NEWS

Saw Pacific Rim... where is the RPG pen and paper game?

• 32 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #15 on: <07-16-13/1807:30> »
RPG? This thing is the closest thing to BattleTech I've seen yet. Let's think wargames, people...

Good point. There were at least three times I was watching and I thought, "I want to play Battletech again."
Exactly. And, although I don't like the two-pilot drift thing (it makes sense for the story, though), I think it makes much more sense for the gyroscopic nature of the pilot and all that for them to be standing and the mech mimicking their movements instead of the cockpit console we're used to.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <07-16-13/1900:29> »
It seems a lot cleaner interface now that we (mostly) have the science. Though there is something to be said for the mechs to be the 31st century equivalents of fighter aircraft.

But then again, fighters are going towards more intuitive and natural UI. :/

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #17 on: <07-16-13/1902:36> »
What about cthulutech?

Yeah, OK ,that fits even better :)

HokaHey
Medicineman

Cthulhutech

"
CthulhuTech is inspired by various anime such as Robotech, The Guyver and Neon Genesis Evangelion, and by cyberpunk games like Shadowrun. "

One strong point that is given in favor of Cthulhutech are the game's mecha options, of which the review states, "This makes games of all mecha pilots very viable since players have enough options to select unique mecha and still not step on one another’s toes."

All of the oceans and most of the coasts of the world are sparsely controlled by the Esoteric Order of Dagon, who use sea beasts, monstrous Deep Ones and Hybrid soldiers, brainwashed or conscripted humans, and their own brand of oceanic mecha in their search for R'lyeh, the lost underwater city of Cthulhu.

The setting features futuristic elements such as the architecturally efficient and futuristic arcologies, powered armor and mecha, energy weapons, and bio and nano-technology
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #18 on: <07-16-13/2155:48> »
Something.
Are... are you actually allowed to talk?  Like, I mean, stuff other than warnings and such?  It's like we're walking down the street in Greece, and suddenly overhear a guy talking about which team is his favorite.  You turn to see who it is, and Zeus meets your eyes and gives you a wink and nod.  Then he goes back to sipping his iced tea and chatting with Hephaestus.
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <07-16-13/2209:11> »
...I think it makes much more sense for the gyroscopic nature of the pilot and all that for them to be standing and the mech mimicking their movements instead of the cockpit console we're used to.

Given the AI systems of a BattleMech I'm keen with how they combine the gyro and the neurohelmet. Though the system I did like the best was Full Metal Panic!'s Bilateral Angle multiplier. Take the arc movement of the pilot's limbs and multiply by the BMSA value, so a 30 degree swing of my left arm with a BMSA of 3 means the mecha's arm moved 90 degrees.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #20 on: <07-17-13/2048:16> »
Are... are you actually allowed to talk?  Like, I mean, stuff other than warnings and such?  It's like we're walking down the street in Greece, and suddenly overhear a guy talking about which team is his favorite.  You turn to see who it is, and Zeus meets your eyes and gives you a wink and nod.  Then he goes back to sipping his iced tea and chatting with Hephaestus.
Remember, FastJack is posessed, or diseased or something. Some allowances have to be made.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #21 on: <07-18-13/1003:12> »
Remember, FastJack is posessed, or diseased or something. Some allowances have to be made.
I have a ban hammer and I'm not afraid to use it. :P

That being said, yes, I'm allowed to talk. I just do so carefully since I'm not a designer/developer working for Catalyst and don't want my opinions/house rules to be mistaken for "official" material. ;)

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #22 on: <07-18-13/2111:00> »
You have the wisdom of the Gods, oh might Perseus.  Do with us as you will!
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #23 on: <07-18-13/2332:06> »
RPG? This thing is the closest thing to BattleTech I've seen yet. Let's think wargames, people...

Good point. There were at least three times I was watching and I thought, "I want to play Battletech again."
I'm been playing Mechwarrior Online but the initial group of Shadowrun folks I have on my friends list stopped playing.

:(

About Rifts... fun system, but oh my god did they ever have problems with power creep with each new book.

-k

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <07-19-13/0051:32> »
About Rifts... fun system, but oh my god did they ever have problems with power creep with each new book.
I wonder if Palladium games regards it as a Problem or if they rather embraced Powercreep with open arms ?
The Gamesystem was Cranky and needed Houseruling on as many Levels as SR5 needs it now, but the Gameworld was Fascinating . A kind of ....Living & breathing Entity (  in a way similar to Shadowrun)

With a new Dance in a new Forum
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #25 on: <07-19-13/0108:46> »
I'm been playing Mechwarrior Online but the initial group of Shadowrun folks I have on my friends list stopped playing.

Shadowrun has a better lid on it (by leaving such things as blood magic to GMs) but also seems to tend to have it creep in later in the editions as more sourcebooks come out. I'm hoping that's not the case this time around. Perhaps the limit mechanism will help.

What, you don't like 4-armed giant Rahu men with Atlantean tattoos? And then there was the poor suckers that chose rogue scientists and vagabond characters.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <07-19-13/0112:12> »

Shadowrun has a better lid on it (by leaving such things as blood magic to GMs) but also seems to tend to have it creep in later in the editions as more sourcebooks come out. I'm hoping that's not the case this time around. Perhaps the limit mechanism will help.

What, you don't like 4-armed giant Rahu men with Atlantean tattoos? And then there was the poor suckers that chose rogue scientists and vagabond characters.

The worst offenders in Rifts are NPC Antagonists only as well. Rogue Scientists are freaking awesome for some things, just not combat. In the "Ultimate Edition" the Vagabond got a serious upgrade.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #27 on: <07-19-13/1743:12> »
I started out a RIFTS campaign as a scholar. She was so consistantly gimpy in combat eventually the GM had her get "left behind" after a botched raid on a mysterious lab.

Six months game time later, the PCs started running into this killer cyborg and her private borg army. At the end of the arc, after the climactic boss fight, the GM revealed the cyborg was in fact my old character, at which point the PCs figured out how to undo her brainwashing and control of the now considerably more powerful character was returned to me.

An entire story arc becuase our GM was frustrated at how gimpy my character was in fights.

:)

-k
« Last Edit: <07-19-13/1745:28> by KarmaInferno »

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <07-19-13/1756:03> »
Rifts is really far into the Great Idea/Horrible Rules end of the gaming spectrum.

Pacific Rim on the other hand is AWESOME!

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #29 on: <07-19-13/1857:07> »
started out a RIFTS campaign as a scholar. She was so consistantly gimpy in combat eventually the GM had her get "left behind" after a botched raid on a mysterious lab.

Six months game time later, the PCs started running into this killer cyborg and her private borg army. At the end of the arc, after the climactic boss fight, the GM revealed the cyborg was in fact my old character, at which point the PCs figured out how to undo her brainwashing and control of the now considerably more powerful character was returned to me.

An entire story arc becuase our GM was frustrated at how gimpy my character was in fights.
Awsome story! Our players were wise enough not to pick the weak archtypes. I did have an NPC rogue scholar that became somewhat famous, Norbert and his plastic man armor everyone laughed at.

RIFTS worked okay if A) If everyone played one of the "decent archtypes. For example, Juicers, Crazies, and Glitterboys. I loved playing Crazies. B) It kind of broke things if you allowed some the sourcebook stuff. I recall Rahumen in particular, because I remember steaming when one of my friends played one.

The rogue scientist only worked if the GM really worked at it. RIFTS skill system wasn't that great and if you are playing RIFTS in the first place it's likely to be a Pink Mohawk game.

Oh, another wonky thing was skills like boxing, that every character had to have, as it gave extra attacks in all forms of combat. So, for example all our squadron of Robotech pilots all had to be former boxers or lose an extra attack in our mechs, the main combat in the game. I guess it was a required course at the military academy. :)

Register