NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Aaron

« Reply #1545 on: <05-27-16/1826:37> »
Huh.

So, jam from hot sim, go from VR to AR, cut the feed to your image link, leave the metalink running for noise.

And if you get enough hits on the jamming, the problem is not overcoming noise penalties to attack you.  It's having enough noise reduction to get that noise penalty under your device rating so you can go online at all.

Sure, but what device is running your persona? I think you can only have one persona at a time, which means only one device at a time, and if that device is the Metalink, you could be in for a bit of ... fun.

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #1546 on: <05-27-16/1917:45> »
Why not?

A persona is nothing more than a device-generated avatar.  You couldn't operate multiple at the same time.  However, it's not like you're a technomancer forming your persona with your brain.  And the second you're not in VR, especially if you disconnect DNI, your device has nothing to do with you.

For a decker, the device is the absolute source of the persona.  The operator merely controls it.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1547 on: <05-27-16/1938:28> »
Why would you need to run your persona on the metalink that's doing the Jam Signals?  Put the metalink online, go VR via whatever other device you want to use, pump up the NR as much as you can so you don't get dumped once you start the jamming, and then perform the Jam Signals command on the other device that you are an owner of.  Or worse case, Control Device on the device you own, you've got 4 marks on it anyway, to have it perform the Jam Signals command.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1548 on: <05-27-16/1943:12> »
Page 235 of the CRB. Persona. 4th sentence. First paragraph.

"You can only run one persona at a time; switching requires you to reboot both the device you're currently on and the device to which you want to shift your persona"

Me thinks you need to refresh yourself on personas Blue Rose, as you understanding of what they are is a little off, going by your desciption VS what is written.

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #1549 on: <05-27-16/2027:45> »
*Reads.*

But... why?  How?  That makes absolutely no sense.

You don't need DNI in any capacity to operate a matrix enabled device.  It's just an object.  A thing.  If you have a commlink in your hand, it's doing its own thing entirely.

The way that paragraph reads, if you have a phone in each hand, no DNI, pure analog interface, and Google search taco stands in Touristville, only one of them works because you can only generate one persona with which to interact with the matrix.

Which... is... impossible.  Machines don't work that way.  There is no connection between you and the machine.  There is no place that persona can possibly come from other than the device, because it is not you.  It is not connected to you.

What the frag?

Not that it particularly matters, in this case.  The idea is to take down the entire matrix in the area so no one can use it.  It's gonna be a shotgun in your hands from that point, not a cyberdeck.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1550 on: <05-27-16/2140:39> »
My guess?

To prevent cheesemonkey players and GM's from doing a  gang-bang matrix F-up by daisy chaining 200 decks together to act as a 'team' for tests..... using the line of thought you just outlined....

With the rules being what they are (online with a single device at a time) you cut out such antics, thus making both the rules AND flow of the game simple and fast.....

And also by limiting both the number of decives that can be used simutaniously, you also cut down on the traditional 'Decker mini-game' that decking used to be back in 1-3 edition days..... where opening a single door could take up to 30 minutes of table time rolling dice on checks.....

If you have the time, and want to know what a mental breakdown feels like, I encourage you to read up on 2e decking rules :D

I'll call the hospital and make sure they have padded room for you :D

<My old GM put it like this: If given the choice of running a complete decking run in 2e SR, OR chewing broken glass for 5 minutes before eating a bag of lemons rinds and all..... He'll take the glass and lemons. Less pain inducing.>
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #1551 on: <05-28-16/1508:58> »
Smackdown, CRB, 57.

Do you need to have available Edge? Can you burn without daily Edge uses?
Booyah!

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #1552 on: <05-28-16/1653:49> »
You do not need any available edge in order to burn edge. Generally, if you're doing a smackdown, it's either because you're out of edge or you are trying something crazy. 

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #1553 on: <05-29-16/2249:21> »
Punch, CRB, 283.

Enemy defends with Reaction + Intuition. Is it a Defense test? Do you add Combat Sense (adept power or spell) and/or Dodge/Parry/Block/Total Defense?

If you're invisible/hidden and you use Punch on an unaware enemy, does the enemy has a Reaction + Intuition test?
Booyah!

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #1554 on: <05-30-16/0035:51> »
Yes, it is a normal defense test, just like if you were defending against a gun or fist.

However, you just need to touch the target.  Blocking does not help, though I'm 50/50 on parrying.  Combat Sense helps, Dodge and Total Defense help, and if you take the target by surprise, they don't get to defend.

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #1555 on: <05-30-16/1020:08> »
Thanks for both answers.
Booyah!

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1556 on: <05-30-16/1614:16> »
Yes, it is a normal defense test, just like if you were defending against a gun or fist.

However, you just need to touch the target.  Blocking does not help, though I'm 50/50 on parrying.  Combat Sense helps, Dodge and Total Defense help, and if you take the target by surprise, they don't get to defend.
Incorrect; a defense test against a touch attack is no different than any other defense test. By RAW, you can use both Block and Parry to defend against a touch attack and if the defender gets more hits than the attacker then the attack fails. Your interpretation would be a house rule, and a valid one, but it's not RAW.

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #1557 on: <05-30-16/1643:07> »
Makes you wonder how you block someone from touching your body... by using your body. O.o

That said, important note; touch attacks only need to touch, so you don't need to beat your opponent's defense roll; only meet it.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1558 on: <05-31-16/1633:41> »
The same way you block someone attacking you with shock gloves; by not letting their hands touch your body. Nowhere in the RAW is it specified that you can cast a touch attack spell by rubbing your crotch on your opponent; as no exceptions to the general rule that a touch attack is still a melee attack are given, one must therefore conclude that the normal rules for making melee defense tests apply.

And if you look closely, you'll note that I already specified that the defender must get more hits than the attacker in the case of touch attacks.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1559 on: <05-31-16/1645:47> »

Incorrect; a defense test against a touch attack is no different than any other defense test. By RAW, you can use both Block and Parry to defend against a touch attack and if the defender gets more hits than the attacker then the attack fails. Your interpretation would be a house rule, and a valid one, but it's not RAW.

Touch attacks ARE different than any other attack, in a normal attack ties go to the defender.

Quote from: CRB p.187 TOUCH-ONLY ATTACK
If the intention of an attack is to simply make contact, whether to discharge a spell, plant a RFID tag, or just playing tag, than the attacker gains a +2 dice pool bonus. Additionally, if all that is needed is contact, the attacker and not the defender succeeds on a tie.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal