NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

demion

• Newb
« Reply #1410 on: <08-20-15/1309:49> »
Do you get a defense roll against area damage from granates or spells? The attacker needs to roll the treshold of 3 to hit without scatter. But it's never mentioned if there is a defense roll for the defender.

There is only one table on page 189 where there is a dice pool modifier for the defender "targeted by area-effect attack" -2. The text speaks about defending against grenadeds and area spells. But - which value of the attackers dice do you need to beat? All his  successes or only his successes in advance of the treshold of 3? This would be fairly easy to defend for an area damage - even with the -2 modifier.

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #1411 on: <08-20-15/1319:26> »
No, but Run and Gun (pg125) has Run for your Life to avoid them.

demion

• Newb
« Reply #1412 on: <08-20-15/1338:56> »

But what about the text on page 190: "Targeted by an area-effect attack: Dodging explosions is not as easy as it seems in the movies. Apply a -2 modifier when trying to defend against weapons like spells, grenades, rockets, or missiles with a blast or area effect."

Raven2049

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT "Special" Agent
« Reply #1413 on: <08-20-15/2056:11> »

But what about the text on page 190: "Targeted by an area-effect attack: Dodging explosions is not as easy as it seems in the movies. Apply a -2 modifier when trying to defend against weapons like spells, grenades, rockets, or missiles with a blast or area effect."

never noticed that before, will have to look into that.

Also, from a topic that was started earlier:

As far as Duration Permanent spells go, do the effects Ramp up? or are they full potency right after casting...

For example if you cast a F4 Heal spell on a person, you have to sustain it for 4 combat turns before it becomes permanent. Does that mean during those 4 turns the damage is slowly healing? or is it instantly healed and just requires the concentration before its made "permanent"

Same situation for the Spell Mana Static, cast at Force 4, does the background count start at 1 and slowly increase over the 4 turns? or is it at [hits] from the get-go and just requires the concentration on the spell before its made "permanent"
« Last Edit: <08-20-15/2105:12> by Raven2049 »

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1414 on: <08-20-15/2102:44> »
That's a holdover error.  AoEs work like grenades--3 hits puts it where you want it.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

demion

• Newb
« Reply #1415 on: <08-21-15/0631:42> »
That's a holdover error.  AoEs work like grenades--3 hits puts it where you want it.

Hm, are you referencing to my question? I know that AoE spells work the same like grenades - thats why my question is for all area damage attacks.
Or do you mean the table entry from page 189 and the cited text from page 190 is an holdover error?

demion

• Newb
« Reply #1416 on: <08-22-15/0732:03> »
I have another question: multiple Attacks on multiple targets are possible. But can you do multiple attacks on one target? It's not specified, as its not even specified how many bullets you need to attack for example 3 persons (logic would say at least a short burst with 3 bullets - but to be true hitting 3 targets calls for more than just a short burst...).

demion

• Newb
« Reply #1417 on: <08-22-15/0736:35> »
And than I have another question. On page 300 it's written: "Summoning a spirit is a Complex Action. You can only summon one spirit at a time."

Does this mean you can have only ony spirit serving you (unless you bind it) and if you summon another spirit the first vanishes? Or is it just a clarification, that you cannot summon let's say 2 spirits with one complex action?

ZeroIP

• Newb
« Reply #1418 on: <08-28-15/2258:34> »
I posted this as a concern in the Technomancer feedback for a new book! topic but I also want to know if any freelancer such as Aaron can help with this.

What exactly are the rules for Resonance Realm Searches in Data Trails? We have the extended test for finding the backdoor to the Resonance Realms but the rest of the rules are nebulous at best. I play on Runnerhub and they said that they could allow their usage but only if they were given explicit written rules or errata to follow. As of right now it seems to be a great power of technomancers but the main issue is the "Event Horizon" and the tasks need to obtain the Goals. Most GM's are unable to create this event on the fly and normally avoid using it altogether because they do not have definitive rules. Please advise us on some mechanics to crossing the "Event Horizon" and more examples of tasks for resonance realm actions.

Personally it feels that Crossing the Event Horizon requires a mixture of a judge intentions test and a composure test with a certain threshold (please define on the number or how to define the threshold). The rules on the Judge Intentions check are vague but I would say that it would have a chart that has a baseline number then modifiers depending on what they are trying to do. Submersion level could give a -1 per grade on the test along with possible good intentions such as finding a file to save a friend's life. Heartless monster intentions should increase the threshold such as finding erased dirt to blackmail someone or erasing data of a horrendous crime possibly adding +1 or two to the threshold. Afterwards you tally those modifiers and  then roll that dice pool vs with a the PC's composure dice pool as the event horizon bombards you with simsense-like data of your worst fears, regrets, and desires. If you are unworthy you are shunted from the resonance realms and the backdoor you used closes. This means must redo the searching for the backdoor test all over again and go through the above. If you pass though, welcome to the resonance realms and on to the next part.

The second part is goals and how they should have definitive guidelines for completing the goal. For example the book on Data Trails says "For example, a
search to erase data (see p. 163) could require the technomancer to track down all instances of that data, represented as fruit, hidden away in an expansive digital forest." I would rule that this is similar to a host simulation in which you have to use matrix search to find the fruit. I would rule that the threshold for finding the fruit is similar to the rating of the file (which you stated as a general rule) but also has penalties such as finding fruit equal to its rating and some require a matrix perception as if running silent. However since I am not a GM and this is not an official ruling technomancers cannot use the resonance realms because this ruling is not definitive. Please help and advise on what to do. Thank you.

IntrepidVector

• Newb
« Reply #1419 on: <08-28-15/2338:36> »
If I fill a gas grenade with NovaCoke is that a recipe for a fun party or is everyone about to pass out and die from overdose? I'm trying to figure out. I think the rules suggest if you stick around in the gas cloud you would end up taking four separate hits of NovaCoke, one each turn?

demion

• Newb
« Reply #1420 on: <08-29-15/1053:40> »
As far as Duration Permanent spells go, do the effects Ramp up? or are they full potency right after casting...

I think the spells have full potency right after casting because there are no rules for "ramping up" effects. Like, your wounds close just after casting heal, but if the mage is knocked out after 1 turn (and before the spell gets "permanent") the closed wounds just return to their previous state.

And I still would really like to know if you can do multiple attacks against the same target or if it have to be different targepts per multiple attack dice pool split (so for dice pool/2 split -> 2 attacks on two different targetes or possible 2 attacks on one target)...

living

• Omae
« Reply #1421 on: <09-03-15/1749:50> »
And than I have another question. On page 300 it's written: "Summoning a spirit is a Complex Action. You can only summon one spirit at a time."

Does this mean you can have only ony spirit serving you (unless you bind it) and if you summon another spirit the first vanishes? Or is it just a clarification, that you cannot summon let's say 2 spirits with one complex action?

You can only have one unbound spirit at time. if you summon another one, the first vanishs.

antaskidayo

• Omae
« Reply #1422 on: <09-13-15/0614:02> »
Quote from: demion on (13:38:56/08-20-15)
Quote from: Darzil on (13:19:26/08-20-15)

never noticed that before, will have to look into that.

yeah i'd like to know this one as well                     

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1423 on: <09-14-15/1346:04> »
I've seen that question come up a lot.  I think it is an editing hold over and you don't get a dodge for grenades and area effects.

Shamie

• Omae
« Reply #1424 on: <10-05-15/1327:08> »
Do a mage have to sustain a combat spell for F turns for the damage to take hold? Per the rules in page 283?

Quote from: CoreRulebok
Permanent (P) spells don’t fade or dissipate; their effect becomes a lasting, non-magical characteristic after you sustain the spell for (Force) Combat Turns.

Thanks