NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1440 on: <11-04-15/0358:50> »
When you remove 'ware there's an essence hole. You don't get the essence back. However, the essence hole is filled up first before you lose any more essence if you put new things in.

example, you have a character that has a tricked out cyberarm and a total essence of 5.
He later removes the cyberarm and replaces it with a beta version.
He now has a .3 essence hole because the new arm is .7 and not 1 but he's still at 5 Essence.
Later he adds Cerebellum Boosters 2. The first .3 of the .4 fill up the essence hole thus meaning he loses just .1 more essence and is now at total essence of 4.9
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

PortMan

• Newb
« Reply #1441 on: <11-05-15/1359:20> »
Hey All!
I thought that i knew what the Matrix is,but recently i found something new:
The first piece of assistance comes from your commlink, which automatically filters out the least interesting icons.(SR 5 pg 217)
Also cutting down on the visual noise is the fact that some icons are deliberately hidden from view, such as locks and other security devices, baby monitors, maintenance monitors, and of course people who prefer not to be seen. (SR 5 pg 217)
I thought the tricks like this are possible if someone or something use Running silent function.So,how can i find this tricky icons?Is it like- Roll Matrix Perception "I want to know every baby monitor device icon in 100m radius?Can i find every security device like this?

They’re clever, often using homemade decks assembled from commlink parts, sweat, and chutzpah.(RF page 194 Script Kiddie description)
How can i make  deck like this?Is it any test?

bull30548

• Newb
« Reply #1442 on: <11-19-15/1948:49> »
I can't find an answer to this otherwise I wouldn't be asking.  It is a faq/ fact checking.  So I was looking at life modules and the sample character they show at the end on page 84-86 and I noticed an issue.  On the first table the character picks up Computer and by the 4th table he picks up the electronics skill group but they still have the computer skill listed at the end.  So what happens in this case?  Just thought i point out the issue and try to find an answer to a question in the process.
GM Guy
Catalyst Game Labs Agent

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #1443 on: <11-19-15/2241:29> »
Hey All!
The first piece of assistance comes from your commlink, which automatically filters out the least interesting icons.(SR 5 pg 217)
Also cutting down on the visual noise is the fact that some icons are deliberately hidden from view, such as locks and other security devices, baby monitors, maintenance monitors, and of course people who prefer not to be seen. (SR 5 pg 217)
I thought the tricks like this are possible if someone or something use Running silent function.So,how can i find this tricky icons?Is it like- Roll Matrix Perception "I want to know every baby monitor device icon in 100m radius?Can i find every security device like this?

They’re clever, often using homemade decks assembled from commlink parts, sweat, and chutzpah.(RF page 194 Script Kiddie description)
All those hidden Icons are just filtered search results. None of those items are actually "invisible" except those actually Running Silent. The rest aren't showing up b/c the default display says to hide them. Like when you sort out your email to Family, Friends, Work, Mailing Lists, and Spam... all those emails came in, you just chose which to pay more attention. So to find the locks, monitors, etc. you just change the filter settings. That shouldn't even take a roll, especially if you know what you're looking for. You don't need to see EVERY Icon after all.

Another way to find erroneous devices, is to look for certain traits. They may have made a Cyberdeck out of a calculator, but it's still going to have an Attack and Sleaze rating that an ordinary calculator never would. So roll Matrix Perception and say "show me devices with a measurable Attack or Sleaze rating". Suddenly, you spot a Deck here or there, and a "calculator" in that guy's pocket.

As for making them on your own, Data Trails pg 62 covers "non form factor Cyberdecks", which cost 20% more with Avail +3.
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

PortMan

• Newb
« Reply #1444 on: <11-20-15/0833:32> »
Hey All!

All those hidden Icons are just filtered search results. None of those items are actually "invisible" except those actually Running Silent. The rest aren't showing up b/c the default display says to hide them. Like when you sort out your email to Family, Friends, Work, Mailing Lists, and Spam... all those emails came in, you just chose which to pay more attention. So to find the locks, monitors, etc. you just change the filter settings. That shouldn't even take a roll, especially if you know what you're looking for. You don't need to see EVERY Icon after all.

