NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #1170 on: <07-07-14/2139:43> »
Wondering about a couple items from Core & Run&Gun.

Lined Coat   (Pg.437)
Synthleather Duster   (Pg.437)
Synergist Business Line Longcoat  (Pg19)

What I'm wondering is, if the Duster & Synergist lines should provide the same Concealability -2 for hiding things beneath them as the Lined Coat does?

I mean, the basic concept is the same, Trenchcoat,  but only the Lined Coat specifically mentions hiding things underneath it.

Would this be an oversight & lack of fluff in the descriptions, or, are the other 2 just not intended to also be a long trenchcoat type item?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1171 on: <07-08-14/0106:51> »
I think the Lined Coat gets its concealability from more than simply its length, actually.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1172 on: <07-08-14/1604:41> »
I can see that being the case w/ thicker ballistic cloth hiding something by texture/feel.
But in that case all the armor types would get some type of bonus like a concealed holster.

The fluff for Lined Coat description specifically says hiding something under it.
To me that is the picture if every movie I've ever seen where a guy has a shotgun up against his leg w/ a long coat covering it.

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #1173 on: <07-08-14/1657:42> »
I was under the impression the Lined coat let you hide things mostly cuz of it's length, yes. 

I would personally rule most knee length or longer coat should get the same benefit.  Certain styles could be an exception cuz they were longer, tighter, whatever.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1174 on: <07-09-14/0109:17> »
I was under the impression the Lined coat let you hide things mostly cuz of it's length, yes. 

And I'm saying you can't assume that - between the factors in it's armour rating, and the fact that it's clearly multi-layered (the whole "Lined" part), it's pretty reasonable to conclude that there's more than just length at play here.

The Lined Coat was the only longcoat granting this benefit before, as well, so I would think at very least the intent is in fact clear.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #1175 on: <07-09-14/0343:54> »
And I'm saying you can't assume that - between the factors in it's armour rating, and the fact that it's clearly multi-layered (the whole "Lined" part), it's pretty reasonable to conclude that there's more than just length at play here.

The Lined Coat was the only longcoat granting this benefit before, as well, so I would think at very least the intent is in fact clear.
I would have to agree with this
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1176 on: <07-09-14/1208:51> »
Do you need anything beside Smart Link & Smart Gun to get the full benefits of that system ?

ve4grm

• Omae
« Reply #1177 on: <07-09-14/1231:36> »
Do you need anything beside Smart Link & Smart Gun to get the full benefits of that system ?

Either a commlink (to get all benefits) or a wire between the two (to just get the accuracy increase), but that's it.
Thought || Speech || Matrix/com || Astral

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1178 on: <07-09-14/1602:52> »
Either a commlink (to get all benefits) or a wire between the two (to just get the accuracy increase), but that's it.
Okay, thanks, I didn't realize that.
I thought a DNI gave you partial abilities (Magazine/Mode) but that the SGL itself gave you that & all the Accuracy & Dice benefits.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #1179 on: <07-09-14/1637:57> »
I believe you could technically get all the benefits without a commlink, and you could use wireless to connect the SG directly to the SL so no cable would be needed either.

However, if you do that, you leave yourself WIDE open to getting both systems bricked by a hacker super easy mode since you have no master/slave set-up and no firewall anywhere. Really, everyone should have a commlink anyway, so just go with that, it's the easy and sensible way out of the "what do i need" dilemma.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

ve4grm

• Omae
« Reply #1180 on: <07-09-14/1642:25> »
Okay, thanks, I didn't realize that.
I thought a DNI gave you partial abilities (Magazine/Mode) but that the SGL itself gave you that & all the Accuracy & Dice benefits.

There are a few threads around clarifying this. I'm not sure I can do it justice here.

But yes, DNI with wireless (implants, trodes, etc) (or a wired connection) gives you magazine/mode stuff.
Smartlink gives you +accuracy stuff (needs to be used with the same wireless/wired connection, as they need to connect in some way).
And having the smartgun/smartlink have wireless on gives you the bonus dice on your attack roll and free-action clip eject/mode change.

