NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Yinan

• Newb
« Reply #1230 on: <08-18-14/0900:11> »
I saw that several people here said that if the current Noise level is above the Device Rating of a Device, that Device can't access the Matrix anymore.

Does it say so anywhere in the rules? Because I couldn't find something like that.

martinchaen

« Reply #1231 on: <08-18-14/1029:31> »
Yinan,

Technically, the rule states that the device loses it's Wireless Bonus. A developer has confirmed this, so per the rules you can still make calls with your commcode as this is not a "wireless bonus".
Quote from: SR5 p421
If there is a Noise Rating from a situation that is greater than the item’s Device Rating, not including distance, the item temporarily loses its wireless functionality (see Noise, p. 230).

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #1232 on: <08-18-14/1540:34> »
I'm new to the forums, and largely to shadowrun, so forgive me for asking duplicated questions, searched around a bit, but didn't find much i was looking for.

So here are my questions, largely pertaining to character creation.

1) Are you able to use starting karma points to gain a level of magic initiation? Also, can you use leftover karma at creation  to increase an ability under the normal rules for advancement (if i have 20 extra karma points, could i raise edge from 3 to 4).

2)If an adept increases magic to 7 at creation, do they get all 7 power points?

3)If an adept looses 1 point of essence/magic , they are required to sell back the equivilent power points, can you sell back the free active ability granted from option b/c adept.

4)Can the adept ability increase (1pp) version increase an ability above the +4 level, for instance if i had adept wired reflex 3 equivelent, could i also increase reaction further through the ability increase.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1233 on: <08-18-14/1554:40> »
1. Other than as a house rule, no.
2. Yes.
3. If you take cyberware during character creation, you just lose the Magic and the associated power point. The active skill granted is not tied to your magic attribute and so is not affected. You don't "sell" the magic point/PP back, you simply lose it.
4. No, Improved Physical Attribute is restricted to the normal +4 limit in its own description (core p 309): "This power allows you to exceed your natural Attribute maximum, up to your aug- mented maximum." In other words, if you were human (max natural attribute of 6) and had reaction of 3, then took Improved Reflexes of 3 (thus raising Reaction to 6 - the human max), you could take a point of Improved Physical Attribute [Reaction] to raise your Reaction to 7, but you could not raise it higher than that. If you raised your base Reaction to 4, your augmented Reaction would become 8 without any change to your Adept powers, but still could not be raised beyond that 8 since it is at the +4 max.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1234 on: <08-18-14/1622:43> »
1) Initiating no, raising attributes yes (since page 98 mentions the only-one-mental/physical-attribute-hardcapped rule still applies when spending karma).

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #1235 on: <08-18-14/1650:04> »
Thanks!

Also, for initiative level for adepts, one of the metamagics available are to gain a power point.

So if i were to become a level 1 initiative , and gain a power point, but NOT increase the corresponding magic rating yet, would i still get the power point, because i thought it read you cannot have more power points then your magic rating.

Follow up, when i do raise that magic point, does it also provide a power point?

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1236 on: <08-18-14/1722:41> »
Yes, if you take the PP during initiation, you can have 8 PP while still having 7 magic (assuming we are still using your Magic 7 adept in the examples). You are only limited to Magic rating or fewer PP in char gen.
If you then raise your  magic rating to the new cap, you would have 9 PP and 8 magic.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1237 on: <08-18-14/1813:31> »
So if i were to become a level 1 initiative , and gain a power point, but NOT increase the corresponding magic rating yet, would i still get the power point, because i thought it read you cannot have more power points then your magic rating.
I don't think there's a restriction like that, actually - Mystic Adepts can only buy Power Points with Karma up to their Magic rating at chargen, and the maximum rank you can get in adept powers is equal to your Magic, but there's no direct restriction on how many Power Points you can have (otherwise the Power Point metamagic would only be usable by Mystic Adepts).

Yinan

• Newb
« Reply #1238 on: <08-22-14/0759:28> »
I have some questions regarding Agents on Cyberdecks:

When running, an Agent occupies one program slot, has it's own Persona and Icon, shares the Matrix condition-Box of the Deck and can use the programs runnin on that Deck.

1. Can you have several Agents of the same Rating run on ther Cyberdeck?
It states you each Agent occupies one slot, which suggest you can run several. the question is if they have to be of a different rating or if they can be the same.

2. Can you copy Agents?
So can I only buy 1 Rating 6 Agent and copy that one 5 times to get the maximum amount of Agents to run on my Deck (as long as I can run several of them, see question 1).

3. Do they have their own Overwatch Score?
Since they have their Own Persona and their own Icon, I would think so. On the other hand, they run on the same device.

Unfortunately I cant find anything in the rules regarding these questions, so maybe someone here knows more?

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #1239 on: <08-27-14/2043:10> »
For the adept power "improved reflexes" are you able to upgrade it?

If i start out with level 2, can i upgrade it later with 1 more PP to raise it to level 3?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1240 on: <08-27-14/2108:22> »
For the adept power "improved reflexes" are you able to upgrade it?

If i start out with level 2, can i upgrade it later with 1 more PP to raise it to level 3?

Absolutely!
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1241 on: <08-28-14/1020:28> »
You can also get a Force 4 Improved Reflexes L1 Qi Focus, if you want, and use that.

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #1242 on: <08-28-14/1847:23> »
You can also get a Force 4 Improved Reflexes L1 Qi Focus, if you want, and use that.

Interesting, thank you.

With how incompatable cyber/bioware is to upgrade i figured it would have been stricter. Very good to know!

leoric

• Newb
« Reply #1243 on: <08-30-14/0614:30> »
Is there a limit associated with an Object Resistance test? Maybe the Device rating?

Yinan

• Newb
« Reply #1244 on: <08-30-14/0620:26> »
Nearly no defense test has a limit (as far as I can tell, there is no defense test that has a limit), so no, there is no limit for an Object Resistance test.