• Chummer
« Reply #1395 on: <08-09-15/0416:03> »
enough boxes to stagger to your feet

One box is enough, right?

demion

• Newb
« Reply #1396 on: <08-09-15/0629:35> »
One box is enough, right?

Well, we don't know because there are no rules for going unconscious and getting up again in the book. Kincaids interpration is just a possibility to rule it - therefore houseruling.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1397 on: <08-09-15/0959:52> »
The text on page 100 that you quoted in the other thread is pretty clear as well.  I think this is one of those instances when having a book written by folks intimately familiar with the game causes some hiccups.  You've always fallen unconscious when you're Stun Monitor is full, so the guy writing part XYZ (Survival, for example) writes as such so you end up with more references to the rule than explicit statements of the rule.  It's 100% RAI, however.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

demion

• Newb
« Reply #1398 on: <08-09-15/1725:27> »
Yeah that could be true. But how do you know it is RAI? Is this your opinion or from one of the authors?

For example - there is no rule how long you stay unconscious. But if you just interpret the writings in the healing section, it would mean, you are unconscious for one hour. Thats much too long for just stun damage in my opinion.
« Last Edit: <08-10-15/1126:59> by demion »

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1399 on: <08-10-15/0507:21> »
Yeah that could be true. But how do you know it is RAI? Is this your opinion or from one of the authors?
I'm not seeing where you are confused:
"Every character has a Condition Monitor that tells the player how much Physical and Stun damage they can  take  before falling  unconscious."

That passage is fairly clearly stating that the calculated number of boxes are how much Physical or Stun damage a character can take before being rendered unconscious. In plain terms, if you have taken enough damage to fill up either Condition Monitor, you are unconscious.  That's what that sentence means, that section of the book isn't fluff, or allegory, it is character creation. And all of the other passages that people have mentioned simply support that.

For example - there is no rule how long you stay unconscious. But if you just interpret the writings in the healing section, it would mean, you are unconscious for one hour. Thats a little ridicolous...

I'm not sure what you find ridiculous, being rendered unconscious for an hour (or more, since you can fail to heal some stun damage on that first try) seems fairly reasonable.

If you think that is too short, I point out that like I said, there isn't a guarantee you automatically wake up in an hour. And I also feel it is important to note that if the Physical damage track is full, you don't wake up until you have at least one open damage box there as well. That means all overflow, plus one healed.

If that is too long for you, there are a few people that have suggested some homebrew tweaks to make waking up not so standard. Including dividing the hour by how many hits you got and healing one box every X minutes (so it's a gradual heal over time instead of 1 hour passesand suddenly 4 boxes are healed!).

Also, there are several things that can wake someone up early, such as applying First Aid, stim patches, or the Awaken spell (SG). These things also let you wake up early (albeit only temporarily), but with a full Stun damage track we're talking seriously concussed runners. I don't expectthem to always be walking away on their own right away.

prionic6

• Chummer
« Reply #1400 on: <08-10-15/1132:34> »
AFAIK, unconsciousness in fiction is generally not represented in a realistic way. Being unconscious for an hour after a combat wound and then "just" waking up is not a thing that happens in the real world. According to https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/3451/are-one-hit-knockouts-possible-and-do-they-cause-permanent-brain-damage, if you're hit hard enough to be out for more than "a few seconds, minutes at most", that "may indicate severe brain damage, which could lead to loss of function, life-long debilitation, coma, and death. Essentially, a blow hard enough to knock a person unconscious is classified as a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)". That wouldn't even be addressable with dividing the hour by successes.

On the other hand, I think the hour-long unconciousness is aligned pretty well with what we have come to expect for fiction, so I'm fine with it.

demion

• Newb
« Reply #1401 on: <08-10-15/1201:52> »
I'm not seeing where you are confused:
"Every character has a Condition Monitor that tells the player how much Physical and Stun damage they can  take  before falling  unconscious."

I am confused because puting this important rule in the "finishing character creation" section and never mentioning it in the combat or damage explanation rules where it should be adressed is very, very strange. So either it was forgotten to explain in the combat rulings and should go into the errata or it was forgotten to take out of the other text passages and should also go into the errata file.

If that is too long for you, there are a few people that have suggested some homebrew tweaks to make waking up not so standard. Including dividing the hour by how many hits you got and healing one box every X minutes (so it's a gradual heal over time instead of 1 hour passesand suddenly 4 boxes are healed!).

Yeah, that sounds a lot more reasonably for me, but in the end its just a houserule.

@prionic6: I know that healing in fiction is always far better then it is in the real world. But beeing unconscious for one hour is far worse than in the real world if you didn't get seriously damaged (=physical). But in the end I can live with it, if it was really intended this way.

Also, there are several things that can wake someone up early, such as applying First Aid, stim patches, or the Awaken spell (SG). These things also let you wake up early (albeit only temporarily), but with a full Stun damage track we're talking seriously concussed runners. I don't expectthem to always be walking away on their own right away.

Well now you got me with the awaken spell;) After all SG was released after the core rules and the spell addresses unconsciousness from the effects of stun - which seems to mean "full stun damage condition monitor" aside of stun on the basis of medication or chemicals -> SG page 109 "temporarily alleviating the effects of Stun, including modifiers from damage. This spells works on a subject that is unconscious due to an external cause such as injury, medication, or chemicals. The caster must achieve a threshold equal to the Stun modifiers (or 1 for targets simply asleep) the subject currently experiences."
« Last Edit: <08-10-15/1208:22> by demion »

Limrasson

• Newb
« Reply #1402 on: <08-10-15/1233:12> »
Hi!

Currently me and some of my friends are preparing to start our own characters and RP in the shadows!
I'm the one doing some research on the newer information and rules about the game, since my english skills prove to be the best in my group.
What I'm trying to find right now is:

Q.: What are the height and weight ranges for different metatypes?
       Obviously this is a tricky question, because weight and height is determined my many factors. There could be and elf who si shorter than a dwarf and a dwarf that's not actually that stocky, but rather lean. Just as real humans tend to greatly differ in weight, height and body type as well. However my question aims to find out, that what are the height and weight treshholds for certain body types for a givan metahuman? As in, when is an elf considered a "tall elf"?
When is considered a dwarf as a "muscular dwarf" ? When is considered a troll a giant even among trolls? What's a fat elf? When do other orks call another ork "Skinny" ?

Things like that would be nice to know to give a guideline.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1403 on: <08-10-15/1236:08> »
Average height and weight for metatypes are on pg 380 of the core book. 

DMiller

• Newb
« Reply #1404 on: <08-12-15/0354:01> »
I have one... Can a Gauss Rifle use other ammo? Is there APDS, Explosive, etc. ammo for a Gauss Rifle?

-D

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1405 on: <08-12-15/0358:15> »
I have one... Can a Gauss Rifle use other ammo? Is there APDS, Explosive, etc. ammo for a Gauss Rifle?

-D

The only Gauss Riffle ammo listed is in the Run and Gun errata.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Deadfly

• Newb
« Reply #1406 on: <08-14-15/0331:31> »
Hello,

one questions about the cyber suits in Lockdown:

Is it possible to use customization on the limbs when buying the suits, since it is noted that you are not allowed to change anything on the suits? (so, adapt them to the maximum str/agi)

- Dead

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1407 on: <08-14-15/0432:31> »
one questions about the cyber suits in Lockdown:

Is it possible to use customization on the limbs when buying the suits
The only way new elements can be added to cybersuites is by adding new features to elements that have the capacity to accept them
RAWest of RAW, you might get someone argue that this doesn't cover customisation. They should be slapped upside the head with a rulebook.

pi4t

• Newb
« Reply #1408 on: <08-14-15/0709:32> »
Am I reading the control device action correctly? It seems to have problems deciding whether it's legal or illegal. If the action you're performing happens to need a dice roll, it's legal (assuming you have enough marks on the device, of course). However, making the device do a trivial action which doesn't need a dice roll requires a sleaze roll (meaning it's illegal, requires a deck, adds to your overwatch score, etc) even if you're the owner of the device. Is this really intended, or have I misunderstood a rule?

Bulshock

• Chummer
« Reply #1409 on: <08-15-15/1410:48> »
Technically it would also include things like remotely opening a door.  Meaning only hackers and others with a Sleaze Score, can remotely open the door to their apartment/house/car...  Or remotely start them.  I tend to not worry about things like that when you're the owner, though it's technically a House Rule because it's not RAW.