NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1560 on: <05-31-16/1717:09> »
Yes, it is a normal defense test, just like if you were defending against a gun or fist.

However, you just need to touch the target.  Blocking does not help, though I'm 50/50 on parrying.  Combat Sense helps, Dodge and Total Defense help, and if you take the target by surprise, they don't get to defend.
Incorrect; a defense test against a touch attack is no different than any other defense test. By RAW, you can use both Block and Parry to defend against a touch attack and if the defender gets more hits than the attacker then the attack fails. Your interpretation would be a house rule, and a valid one, but it's not RAW.

Touch attacks ARE different than any other attack, in a normal attack ties go to the defender.

Quote from: CRB p.187 TOUCH-ONLY ATTACK
If the intention of an attack is to simply make contact, whether to discharge a spell, plant a RFID tag, or just playing tag, than the attacker gains a +2 dice pool bonus. Additionally, if all that is needed is contact, the attacker and not the defender succeeds on a tie.

Asked, answered, repeated. Everyone is agreeing that ties go to the attacker for touch attacks, nobody is disputing that fact.

The rules make a very specific call out explaining the changes for touch attacks. Zweiblumen quoted this text, it states the attacker get +2 dice, and that a tie means that you touch. It doesn't state anything else regarding methods of defense. Therefore, we infer that all other rules regarding defense (block, parry, etc) applies as per normal melee defense.

Any other ruling/disallowing of actions is house-rule or alternate GM interpretation and is diverging from the Rules-as-Written.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1561 on: <05-31-16/2014:19> »
Asked, answered, repeated. Everyone is agreeing that ties go to the attacker for touch attacks, nobody is disputing that fact.

The rules make a very specific call out explaining the changes for touch attacks. Zweiblumen quoted this text, it states the attacker get +2 dice, and that a tie means that you touch. It doesn't state anything else regarding methods of defense. Therefore, we infer that all other rules regarding defense (block, parry, etc) applies as per normal melee defense.

Any other ruling/disallowing of actions is house-rule or alternate GM interpretation and is diverging from the Rules-as-Written.

I was just pointing out the missing data about ties going to defender as HB said that Touch Only defense was "no different."   To be clear, I agree about dodge/block/full defense/etc etc.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #1562 on: <06-05-16/2251:59> »
Hey, once again!

Is it possible to make a Teamwork test with Spellcasting? I am aware that under certain circumstances like Ritual Spellcasting and/or Spirits involved it's possible: I am asking 'bout two spellcasters with a Spellcasting test.
Booyah!

Aaron

« Reply #1563 on: <06-06-16/1935:10> »
Hey, once again!

Is it possible to make a Teamwork test with Spellcasting? I am aware that under certain circumstances like Ritual Spellcasting and/or Spirits involved it's possible: I am asking 'bout two spellcasters with a Spellcasting test.

This is a great question. After going through the rules for an admittedly short amount of time, I think the answer is no. The Teamwork Test rules are explicit about people being able to work together, and Spellcasting is explicitly about channeling mana through oneself as a force of will. I think it doesn't work for the same reason you can't get Teamwork on a Surprise Test or a Toxin Resistance Test--it's entirely internal.

This is one of my looser interpretations, though, and I only looked at the core rules. I'm certain that the rules as intended are that teamwork in Sorcery is Ritual Spellcasting.

Thanks!

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1564 on: <06-07-16/0139:59> »
Huh.

So, jam from hot sim, go from VR to AR, cut the feed to your image link, leave the metalink running for noise.

And if you get enough hits on the jamming, the problem is not overcoming noise penalties to attack you.  It's having enough noise reduction to get that noise penalty under your device rating so you can go online at all.

From what I read, "As long as you do not use the device for any further Matrix actions, the device adds any hits...".   Switch Interface Mode is a Matrix Action.  Therefore as soon as you "go from VR to AR, you break the jam.  Furthermore, if you Jam Signals while in VR, the Noise would likely kill your own connection, causing dumpshock to you.  Jam Signal says absolutely nothing about your own device being immune.

I see this as an AR only, fire-and-forget, if-I-can't-deck-then-no-one-can Action
Shadowrun: Anarchy Resources (GM Screens, Character Sheets, New NPCs, House Rules) at: www.surprisethreat.com

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #1565 on: <06-07-16/0230:53> »
Hey, once again!

