in concert with direct neural interface.

So a Smartgun get's all benefits if the wireless is on and the character has either 'trodes or a datajack according to the RAW.

Why then does everyone also buy cybereyes or eyewear and use precious capacity (at worse availability if during creation)  to buy a redundant smartlink system that doesn't even function as well as when using the wireless ability?
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <09-17-13/0829:52> »
The goggles/glasses/contacts/monical/helmet (external) version of smartlink only gives a +1 dice pool bonus as part of the smartgun wireless bonus while the cyberware version gives +2 dice pool bonus as part of the smartgun wireless bonus. You only get the accuracy +2 bonus if you have a smartlink (the sentence right before the above quote on page 433.

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <09-17-13/0834:23> »
I did a search because I was wondering why I saw a bunch of character with smartlinked goggles AND a datajack or other DNI.
Best reason to have a datajack and smartlink goggles is to get the noise reduction wireless bonus to avoid noise turning off the wireless bonuses of the smartgun+smartlink system.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <09-17-13/0843:12> »
1) you need a smartgun and a smartlink
- Having a smartgun (on your firearm) + smartlink (in goggles or your eyes) give your weapon +2 accuracy.

1a) smartlink is either external (goggles), this give +1 attack pool but only if wireless.
1b) smartlink can be internal (capacity in cybereyes or retinal modification to natural eyes), this give +2 attack pool but only if wireless.

2) you need a way to display the information from your smartlnk
- camera feed to fire around corners, ammo counter and type, heat buildup etc.

2a) you can display the information on your eyes with an image link (in goggles or your eyes).
2b) you can display the information inside your head with DNI (easiest way to get DNI is with a data jack or trodes).

3) you need to access the features
- Eject clip without touching the weapon, change fire mode without touching the weapon, fire the gun without pulling the trigger etc.

3a) smartgun -> Image link can be wired to goggles or data jack. Take a simple action to eject clip or change fire mode (AROs).
3b) smartgun -> DNI must be wireless and normally to trodes or data jack. Take a free action to eject clip or change fire mode (mental).
« Last Edit: <09-17-13/0854:57> by Xenon »

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #22 on: <09-17-13/0846:22> »
So a Smartgun get's all benefits if the wireless is on and the character has either 'trodes or a datajack according to the RAW.

Why then does everyone also buy cybereyes or eyewear and use precious capacity (at worse availability if during creation)  to buy a redundant smartlink system that doesn't even function as well as when using the wireless ability?
Because for some reason they hid critical information for the smartgun system in the smartlink item description.
Without a smartlink, a smartgun system just sends out data that isn’t received by anyone and has no effect.
So you have to have a smartlink for a smartgun system to work and the only way smartlinks are available is as cyberware or in an imaging device.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <09-17-13/0859:50> »
My character has a smartgun, goggles with a smartlink and a commlink. what bonus does he receive?
You normally need to manually touch your weapon to eject your clip taking the simple action Remove Clip and to change fire mode with the simple action Change Fire Mode.

If you have a cable between your smartgun and your goggles you get live camera feed to fire around corners without exposing yourself for -3 dice, ammo counter and ammo type information, heat buildup etc. (this is represented with +2 accuracy). You also get the ability to change weapon fire mode, eject clip and fire the weapon without physically touching the weapon (and instead moving around AROs in your Augmented Reality using the simple action Change Device Mode).

If you use wireless between your smartgun and your goggles you get all the above plus +1 attack pool.

If you had internal smartlink then you would get +2 attack pool instead of +1 when running wireless ON.

If you use wireless and had DNI (trodes or data jack) you would also the ability to eject clip and change fire mode with the free actions Eject Smartgun Clip and Change Linked Device Mode, using mental commands.

(You don't need the commlink)

Smartlink is required for your smartgun to give you any benefit at all. You need a smartlink (either internal or external).

DNI It is not required in addition to external smartlink goggles, but if you have data jack or other DNI (and don't connect your smartgun with a cable) you can use mental commands to control functions such as eject clip and change fire mode as a free action instead of a simple action.
« Last Edit: <09-17-13/0929:15> by Xenon »

BetaCAV

• Omae
  • 2-legged devil rat
« Reply #24 on: <09-17-13/1154:06> »
If the weapon has an imaging scope (capacity 3), you can put the smartlink in that, eliminating the need for eye replacement or other headware completely. Add trodes as mentioned above (or nanopaste?), and you pretty much get all most of the benefits without the essence loss.
[By which I meant changing fire modes, ejecting clips, etc., not the bonus attack dice, which aren't lost, just reduced. The only thing you don't get is the ability to see around corners with your cyber-eye-on-a-stick. ]
« Last Edit: <09-17-13/1323:58> by BetaCAV »

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #25 on: <09-17-13/1234:04> »
If the weapon has an imaging scope (capacity 3), you can put the smartlink in that, eliminating the need for eye replacement or other headware completely. Add trodes as mentioned above (or nanopaste?), and you pretty much get all the benefits without the essence loss.

Sorry, you are wrong: you need to pay Essence to gain the +2 wireless bonus.

Quote from: SR5, p.433
Wireless: A wireless smartlink provides a dice pool bonus to all attacks with the weapon: +1 if you’re using gear with a smartlink or +2 if you’re using an augmentation for which you paid Essence.

Emphasis mine.
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <09-17-13/1242:33> »
Yes
Well, you only get +1 dice pool bonus to all attacks with the weapon instead of +2 dice pool bonus, but as long as your weapon is wireless ON and your trodes provide you with DNI I see no reason why you would not get all the other benefits that a smartgun system can provide.

Removing or losing your trodes however, require that you now look through the imaging scope to see the ammo counter, ammo type, heat buildup etc (represented by the +2 accuracy bonus) and you no longer have augmented reality.

If you equip your imaging scope with an Image Link then you can use that for Augmented Reality to eject clip, switch fire mode or fire the weapon (but with a simple action since you don't have DNI without trodes to use mental commands that are free actions). And you need to look through the scope the whole time.

You could possible even detatch the imaging scope from your weapon. Use the in-build camera in the smartgun to send a live feed to your Image Link in your scope - holding the scope with one hand looking through your scope to and fire the weapon around corners without exposing yourself with your other hand (if your smartgun can be fired with one hand) ;)

You can also have Image Link, Smartlink and Flare Compensation in a pair of contact lenses (and Low Light in the on-board camera of your smartgun). Would probably save you a lot of hassle in the long run ;)

(you still only get +1 dice pool bonus to your attacks with the weapon as long as you don't pay essence for the smartlink. Alpha retinal modification to natural eyes or alpha rank 1 cybereyes that come with camera, image link and 4 capacity of which smartlink take 3 will cost you 0.16 essence).
« Last Edit: <09-17-13/1246:03> by Xenon »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <09-17-13/1311:15> »

Despite what certain individuals tell you, "wireless on" is not the same as being connected to the Matrix. You have to actually be logged on to a grid to be connected to the Matrix. "Wireless on" only makes it possible to set up the PAN.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <09-17-13/1346:19> »
To get the wireless bonus your device need to be both wireless ON and connected to the Matrix
(in 99.9% of all cases wireless ON mean your device is also on the Matrix)

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #29 on: <09-17-13/1353:35> »
(You don't need a data jack either. Not to get all bonuses.)

To get the ones that need DNI, you need either a datajack or an implanted Smartlink to get the DNI.
trodes are fine for DNI mate
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor