NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1515 on: <04-19-16/0332:55> »
Pilot program:
Yes, raising Pilot raises Device Rating, which raises Firewall and Data processing.

Can you point to where the books say that? I don't doubt that it is possible, but I don't recall anything saying that the Pilot rating is the same as or equals the Device Rating...

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1516 on: <04-19-16/0642:11> »
Pilot program:
Yes, raising Pilot raises Device Rating, which raises Firewall and Data processing.

Can you point to where the books say that? I don't doubt that it is possible, but I don't recall anything saying that the Pilot rating is the same as or equals the Device Rating...
It's a new rule introduced by Rigger 5.0.

Quote from: Rigger 5.0 page 127
The Pilot program determines the Rating of the drone as a whole, serves as the primary source of attributes for skill tests, serves as a cap on the highest rating autosoft the drone can run, and more.

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #1517 on: <04-19-16/1022:20> »
It's a new rule introduced by Rigger 5.0.

Quote from: Rigger 5.0 page 127
The Pilot program determines the Rating of the drone as a whole, serves as the primary source of attributes for skill tests, serves as a cap on the highest rating autosoft the drone can run, and more.

Not even a new rule
Quote from: SR5 CRB p.269 Second paragraph of Drones in the Matrix
The Device Rating of a drone is the same as its Pilot Rating, meaning all of its Matrix attributes are equal to the Pilot Rating.
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1518 on: <04-19-16/1037:57> »
Hah, good find, SichoPhiend.

I guess the only new part introduced by Rigger 5.0 is the ability to upgrade the Pilot rating, thus upgrading the Firewall and Data Processing.

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #1519 on: <04-22-16/1817:02> »
Thank y'all.

Questino about the Jam Signals matrix action.

How long does it last?  Does it last until you do something else with the device, or do you have to spend an action to reroll it every round?  Can you put a rating 1 attack dongle on your metalink, then spend edge to push the limit and get ten hits and let your metalink just sit there jamming like it was a turbocharged rating 10 area jammer that can cover two football fields at full strength, while you're going around doing other stuff?

Sternenwind

• Chummer
  • ~maunz~
« Reply #1520 on: <04-24-16/0840:25> »
Rigger 5 page 33; Motion Sickness
Q: What is the Power of Motion Sickness?

ref.: SR5 page 408 Toxin, Power and SR5 page 409 Toxin, Effect, Nausea

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #1521 on: <04-26-16/2112:20> »
Elemental Aura!

If I have a 6P fist and get six hits on a force 6 Fire Aura, does that mean my fists are now 12P/-6 [Fire] resisted by body + armor + fire proofing, or is it a separate soak roll against the 6P fist and the 6P/-6 [Fire] fire aura?

Does counterspelling come into the equation at any point?

Sternenwind

• Chummer
  • ~maunz~
« Reply #1522 on: <04-27-16/0849:43> »
yes no no

-SR5 p.396 Energy Aura
... The critter adds its Magic to the Damage Value of any melee attack it makes. The damage may have a specific type (Elemental Damage, p. 170) and has an AP of –(critter’s Magic). ...

-SR5 p.171 Fire Armor Penetration
Fire-based spells: Fire AP = spell Force
To determine if something catches fire ....

-SR5 p.283 Combat Spells indirect
... with an AP equal to –(Force).

- There was a clarification about Stun Baton that i can not find. It basically said that, if you hit with a stun baton, you do either electricity damage or physical damage, and not both no matter how hard you hit someone.

SG p.115 [Element] Aura
... Said auras increase the Damage Value of any melee attacks by the caster’s hits ... Attacks are also treated as Cold, Electricity, Fire, or some other elemental damage (p. 105 and p. 170, SR5), and have the armor penetration appropriate to each attack.

Following the above, in general every attack is dealing damage only once. Toxin could be the exemption. And magical Attacks with AP, have a AP equal to its Force.

Elemental Strike  (SG p.170) doesn't change the DV, it only adds a elemental Effect, and Elemental Body has a specific AP.

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #1523 on: <04-28-16/1108:14> »
Hey, it's me again.

Run for your life/Dive on the grenade. Run & Gun, 125.

What is exactly remaining movement? Running speed counts?
Booyah!

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1524 on: <04-28-16/1112:27> »
"Remaining movement" should refer to the amount of unused Movement (Agility x2/x4 for most) that a character has for the Combat Turn.

So if a character has moved his entire Agility x4 and is then targeted by a grenade, he can't use Run For Your Life.

If, however, he's only moved Agility x2 he would be able to move up to his Agility x4 assuming he has enough Initiative to take the -5 for Interrupt action; since you're already taking a -5 to Initiative, I think it's fair to allow the necessary Free Action for running, as you'd also be counting as running for the rest of the Combat Turn and as such couldn't use any other Free actions. This is a GM call, though.
« Last Edit: <04-28-16/1114:49> by Herr Brackhaus »

wraith

• Chummer
  • just another ghost in the machine
« Reply #1525 on: <05-07-16/0106:44> »
Bumping this, as I never did see a response and it came up in game the other week.

Just a bit of clarification, is this the proper methodology?