There are arguments about some further details, but this seems pretty safe as a baseline.
Thought || Speech || Matrix/com || Astral

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1181 on: <07-10-14/1159:03> »
I believe you could technically get all the benefits without a commlink, and you could use wireless to connect the SG directly to the SL so no cable would be needed either.

However, if you do that, you leave yourself WIDE open to getting both systems bricked by a hacker super easy mode since you have no master/slave set-up and no firewall anywhere. Really, everyone should have a commlink anyway, so just go with that, it's the easy and sensible way out of the "what do i need" dilemma.

Okay, that makes sense,  I get that Commlink = Good Protection,  I just wanted to know what you HAVE to have.

I didn't think you HAD to have Data Jack or Image Link since SmartLink+SmartGun gives you the "DNI" for that single item, or so I thought.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1182 on: <07-10-14/1202:21> »
Well the Argentum Line also does too, and that is, well, I guess a really big thick Extra-Lined version of the Lined Coat IIRC.
I just found it odd that Synergist didn't get the same since its also an armored long coat.  (or the Leather Duster if its a length issue)

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1183 on: <07-11-14/0156:53> »
I think the layering does a lot to help; masks the shape of what's under the coat.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

martinchaen

« Reply #1184 on: <07-11-14/0659:03> »
I think concealability is a result of the cut of the fabric more than anything, based on the various attires that have the modifier and those that don't.

Armanté Suit/Dress; No modifier
Mortimer of London Berwick Suit/Dress; -2 modifier
Mortimer of London Crimson Sky Suit; -2 modifier
Mortimer of London Summit Suit/Dress; No modifier
Mortimer of London Greatcoat/Ulysses/Argentum; -3 modifier
Vashon Island Ace of Cups/Swords/Wands/Coins; No modifier
Vashon Island Ace of Spades/Clubs/Hearts; Holster (not specified if it's quickdraw, concealable, or concealable quickdraw)
Vashon Island Ace of Diamonds; +2 modifier (probably supposed to be a -2)
Vashon Island Steampunk; No modifier
Vashon Island Synergist Business Line; Concealed Holster (so only -2 for pistol sized items)
Vashon Island Synergist Business Line Longcoat; No modifier
Vashon Island Sleeping Tiger; Holster (not specified if it's quickdraw, concealable, or concealable quickdraw)
Zoé Executive Suite; No modifier
Zoé Heritage; No modifier
Zoé Nightshade/Moonsilver; No modifier
Zoé Second Skin; No modifier
Ares Victory Globetrotter Jacket; Holster (not specified if it's quickdraw, concealable, or concealable quickdraw)
Ares Victory Globetrotter Vest; No modifier
Ares Victory Globetrotter Clothing; No modifier
Ares Victory Wild Hunt; Holster (not specified if it's quickdraw, concealable, or concealable quickdraw)
Ares Victory Industrious; No modifier
Ares Victory Big Game Hunter; Holster (not specified if it's quickdraw, concealable, or concealable quickdraw)
Ares Victory Rapid Transit; No modifier

The interesting part is that there are three different ways of writing concealability modifiers in Run & Gun;
-2 modifier to Concealability
Concealability +2
Concealability (-6)

The first one refers to longcoats and suits, the second is likely a misprint unless the Ace of Diamons is supposed to make it harder to smuggle items, and the last one refers to the difficulty of spotting Form Fitting Body Armor underneath regular clothing.

There's also no rhyme or reason I can find as to which items provide a modifier and are also custom fit; I would have presumed that an item that is custom fit for you (i.e. tailored to fit your frame perfectly) would not have a lot of room to conceal items, but apparently this is not the case.

So, we're left with whatever's in the book, for better or worse. Houseruling it is a pretty simple solution if you ask me.