Another way to find erroneous devices, is to look for certain traits. They may have made a Cyberdeck out of a calculator, but it's still going to have an Attack and Sleaze rating that an ordinary calculator never would. So roll Matrix Perception and say "show me devices with a measurable Attack or Sleaze rating". Suddenly, you spot a Deck here or there, and a "calculator" in that guy's pocket.

As for making them on your own, Data Trails pg 62 covers "non form factor Cyberdecks", which cost 20% more with Avail +3.

Thanks!
Unfortunately for me,ive got another moments to clarify( pls,help me if you can.
If i understand all matrix things right,if i know the location of the device,i can hack it.That is not neccesary,but if i need specifica printer and i dont wanna to hack and trace about 20 printers in the building,i need to know it.Lets imagine,there is a printer machine on the 3th floor,in the conference room.Probably i hacked it one or two weeks ago.Then,IT deparment changed the printer.Do i still need roll Matrix perception test to know his ID, IP to hack it or all i just need is to know that the printer is there?
Can i spot devices in the specifica room?There are mini and micro drones,and if i saw them in my 100m radius,can i say-Roll Matrix Perception "Is it any Drones in this or that room?"

Halinn

• Chummer
« Reply #1445 on: <11-21-15/1018:03> »
I can't find an answer to this otherwise I wouldn't be asking.  It is a faq/ fact checking.  So I was looking at life modules and the sample character they show at the end on page 84-86 and I noticed an issue.  On the first table the character picks up Computer and by the 4th table he picks up the electronics skill group but they still have the computer skill listed at the end.  So what happens in this case?  Just thought i point out the issue and try to find an answer to a question in the process.

For life modules, when you get a skill group, you just add it to the skills.

Page 66: "If a skill group is selected but previous selections have made skills in the group have different value, simply add one rank to each skill in the group"

Cesar 052

• Newb
« Reply #1446 on: <12-01-15/1748:18> »
I know it probably has already been asked but, do shapeshifters have regeneration, dual natured, silver vulnerability and a severe allergy toward silver?

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1447 on: <12-01-15/2114:56> »
I know it probably has already been asked but, do shapeshifters have regeneration, dual natured, silver vulnerability and a severe allergy toward silver?

no on all counts

but on the bright side there's nothing stopping them from using implant, in both forms, now.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1448 on: <12-02-15/2138:40> »
Quote from: gradivus link=topic=11514.msg416066#msg416066internalwaredate=1449022496

no on all counts

but on the bright side there's nothing stopping them from using implant, in both forms, now.

The Shift power ejects all non-deltaware and all non fully internal ware. So Shifters still can't implant most ware if they want to keep it.

Side Note: I'm not convinced the lack of all those powers was intentional...

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1449 on: <12-08-15/2326:50> »
Quote from: gradivus link=topic=11514.msg416066#msg416066internalwaredate=1449022496

no on all counts

The Shift power ejects all non-deltaware and all non fully internal ware. So Shifters still can't implant most ware if they want to keep it.

so your saying the shift power from Aetherology IS the rule for the shift power in Run Faster because Run Faster does not have rules for it... does that also mean the Vanish power in Aetherology is the power that Pixie's have? Beccause up to this point, your the first Catylyst Demo member to link the two as far as I know.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1450 on: <12-09-15/0515:00> »

so your saying the shift power from Aetherology IS the rule for the shift power in Run Faster because Run Faster does not have rules for it... does that also mean the Vanish power in Aetherology is the power that Pixie's have? Beccause up to this point, your the first Catylyst Demo member to link the two as far as I know.

First up, I just want to make sure it is clear, I'm a Demo Agent, not Catalyst staff. I run Missions at conventions, I don't have any more access to official rules than you do.

The Shift power in Aetherology is an official printing for the Shift power in Fifth Edition, so it would be my go-to for an official rule. It is also not a huge change from the 4th edition version of the power.