This is a great question. After going through the rules for an admittedly short amount of time, I think the answer is no. The Teamwork Test rules are explicit about people being able to work together, and Spellcasting is explicitly about channeling mana through oneself as a force of will. I think it doesn't work for the same reason you can't get Teamwork on a Surprise Test or a Toxin Resistance Test--it's entirely internal.

This is one of my looser interpretations, though, and I only looked at the core rules. I'm certain that the rules as intended are that teamwork in Sorcery is Ritual Spellcasting.

Thanks!
At the same time, there's nothing really saying you can't, nor that you can't help someone else guide the flow of mana.

So, like most rules questions, the answer is... "Eh."

Leadership can, without a doubt, help on Spellcraft rolls.  I find it less odd for Spellcraft to help Spellcraft rolls, though the fine details are a table call.  To help someone cast a spell, do you need to know that same spell?  Probably.  If you help someone cast a spell, does that mean you take drain, too?  I'd say yes, which can help mitigate the shenanigans of the party's mages teamworking with one another for every out-of-combat buff spell.

Rituals, meanwhile, have their own unique shenanigans that have entirely different effects from teamwork spellcasting.  And has its own rules for teamwork ritual spellcasting.  And ritual spellcasting can be done solo.

Bendicott

• Newb
« Reply #1566 on: <06-17-16/1114:47> »
I've seen it mentioned a few times on other forums that surplus hits on an extended test can reduce the required time. However, I haven't been able to find anything in the book to support this - is this a thing in SR5, and if so, do you know where I can find the relevant info in the book?

Aaron

« Reply #1567 on: <06-17-16/1746:45> »
I've seen it mentioned a few times on other forums that surplus hits on an extended test can reduce the required time. However, I haven't been able to find anything in the book to support this - is this a thing in SR5, and if so, do you know where I can find the relevant info in the book?

I think it depends entirely on the test. Some tests specifically say that you can split your hits between "go faster" and "do better."

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #1568 on: <06-30-16/2253:55> »
Why 'm the only one askin' questions?

An icon displayed on the Matrix must give a hint of the function of the device. What about a deck? Could you use a "phone" icon for a deck? 'Cause cyberdecks may function like commlinks.
Booyah!

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #1569 on: <07-01-16/0123:37> »
What you describe is the function of the Wrapper program.

Aaron

« Reply #1570 on: <07-01-16/0508:25> »
I suppose you could make it look like a phone with the caveat that the metadata made it clear that it's a cyberdeck. The idea is that things look like what they are in the Matrix, notwithstanding what Blue Rose said. =i)

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #1571 on: <07-12-16/1726:02> »
Touch and line of sight.
For a spell that requires touch or line of sight.
The target is safe behind a wall regardless of material as long as you can't see them it.
What about a full set of sealed armor with mirrored visor?
A heavy hooded cloak?
What do you actually need to touch/see to be able to target?
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1572 on: <07-13-16/0946:49> »
Touch and line of sight.
For a spell that requires touch or line of sight.
The target is safe behind a wall regardless of material as long as you can't see them it.
What about a full set of sealed armor with mirrored visor?
A heavy hooded cloak?
What do you actually need to touch/see to be able to target?

This has come up multiple times.

The short answer is:
Anything that is worn by a character has the character's aura 'bleed' through it, thus allowing the targeting of both direct spells and touch spells with no problem or penalty.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #1573 on: <07-14-16/1441:40> »
I know the discussion isn't a new one.  I have a player that loves to argue semantics.

So the target is in his jockey shorts hiding behind a kevlar curtain. He's in direct contact and using the curtain as his armor rating.  Does this count as "aura bleed"?

I have to choose my answers carefully, cause I know he'll extrapolate the answer to some nefarious ends.
« Last Edit: <07-14-16/1443:43> by Prime Mover »
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #1574 on: <07-14-16/1539:19> »
I know the discussion isn't a new one.  I have a player that loves to argue semantics.

So the target is in his jockey shorts hiding behind a kevlar curtain. He's in direct contact and using the curtain as his armor rating.  Does this count as "aura bleed"?

I have to choose my answers carefully, cause I know he'll extrapolate the answer to some nefarious ends.

A Curtain (Kevlar or otherwise) is not a worn article of clothing (and make no mistake, armor still counts as clothing, even the Full Body Armor). No Aura Bleed.

That said, if the Curtain is sheer enough to see through, even partially, you can target him... may have a small penalty for obscurement, but not much... If it is totally opaque, then no targeting directly through either eyesight or astral perception. You must go about it differently, or use blind fire rules.   8)
« Last Edit: <07-14-16/1541:11> by Tym Jalynsfein »
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll