NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

8-bit

« Reply #1335 on: <11-21-14/1118:56> »
I would disagree with this assessment. As the owner of a file (in this case, let's say a Clearsight Autosoft, since it isn't specific to any one make or model) you can make a copy of it. The only rules on copies of programs are specifically listed as applying to running multiple copies of the same program on the same device.

SR5 page 243:
Programs (technically cyberprograms if they’re for the Matrix) are files you can run on your deck. While a program is running, it makes your deck better or gives you more utility. You can’t run more than one program of the same type on your deck at once (and no, changing the name of one copy of a program to run two copies doesn’t work, chummer). You get the benefit of a program while it is running on your deck; as soon as you end it or swap it out for another program, it stops providing those benefits.

There is no mention of Copy Protection as there was in SR4A / Unwired. As such, I would argue that a single copy of a program can be copied across multiple devices, with the caveat that a Model or Weapon specific program can only be used with the Model or Weapon for which it applies.

Oh, sure. I agree with copying programs. I've just seen it argued for no copying in most cases, so you shouldn't plan to be able to copy programs.

Lilinka

• Newb
« Reply #1336 on: <02-10-15/1753:19> »
I'm fairly confused and wanted clarification on what the following (from Street Grimoire, page 41) even means:

"Assigning tasks outside the general area of their tradition will not receive a response from the spirit (for example, a Buddhist mage telling an air spirit to heal him will get no response, as air is a Combat spirit in that tradition, while the Health spirit is earth)."

It seems to contradict core (all spirits can use powers as tasks) and is a massive change to how spirit types break down, but there's no errata covering it, and it's only covered in a single sentence.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1337 on: <02-11-15/0042:48> »
I'm fairly confused and wanted clarification on what the following (from Street Grimoire, page 41) even means:

"Assigning tasks outside the general area of their tradition will not receive a response from the spirit (for example, a Buddhist mage telling an air spirit to heal him will get no response, as air is a Combat spirit in that tradition, while the Health spirit is earth)."

It seems to contradict core (all spirits can use powers as tasks) and is a massive change to how spirit types break down, but there's no errata covering it, and it's only covered in a single sentence.

It's mostly just a fluffy bit.  That's why you don't see any rules for it.  This is justification for a GM saying that a player cannot use a spirit outside their selected field of expertise.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #1338 on: <02-23-15/1513:39> »
Has this thread's original purpose ever come to light? It claimed to be gathering questions for an official FAQ, but the main site still lacks one. I have several questions about the rules, and I don't want to be That Guy who asks questions that were answered a year ago.

This thread is eighteen months old, with 90 pages. I don't have enough free time to spend going over the whole thing, taking notes, hoping my questions have already been covered. (Not to mention the inevitable times where a question links to another discussion in the forums.)

If someone has put a FAQ together, could we get a link to it in this forum's original post?
"You can stop talking now.  Really.  Stop.  I have a Uzi."

ᴖᴥᴖ

Download my Matrix Card set:
https://sites.google.com/site/resonancerealms/

8-bit

« Reply #1339 on: <02-23-15/1516:54> »
There is no current FAQ, at least, not that I am aware of.

However, you could always ask a question anyway, and the community will be glad to answer. Aaron, the freelancer who started this, has not been active for a while. Another option you can use if the print button on the top right corner of the forum. This will give you a text only page of all the posts. You can then use Cntrl + F to search for words relevant to your question. If you don't find an answer, feel free to ask.

Decade Rider

• Chummer
« Reply #1340 on: <03-22-15/0733:05> »
Is there a official pdf or something for rule clarification/errata? im looking for cyberlimbs clarification. specifically the customized ones reguarding the limit they can be optimized.. is it still like SR4 in the way you can only customized up to your flesh stat or did that change?

prionic6

• Chummer
« Reply #1341 on: <03-22-15/0815:09> »
The only official errata yet (for the core rulebook) are here: http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/2014/02/shadowrun-fifth-edition-errata-now-available/ - nothing on cyberlimbs though.

The section in the core rulebook states pretty clearly (after reading it maybe five or six times ;-P) that you can only use customized cyberlimbs that do not go over your racial maximum (6 for human). You can then add cyberlimb enhancements up to rating three.
« Last Edit: <03-22-15/0817:49> by prionic6 »

Decade Rider

• Chummer
« Reply #1342 on: <03-22-15/0817:02> »
I think I was just confused cause im so used to SR4 putting you couldnt customized past your "actual" stat. But I guess they changed that?

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1343 on: <03-31-15/0945:18> »
You can customise a cyberlimb up to your racial maximum (6 for human). You can also add cyberlimb enhancements on top of that.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Sternenwind

• Chummer
  • ~maunz~
« Reply #1344 on: <04-06-15/1111:23> »
Can you use Edge for a SIN check, Maglog passkey, your drone and your agends?
« Last Edit: <04-06-15/1116:15> by Sternenwind »

8-bit

« Reply #1345 on: <04-06-15/1334:42> »
SIN - Yes
Maglock Passkey - Yes
Drone - Yes, if jumped in; no, if not
Agent - No

The reason you can't use Edge for the last two is that they are separate entities; you aren't rolling for them. The SIN check is something you can get lucky on, as is the Maglock Passkey. For the drone and agent though, your luck has nothing to do with how well or poorly their programming functions.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1346 on: <04-06-15/1653:13> »
From Run&Gun Pg 126 (Lucky Duck) you can spend two edge for a teammate to avoid an attack. I suppose you can consider a drone or an agent a teammate for this purpose.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #1347 on: <04-06-15/1703:44> »
To what 8-bit and Malevolence said, I would add that if your character is doing it in person, you may use Edge. The RG-rule "Lucky Duck" seems to be the only exception so far, but stands in the tradition of former SR-editions. What is now called Edge used to be a pool of Karma only usable for "rolls of fortunate chance" (i.e. "luck") Basically you can use your Edge to keep your friends alive.

This is why I (as a GM) would not allow my players to use Edge to keep equipment intact. Their is no karmic connection to equipment, neither should there be. I absolutely would extend this rule to dependents, relative, friends, contacts etc. of the character, if a connection was somehow enacted in the past. If you know the TV show "My Name is Earl", that's how I understand the basic concept of Karma in SR. It also explains, why "running for the people" will result in more karma for a run (although less money).

But this is purely my opinion.
Liber et infractus

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #1348 on: <04-07-15/1455:06> »
What is the Aspected Background Count in a Magic Lodge?
St.Grimoire gives generic level figures which would seem to be 1-3.
Meanwhile I've also heard its the Level of the Lodge.
Thanks for any answer you can give.

Skill Monkey

• Newb
  • Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kick Ass.
« Reply #1349 on: <04-07-15/1754:33> »
What should the Force be for a Great Form Spirit?  I might have missed it in Street Grimoire or maybe it's discussed elsewhere in this forum but I'm not seeing it anywhere.
I'm thinking something around Force 15 seems reasonable, but the fluff makes it sound like it's more Force 20+ ("9.1 Richter scale" quote from page 187 and such).