NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

MisterNix

• Newb
« Reply #1245 on: <08-31-14/1350:08> »
Is there a limit associated with an Object Resistance test? Maybe the Device rating?
Nearly no defense test has a limit (as far as I can tell, there is no defense test that has a limit), so no, there is no limit for an Object Resistance test.
The only time limits apply is when you're using a skill. Most defense tests only use stats, and device ratings/object resistance ratings aren't skills - thus no limit.

The only times in defensive tests I can think of that limits start applying is with qualities like Acrobatic Defender which lets you use gymnastics rather than willpower - making it a skill test, and thus applying your physical limit.

So no - there are no limits on Object Resistance, hacking defense, summoning/compiling resistance etc unless some other rule also adds in a skill.

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #1246 on: <08-31-14/2335:39> »
Do trolls have to pay 100% increased cost to foci , or just worn equipment/cyber/lifestyle?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1247 on: <09-01-14/0111:56> »
Do trolls have to pay 100% increased cost to foci , or just worn equipment/cyber/lifestyle?

This is covered in the errata.  Trolls and dwarves do not pay increased cost for any equipment, only for lifestyle costs.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #1248 on: <09-01-14/1112:36> »

This is covered in the errata.  Trolls and dwarves do not pay increased cost for any equipment, only for lifestyle costs.
Thanks Namikaze, i totally misunderstood the Errata then.

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #1249 on: <09-01-14/1438:47> »
Can you stack the adept power combat sense and the spell together? Say I have 7 combat sense and 7 magic, would a force 4 spell with 4 hits add to my defense pool?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1250 on: <09-02-14/0053:56> »
Can you stack the adept power combat sense and the spell together? Say I have 7 combat sense and 7 magic, would a force 4 spell with 4 hits add to my defense pool?

Nothing in RAW explicitly forbids it, but I wouldn't allow it at my table.  Too unbalancing.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #1251 on: <09-07-14/0641:06> »
Question from my last game session, does anyone have clue?

Our Technomancer tried to get into a host of a diner and access the cameras. In my (gamemaster) idea the host was running without on-site human support, i.e. the diner contracted its host's security to a local matrix security service to save money.

Now, at what point do you use the host's attributes to defend and at what point does the spider come into play? I wanted the spider to come into play as late as possible (or not at all), because the hack was not part of the main plot, but "a good idea" of the player to advance the story line.

The TM's player was of the oppinion that the spider had to have programmed the host (set the ports, installed the architecture etc.), so his attributes were relevant for defense (especially Willpower + firewall). Is that the case?

My reason for asking is mainly that it would force me to think about who is in charge of a host and what his Willpower might be for every hack the players try to accomplish. Instead of simply designing the host (or taking one from the shelf), I would now have to design an appropriate spider/decker as well.
Liber et infractus

Yinan

• Newb
« Reply #1252 on: <09-07-14/0857:34> »
A Host aloways defends itself with Host Rating + Matrix Attribute, which is based on the Host Rating (Its HR +0, HR +1, HR +2, HR +3 for the 4 Attributes).
The Spider doesn't change anything with that.

So if the Technomancer wanted to hack into the Host (let's say Rating 4 and with Sleaze/Firewall of 6/7), the Host would defend with 4 + 6 = 10 Dice against any Matrix Perception tests to spot it (if it was running silent, which it should) and 4 + 7 = 11 Dice against Hack on the Fly.
The Spider doesn't change anything here, he doesn't affect the Host at all with his attributes.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1253 on: <09-07-14/1253:08> »
Question from my last game session, does anyone have clue?
No.

Oh, that wasn't the question? :p

In addition to what Yinan said, the Spider only shows up after the TM does something that alerts the host to his illegal presence. If he's throwing arround Attack actions, this will happen early, but if he is using Sleaze and not failing, the host may never know he is/was there.

Once the alarm is tripped, the arrival of the Spider is really up to GM fiat. He could be sitting on the toilet and have to pinch it off before checking in, or he could be primed and ready and simply need to issue a mental command to enter the host, so you can have him enter based on a dice roll, or just have it happen when you think the TM has overstayed his welcome (already got the information you think he should have and don't feel like letting him keep listening in).
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #1254 on: <09-07-14/1800:50> »
Great guys, that was my interpretation of the rules as well. Just need to convince him now...
Liber et infractus

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #1255 on: <09-07-14/1856:33> »
But, errr wait, what about SR5 page 237? It states:

When a defense test calls for a Mental attribute, use the owner’s rating. Even if she isn’t currently defending or even interacting with the device, her previous interactions and settings affect the defense test.

So, whenever I do not use Mental attributes, I use Matrix attributes?
Liber et infractus

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1256 on: <09-07-14/1858:08> »
Great guys, that was my interpretation of the rules as well. Just need to convince him now...

That's what 'print screen' is for :D
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1257 on: <09-08-14/0101:00> »

When a defense test calls for a Mental attribute, use the owner’s rating. Even if she isn’t currently defending or even interacting with the device, her previous interactions and settings affect the defense test.

That quote is referring to a device that is unattended.  It's saying that even an unattended device gets the benefits (or penalties) associated with the last person to use the device.  Some have taken the sentence to mean that a person with high mental attributes should touch everyone's commlink before starting a run, but I think that's a bit too much metagaming.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1258 on: <09-08-14/0235:04> »

The spider is not the owner of the host - he is an employee (or contractor) of the company that owns it. Also, You use the higher of the device's stat or the owners attribute, and for all but the lowest rating hosts, the host attribute is almost certain to be better than the spider's. Hosts are not devices. They are special cases and use the rules in the host section, which does not mention using the owner's attributes. I suppose this is open to interpretation as the hosts section doesn't specifically mention they are omitted from this rule, but for the same reason you brought the question up (not wanting to stat the owner), it is the best interpretation and almost certainly RAI.

That quote is referring to a device that is unattended.  It's saying that even an unattended device gets the benefits (or penalties) associated with the last person to use the device.  Some have taken the sentence to mean that a person with high mental attributes should touch everyone's commlink before starting a run, but I think that's a bit too much metagaming.
It says owner, so I think that trick would fail unless you have the person with the best mental attributes own everything and just lend it out to everyone else for the run.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1259 on: <09-08-14/0329:53> »
It says owner, so I think that trick would fail unless you have the person with the best mental attributes own everything and just lend it out to everyone else for the run.

Yeah, I think that the trick is metagaming and rules-lawyering at best.  It's been the topic of some heated discussions though, but those are best left to other threads.