NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Sternenwind

• Chummer
  • ~maunz~
« Reply #1155 on: <07-01-14/1745:58> »
Are you saying that for great guardian, task and guidance spirit you can chose whatever "base spirit" greate power you want?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1156 on: <07-01-14/1911:30> »
No - that was my mistake.  You have the type of spirit, and you make it a great spirit.  If you're a hermetic summoning a combat (fire) spirit as a great form, then you summon a great form fire spirit.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #1157 on: <07-01-14/2354:43> »
While we're on the topic of street grimoire and great spirits...

On Street Grimoire pg 137, the sidebar about greater spirit powers, it list the powers that various spirits would gain in the "great" form, such as storm for air spirits.
However, for guardian, guidance, and task spirits, it states "as per base type of spirit". However, after reading through the spirits chapter multiple times, I can't seem to find anywhere that it mentions which powers would be appropriate for those, not can i find anywhere where it mentions "base types" for those 3 spirit types.

Now, fluff wise I can understand that this because you could summon a task spirit to make some shoes, or summon one to build a house, however, I would assert that a shoe task and a house task are different sub-types and that all task spirits should have the same great form power based on their base type (Task), which would make their sub-type completely irrelevant. Which would in turn imply that the table on pg 137 is simply an errata candidate where someone forgot to replace the phrase "as per base type of spirit" with whatever power was supposed to be listed there.

Edit: Updated as errata.
This is per one of the developers, Giabralter:

Greater Spirit Powers:
Guardian: Shielding (SR5 p. 326)
Guidance: Psychometry (p. 119)
Task: Compulsion (SR5 p. 395)
Can we get a link or source or something? or was this you speaking to them IRL and we can take this as "official"?
Also, no offense intended by questioning your post, I know you're in contact with some people and all, I'm just looking for double confirmation.
It's a direct quote from a PM convo with Giabralter.
I can vouch for Giabralter ;-)
« Last Edit: <07-02-14/2056:09> by voydangel »
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1158 on: <07-02-14/0008:01> »
Ahhhh, now I understand the confusion.  I apologize again - I thought that Sternenwind was asking what are the "base" types of spirits, and then asking what it means to summon a "great form" of a spirit.  I believe this is an issue caused by taking data from Street Magic and applying it in the new book without verifying integrity.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1159 on: <07-02-14/0024:44> »
Ahhhh, now I understand the confusion.  I apologize again - I thought that Sternenwind was asking what are the "base" types of spirits, and then asking what it means to summon a "great form" of a spirit.  I believe this is an issue caused by taking data from Street Magic and applying it in the new book without verifying integrity.

No, I don't think so. In Street Magic, Guardian and Task Great Forms both got Endowment, and Guidance got Astral Gateway. I have no idea where this 'as base spirit' thing came from. It seems to imply that Guardians, Guidance and Task spirits are modifications of other spirit types, but they aren't.

I assume this happened because they removed turning LOS into LOS(A) and increased Physical Attributes from the possible results of a Great From, and instead gave all Great Forms the ability to get Endowment and Astral Gateway (a choice I'm iffy on, frankly.) As a result, they were at a loss for what powers those spirits get, so....your guess is as good as ours.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1160 on: <07-02-14/0110:03> »
I assume this happened because they removed turning LOS into LOS(A) and increased Physical Attributes from the possible results of a Great From, and instead gave all Great Forms the ability to get Endowment and Astral Gateway (a choice I'm iffy on, frankly.) As a result, they were at a loss for what powers those spirits get, so....your guess is as good as ours.
This at least removes the issue with Great Form Spirits simultaneously engulfing the whole enemy squad, which would have been ridiculous with the upscaling of Engulf and especially Elemental Aura. On the other hand you nowadays can hardly recognize Great Form spirits anymore with no mentioned increase in size.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1161 on: <07-02-14/0116:32> »
This at least removes the issue with Great Form Spirits simultaneously engulfing the whole enemy squad, which would have been ridiculous with the upscaling of Engulf and especially Elemental Aura. On the other hand you nowadays can hardly recognize Great Form spirits anymore with no mentioned increase in size.

Yeah, but that kind of thing is easily avoided by traditional "oh shit they have a mage, stop grouping up" tactics. I am way more hesitant and nervous about Endowment and Astral Gateway being handed out willy nilly. Right off the top of my head, I can already see a Great Form Plant spirit giving the entire party Regeneration. I'll take LOS(A) Engulf over that any day.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1162 on: <07-02-14/0454:31> »
Seems as if got their form of Sleep Regulator taken away with Sustenance only applying to the need for food/water.
Metabolic Control now allows to go longer without sleep, although I don't know in what way sleep is related to metabolism. And if you need to go without sleep, I can hardly imagine that you'd have the time to meditate to be able to go longer without sleep  :-\

voydangel

• Omae
« Reply #1163 on: <07-02-14/2043:06> »
I've seen it mentioned that as per RAW, you can use the free action to attack multiple targets and then using burst fire or FA or what have you, can then attack two different targets that are 180 degrees from each other (one in front of the shooter and one behind the shooter) as long as both targets are at medium range or the like.
This seems to not be what was intended by the rules, but due to lack of explicitly forbidding it, current RAW deems it acceptable.
Is this an oversight and the targets have to be within a certain number of meters of each other (like in previous editions where you had to spend bullets to walk the shot)?
Or is this "Working as intended" ?
My tips for new GM's

Glimaash

• Newb
« Reply #1164 on: <07-03-14/1329:25> »
My question is does the full defense bonus continue to apply if the character makes an attack later in the combat turn.

"Full Defense:
... Dice gained from being on Full Defense
last for the entire Combat Turn."

So in the example on page 191, Wombat had a 26 initiative, does a full defense and a back for -15 so is down to initiative 11.
"As the Initiative Pass winds down (first pass) Wombat switches to
offense. He uses a Complex Action to make a melee attack
but decides to make it a Called Shot with his Free Action."
He is then attacked in the second pass.  Does he still benefit from the full defensive action or did "switch to the offense" negate the full defense bonus.  The full defense rule seems to indicate it last the whole turn regardless what action he takes later in the combat turn. 

Thanks, Glim

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1165 on: <07-03-14/1443:35> »
It lasts the entire turn, so he'd still benefit from it.

voydangel

• Omae
« Reply #1166 on: <07-03-14/1550:34> »
It lasts the entire turn, so he'd still benefit from it.
This is correct, the bonus he got to defense would last until he had to roll a new initiative score.
My tips for new GM's

vizx

• Newb
« Reply #1167 on: <07-04-14/0822:06> »
Does DocWagon "resuscitation" just refer to stabilizing characters who are in overflow damage?

horngeek

• Newb
« Reply #1168 on: <07-06-14/0219:30> »
Out of interest/pedanticness/nitpicking... there's a mention of straitjackets in the Escape Artist table in the core rulebook, but they're mentioned nowhere else (in particular, not available to purchase).  Is that because they're something that was going to be on the equipment list, didn't get added but didn't get taken out of Escape Artist?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1169 on: <07-06-14/1227:42> »
Straitjackets don't serve a lot of purpose in the vast majority of SR games.  It seems like it should be easy enough to implement the restraints with the current systems.