NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #1260 on: <09-08-14/0634:19> »
I'm still confused, because I seem unable to find a lot of rules quoted here.

On p. 247 it says that a host has a rating of 1-12 and matrix attributes derived from that. All ICs running on the host have exactly these attributes. But if a host needs to role against a decker's martix action, it needs to have not only matrix attributes, but mental attributes as well. Of course it also has its host rating.

Also, hosts do have owners as stated on several occasions (p. 236-237 also p. 218; 219; 221 or the IC "Track" p. 249); hell, even grids have owners (p. 215 and p. 236-237). In fact it seems to run like this: You buy a device or anything running in the matrix, you will receive the rights as an owner, but owning a device (legally) and being the owner (matrix rights) isn't necessarily the same (p. 236).

Transferring matrix owner rights takes about one minute and is necessary to avoid that the item behaves like someone else's property all the time (p. 247).

Some matrix actions call for rolls vs device rating. In this case I guess device rating is substituted by host rating, making data bombs on files in high rated hosts very mean. But if you're trying to spoof command (p. 242), you have to go against Logic + Firewall, not device rating + firewall, since you're working against the capability of the owner to simulate his work, so that the host/device thinks you are in fact him.

So I guess I'll need to create an owner for eacht device after all...
Liber et infractus

8-bit

« Reply #1261 on: <09-08-14/1319:53> »
So I guess I'll need to create an owner for eacht device after all...

According to page 360 of SR5, spiders are considered to be owners of the system (in other words, the host). Sure, not all hosts have spiders, but that's a starting point for most situations at least.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1262 on: <09-08-14/1441:34> »
You don't need the full statline for an owner at that point, though; the attributes for defense alone would be sufficient.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #1263 on: <09-13-14/1036:26> »
That's right, thanks. If in doubt, I might just use the archetype decker. Even though the values don't add up.
Liber et infractus

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #1264 on: <09-18-14/1313:53> »
I have a really hard time understanding spell foci, and was hoping for some clarification.

So when you purchase one, it needs both a school and a specific task, for example healing sustaining force 4.
The cost and availability throw me off though, because of the formula chart, listed below the foci chart.

Or are you able to just buy a straight spell focus item for a school of magic and it can do all in that school?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1265 on: <09-18-14/1328:13> »
"Spell foci" is a category of 4 foci types, all of which require [Force x 2] Karma to bind, have an Availability of [Force x 3]R, and cost [Force x 4,000]¥:
  • Counterspelling [spell category]
  • Ritual Spellcasting [spell category]
  • Spellcasting [spell category]
  • Sustaining [spell category]

So yes, you'll have a Sustaining Focus (Force 4, Health spells) in your example.

The Formulae chart isn't about foci: it's about formulae, which are manuals you use to learn new spells, rituals or alchemical preparations.

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #1266 on: <09-18-14/1334:55> »
"Spell foci" is a category of 4 foci types, all of which require [Force x 2] Karma to bind, have an Availability of [Force x 3]R, and cost [Force x 4,000]¥:
  • Counterspelling [spell category]
  • Ritual Spellcasting [spell category]
  • Spellcasting [spell category]
  • Sustaining [spell category]

So yes, you'll have a Sustaining Focus (Force 4, Health spells) in your example.

The Formulae chart isn't about foci: it's about formulae, which are manuals you use to learn new spells, rituals or alchemical preparations.
Ok perfect thanks! The formula section was throwing me off because the top part listed it's cost as percentage of foci , etc.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1267 on: <09-18-14/1420:20> »
Ah, that one. Focus formulae are used to craft foci, rather than buy them.

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #1268 on: <09-18-14/1445:31> »
That makes sense now, thanks again. I felt like there was something I was missing. Wanted to make sure I had it right.

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #1269 on: <09-19-14/1901:25> »
Under the street grimoire , if you initiate as an adept , do you have the option to choose any "way" to follow, or are you only allowed to initiate in the undecided way, unless you have bought one of the"way" qualities.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1270 on: <09-19-14/2129:49> »
Under the street grimoire , if you initiate as an adept , do you have the option to choose any "way" to follow, or are you only allowed to initiate in the undecided way, unless you have bought one of the"way" qualities.

You initiate as "Undecided" until you pick one of the Way qualities.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #1271 on: <09-25-14/0120:51> »
Could anyone point me in the right direction for rules on selling bioware/cyber and replacing with a better grade? (in 5e)

For instance if i have used cerebral booster 2, at creation, and want to upgrade to normal cerebral booster 3 during gameplay. (Being an adept)

8-bit

« Reply #1272 on: <09-25-14/0151:17> »
Do you mean Essence wise or cost wise? I can give you a more detailed explanation, but this is from the SR5 Missions FAQ; about as official as it gets.

"Presuming that the item in question has not been damaged, you may sell back installed non-cultured bioware and cyberware for a flat 30 percent of its retail value (book price; taking into account alpha or beta mark-up, if any) when upgrading cyberware. Remember, if you upgrade from 3 points of “normalware” to the equivalent in alpha grade, the alpha only takes 2.4 Essence points off, but you do not get the excess back—you simply have a 0.6 point “hole” that can be filled with something else at no further Essence cost until the “hole” is exceeded."

The whole flat 30% thing is Missions only, you might have to talk to your GM on what his specific rules are.

Also, Used Cerebral Boosters, while not explicitly prohibited, should be impossible to get if you use reason. Cultured is specifically grown for your body and DNA; therefore incompatible with anyone else. Used means it was in someone else. So, not exactly useable, thus Cultured Bioware is only available in Standard and above grades.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1273 on: <09-25-14/0948:54> »
Not only can you not buy *used* cultured bioware in Missions, you can't sell it for the 30% trade-in allowance.  Cultured bioware is expensive, expensive stuff.

EDIT: Serves me right for posting from my phone.
« Last Edit: <09-25-14/1307:10> by Kincaid »
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1274 on: <09-25-14/1050:53> »
Not only can you not buy cultured bioware in Missions, you can't sell it for the 30% trade-in allowance.  Cultured bioware is expensive, expensive stuff.
Used Cultured. You can buy normal Cultured if I recall Bull's posts correctly. But yes, you cannot get Cultured Used and cannot sell it, since it's fit only for you.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!