Say you slap a quarter kilo of minimum rating (6) plastique in a directional shaped charge (45 degree arc to only blow into the room) onto an apartment door to blow it in.  Logic + Demolitions scores four successes. So our equation looks like this :

Rating + (Successes on Demolitions + Logic) x sqrt(number of kilograms of explosive)

[6 + 4] x sqrt(.25) = 10 x .5 = 5

So we've got a DV 5 explosion.

Quote from: SR5, Page 436
An explosive’s Damage Value is calculated
as its Rating (modified by the Demolitions Test,
if you made one) times the square root of the
number of kilograms used (rounded down). The
Blast value for a circular explosion is –2 per meter,
while the Blast value for a directional explosion
(up to 60 degrees in a specific direction)
is –1 per meter. When explosives are attached
directly to a target, the target’s armor is halved;
otherwise the explosive has an AP value of –2.
If an explosion destroys a barrier, it creates a
cloud of deadly shrapnel that threatens an area
far bigger than the actual blast—the shrapnel blast
has a DV equal to the explosive’s DV minus the
Structure rating of the barrier, with a Blast of –1/m.

Quote from: SR5, Page 197
If a character intends to destroy a barrier (or knock a hole
in it), resolve the attack normally. Since barriers can’t
dodge, the attack test is unopposed. The purpose of the
attack test is to generate extra hits to add to the Damage
Value. If a character got no hits, then only apply the base
Damage Value. The only way a character could “miss”
is if he got a critical glitch on the attack test, thus proving
themselves literally unable to hit the broad side of a
barn. A character may use Demolitions as the attack skill
if he has the proper materials and time to set charges.

Before rolling the barrier’s damage resistance test,
adjust the modified Damage Value to reflect the type of
attack, as noted on the Damaging Barriers Table.

Now then, onto what happens when it goes boom.

First, the barrier gets to roll a damage resistance test, with structure + armor.  Given this is a standard door, it has Structure 2 and Armor 4 per the chart on pg 197.  However, since this is an explosive placed up against the door, we're not done with the math and ready to roll yet.  Per the 'Damaging Barriers' chart on page 198, explosives in contact with the barrier get to use Base DV times two.  As this section quotes a completely different method of blowing up a door than the one under Demolitions :

We're going to assume the Base DV of this explosive is the one calculated above, despite it having the results of a demolitions + logic roll added in, as the rules on 197 state that the table's results adjust the modified DV.  So the next roll is as follows :

2 (structure) + 4 (armor) dice rolled vs 5 (base DV) x 2 (per damaging barriers chart)

So 6 dice vs DV 10.

Assuming an average roll on 6 dice, the barrier gets 4 successes.  This leaves 6 DV unsoaked, which is more than the 2 structure the door has, and thus the door has been damaged!

Per 'Damaging A Barrier', page 197-198,  The remaining 6 successes are divided by the door's structure to determine the extent of the damage. 1 square meter of hole is generated per multiple of the structure left over in DV.  Thus here, a 3 square meter hole would be generated.

We'll assume most apartments don't have a 3 square meter door.  Now back to page 436!

If an explosion destroys a barrier, it creates a
cloud of deadly shrapnel that threatens an area
far bigger than the actual blast—the shrapnel blast
has a DV equal to the explosive’s DV minus the
Structure rating of the barrier, with a Blast of –1/m.

The penetrating a barrier section on page 197-8 doesn't actually have any specifics at all as to how you actually destroy a barrier, only how to punch a hole in one.  In this case, I'm going to go with the assumption that if the hole is larger than the object, that object is destroyed.

This door has clearly been destroyed!

Therefore, anyone on the other side of this door needs to soak :

The 5 DV (AP-2) (Minus 1 DV per meter as this is a directional explosion) explosion/blast effect itself.

-AND-

The secondary shrapnel explosion, at :

5 (Explosion DV) - 2 (structure rating of the door) with a Blast of -1 per meter.

So the door is gone, and the guy standing behind it is soaking two hits, one at 5DV (AP-2) and one at 3 DV.

As this is a shaped explosion, the people on the outside of the door do not have to soak it as well. If this was a standard spherical explosion, they would have to soak 5 DV (AP-2) -2 per meter from the door.

I have intentionally assumed this apartment is big enough that we don't have to calculate the blast reflection as well.

Now we move on to the next combat turn, and hopefully success on the part of the runners storming the apartment.

You see the number of assumptions I had to make up there? This is why I'm asking if this is an errata point or rules as intended, because there are details missing and conflicting rules in these two sections that need clarification.  Also, there's a typo in the earlier part of that same rule on page 436. The rules for barriers are not on page 194 as quoted, they're on page 197.

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #1526 on: <05-15-16/1633:35> »
To be clear...

Can you learn a spell without the ability to cast it?

If you are an aspected conjurer, can you spend karma to learn spells to pass on to spirits of man that you summon, without the ability to cast those spells, or is that power for spirits of man unavailable?

SIlverBudda

• Newb
« Reply #1527 on: <05-20-16/0629:20> »
What is the highest attribute you have ever had / seen. Just curios.
With great power comes great......frak it just shoot them!!!

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1528 on: <05-20-16/0701:19> »
Harlequin in the SR4 Street Legends compendium has a Magic attribute of 30, I think.

SIlverBudda

• Newb
« Reply #1529 on: <05-20-16/0925:25> »
I was think more along the lines of a player character. Sorry for not clarifying. But 30 out he must hit like a truck. I always liked Harlequin.
With great power comes great......frak it just shoot them!!!