NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #1380 on: <07-13-15/1721:57> »
Nope. I tried it today and my characters stats went ballistic. Strength and Body went up, Willpower shot right up.  It seems that Herolab modifies your stats so you remain as far from the new maximums as you were from the old.

Say you had Strength 5, after applying the Ghoul template you'd have Strength 9, as that is 1 below the new maximum of 10.
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Tiaexz

• Newb
« Reply #1381 on: <07-28-15/0839:49> »
Chummer5a has recently updated so Knowledge is now Log+Int*3 instead of Log+Int*2 and this is starting to some a few arguments as people have different amounts of knowledge and saying "Well Chummer says.." but I cannot find where Chummer got this information from and the rulebook (and earlier posts of this thread) say it is Log+Int*2.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1382 on: <07-28-15/1101:07> »
Page 89.

Characters receive free Knowledge and Language skills points equal to (Intuition rating + Logic rating) x 2.

In 4e, it was x3 and since Chummer goes back to that, I suspect it's a stray value that carried over.
« Last Edit: <07-28-15/1104:56> by Kincaid »
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Tiaexz

• Newb
« Reply #1383 on: <07-28-15/1107:37> »
Page 89.

Characters receive free Knowledge and Language skills points equal to (Intuition rating + Logic rating) x 2.

In 4e, it was x3 and since Chummer goes back to that, I suspect it's a stray value that carried over.

It wasn't in the old Chummer5, so I thought a book or errata came about and changed the value again, but thank you for confirming, Kincaid.

Tiaexz

• Newb
« Reply #1384 on: <07-28-15/2241:29> »
This came up in a game, so I want to double check.

Rigger has an Eyedrone in the room with Person X, and he wants to shoot through the wall to kill them with Doberman.
Does Doberman controlled via Rigger who is also operating Eyedrone shoot Person X with Blind Fire modifier in place or not?

I said "yes" on the argument that even though he knows Person X is there, he cannot accurately aim via the eyedrone, so it would constitute as Blind Fire (and shooting through barrier penalties).

Also said this is the case because if he didn't have eyedrone there, he wouldn't know Person X was there, so couldn't make the shot at all.
« Last Edit: <07-29-15/1212:26> by Tiaexz »

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1385 on: <07-29-15/0916:06> »
I'd use the rules for Shooting Through Barriers (p. 197).  In this situation, the shooter would get the -6 Blind Fire penalty but the defender would be unaware of the attack and not get a Defense Test.  That's a pretty good trade-off for the attacker.

To get the -6 modifier at my table, you have to have some idea where the target is.  You can't just send a single bullet through a wall and expect to hit someone specific in the conference room on the other side.  (My 20+ dice Pistol Adept would love this.)  It's akin to "attacking a square" in other games in my mind.  The eye drone would certainly allow someone to do this.
« Last Edit: <07-29-15/0921:40> by Kincaid »

LordGrizzle

• Chummer
« Reply #1386 on: <07-29-15/1028:41> »
This came up in a game, so I want to double check.

Rigger has an Eyedrone in the room with Person X, and he wants to shoot through the wall to kill them with Doberman.
Does Doberman controlled via Rigger who is also operating Eyedrone shoot Person X with Blind Fire modifier in place or not?

I said "no" on the argument that even though he knows Person X is there, he cannot accurately aim via the eyedrone, so it would constitute as Blind Fire (and shooting through barrier penalties).

Also said this is the case because if he didn't have eyedrone there, he wouldn't know Person X was there, so couldn't make the shot at all.

I would say he shouldn't get Blind Fire but "Attacker firing from cover with an imaging device" instead which is only -3 because it is just another kind of indirect aim

Tiaexz

• Newb
« Reply #1387 on: <07-29-15/1214:04> »
I would say he shouldn't get Blind Fire but "Attacker firing from cover with an imaging device" instead which is only -3 because it is just another kind of indirect aim

Just realised I typo'd in my question, as I said "yes" he had to do Blind Fire.

I didn't realise there was an imaging device one. I will have to double check, as it might be acceptable to use that.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1388 on: <07-29-15/1558:22> »
started a topic on blind fire rather than bloating this thread:

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=21565.0

George

• Newb
« Reply #1389 on: <08-07-15/1856:34> »
Question about Adept Power Attribute Boost:

P.309 SR5:
"...Each hit on this test boosts your attribute rating by 1, up to your augmented Attribute maximum. This only affects your dice pools; your Physical limit and Initiative ratings don’t change with Attribute Boost...."

Does this mean that boost Strength does not increase your Melee DVs, Throwing Distance and Recoil Compensation, since these are not pools but value based?

Thanks.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1390 on: <08-07-15/1916:10> »
Question about Adept Power Attribute Boost:

P.309 SR5:
"...Each hit on this test boosts your attribute rating by 1, up to your augmented Attribute maximum. This only affects your dice pools; your Physical limit and Initiative ratings don’t change with Attribute Boost...."

Does this mean that boost Strength does not increase your Melee DVs, Throwing Distance and Recoil Compensation, since these are not pools but value based?

Thanks.

Yes. If there is a dice pool involved then Boost works, such as in a jumping or climbing test.

However, for a derived value such as recoil compensation, it has no value.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

demion

• Newb
« Reply #1391 on: <08-08-15/1054:47> »
I know this question gets "answered" in another thread, but I think the answer is fairly poor justified. In the combat core rules the statement to what happens if your stun or physical condition monitor says nothing about falling unconscious. Its only mentioned via reference in the "finishing your character" chapter and in the stunbolt-spell (because its named the "sleep spell"). And in the quick rules which have no real meaningfullnes - especially because in the german quick rules its stated otherwise again.

There are really a lot references in the core rules book to rules and text-passages, that are not part in the final 5th edition ruling. So it seems, that text either got copied from 4th edition and not fully adapted (always this copy-paste errors;) or that changes in the course of designing the 5th edition rules were not corrected everywhere because of the many, many cross-references which you can easily forget to correct.

I believe that - if a character really should have fallen unconscious from a full condition monitor - it would have been corrected in the errata and the 2nd printing - which is not the case. I think it was a last minute design choice to leave off the unconscious from the 5th edition.

Is there any official statement to this cause?

Edit 9.8.15: I also posted the question with the relevant text passages in the SR5 Errata Forum for clarification. I hope there is an official answer...  http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=11363.msg390737#msg390737
« Last Edit: <08-09-15/0712:07> by demion »

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1392 on: <08-08-15/1059:30> »
That's incorrect.  The intent is most clear in the description of the Survival skill ("If your Stun Condition Monitor overflows and you fall unconscious..."), which is admittedly a fairly obscure spot.

demion

• Newb
« Reply #1393 on: <08-08-15/1325:04> »
Yeah, that's the problem - there are only such obscure mentions as references (see Character finalization), but there is no rule as to how long you stay unconscious or if this also happens if only the physical is full and if you wake up if only one hp recovered and so on. There is no rule for it, just obscure references.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1394 on: <08-08-15/1611:37> »
Well, you're unconscious until you heal enough boxes to stagger to your feet, following the normal healing Stun Damage rules (that is, your Monitor is no longer full).