Vanish has a semi-official response. The Missions FAQ has touched on that issue. The Vanish for Pixies is a drawback, it makes them completely disappear when they die. It is somewhat related, but different from the power. If you want the full write-up, take a look at the Runner's Companion from 4th or the newest Missions FAQ v0.1

NoxMortem

• Newb
« Reply #1451 on: <12-22-15/1727:21> »
Do essence holes now exist in SR5 or do they not exist? The google search revealed many many posts all referring to "it is in the missions and should be in the cyberware/bioware book". Now chrome & flesh is out but there is no rule about essence holes in it.  The only rule in all SR5 publications I am aware of mentioning it is page 156 chrome & flesh which says: genetech does never ever create an essence hole, beside I could not find a rule in SR5 stating that anything does create one.
« Last Edit: <12-22-15/1749:26> by NoxMortem »

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1452 on: <12-23-15/1636:58> »
Do essence holes now exist in SR5 or do they not exist? The google search revealed many many posts all referring to "it is in the missions and should be in the cyberware/bioware book". Now chrome & flesh is out but there is no rule about essence holes in it.  The only rule in all SR5 publications I am aware of mentioning it is page 156 chrome & flesh which says: genetech does never ever create an essence hole, beside I could not find a rule in SR5 stating that anything does create one.

As far as I'm aware there is no explicit rules reference for "essence holes" as you said. However there is plenty of support for the concept. You already mentioned that genetech states that the essence loss from it cannot be recovered. There is also genetech specifically for regaining lost essence, which when combined with the fact that the core rules say 'ware lowers essence (but never says removing it gives it back) we have the concept of an essence hole.

Now, the only issue is that as far as I'm aware, SR5 does not have an explicit rule for the ability to implant 'ware and have it take away from the "hole" first before digging into fresh essence.

Halinn

• Chummer
« Reply #1453 on: <12-23-15/2128:33> »
Authors have said that the only reason essence holes aren't mentioned in Chrome Flesh is that they erroneously thought that it was already in the core book.

ClaytonCross

• Chummer
  • A rigger at heart, a confused mess in practice.
« Reply #1454 on: <01-05-16/2330:04> »
I posted about this severally to see if any of the senor guys had clear answers but I don't see one yet, they look like a good questions for FAQ.
http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=23026.0

1. According to the Mount descriptions they are capable of absorbing most if not all recoil for weapons they are designed/fitted with. If this is true a turret mounted on a building would have no RC limit and would never need to retarget or suffer a penalty from too much recoil. A drone however suffers a recoil to the chassis for mounted weapons. In that case it would seem like the RC of the weapon would be added to the bodies limit since mount is supposed to assist in managing the weapon but not using the weapons RC or having an RC listed on mounts results in an effective lose of any RC from the mount or the gun. While the real world is not always the best justification for gaming, I would say even a rotary drone IRL would be able to absorb some amount of recoil with sliders and gyros. So can mounts allow for some RC for drones ether by type (standard/heavy) or  by transference of weapon RC?

2. Clarification on duel wielding drones. Another topic discussed in the above post was the drones duel wielding weapons. A. Since they don't have an off hand they suffer no off hand penalty. B. They would need to only fire weapons of the same model in the same fire mode at the same time restricted by the running autosoft issueing group commands the way riggers do via RCC to control multipdrones. C. Targeting the same unit would only add burst rounds and recoil basically just like firing longer bursts. D. Actually multi targeting 2 units would either require a repeat instance of the autosoft to run for each additional mount/target or the drones are considered to be giving orders to the smartgun enable mounts that share and autosoft in which case the smartgun/mount systems are both running to autosoft on their own as turrets and they just act as separate attacks against different opponents (not the same one, that's burst damage) with a pre-shared recoil but independent burst round defense adjustments on their independent targets.
I write long and repetitive trying to be clear, I am bad at examples, so people commonly skim my posts pull out the idea they think I mean or want to argue against or focus on my bad example instead of my actual point. I apologies for the confusion my failure to be clear and concise creates.