NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #1095 on: <05-13-14/0959:15> »
(Best i can provide, is that Aid is a task.  Tasks need to be asked/commanded of Spirits, so each Spirit you want to Aid you would need it's own Simple Action to command it.  If you have the time to spend asking each spirit to Aid you [3 Simple Actions for 3 spirits] Then I would imagine yes)
GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

Neongelion

• Newb
« Reply #1096 on: <05-19-14/2012:05> »
I don't think I'm reading something right, because the alternate rules for initiative in Run and Gun seem exactly like the ones presented in the core book. Could someone explain to me what the difference actually is?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1097 on: <05-19-14/2022:25> »
Standard rules (IS = Initiative Score):
  • Everyone goes in Initiative order, highest to lowest
  • Once everyone's had a turn (or failed to get one because their IS was below 0), everyone's IS goes down by 10
  • Start a new Initiative Pass if anyone still has a positive IS; otherwise, go to the next Combat Turn

Run&Gun alternate rules:
  • The character with the highest IS goes
  • Reduce their IS by 10
  • Repeat until everyone has an IS of 0 or less

So with the alternate rules, if you have, say, an Initiative Score of 45, there's a chance you'll get 3 turns in a row.

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1098 on: <05-20-14/0331:15> »
Basically SR5 core rule is equivalent to SR3 rule, whereas R&G rule is equivalent to SR2 rule.

This roughly means that with SR5 Core rule, extra initiative pass occur at the end of the turn, whereas with R&G rule they occur at the beginning.
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1099 on: <05-21-14/0721:35> »
Run&Gun:

Is the Bunker Gear Helmet intended to have such a low Capacity (3)? Their Capacity hasn't changed from SR4, but they no longer contain a massive set of vision-enhancements (4) like in SR4.

The SWAT Helmet, on the other hand, lost 5 vision enhancements but had its Capacity raised from 4 to 8, while the Riot Control Helmet remained the same but only lost its Image Link, and Biker lost Image Link and Flare Compensation. This leaves the Bunker Gear Helmet as far too weak in comparison.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1100 on: <05-22-14/1124:03> »
Can't find it asked before so asking just in case:

- Internal Smartguns: Do they cost WeaponCost, or 2xWeaponCost? As in, if I buy a gun of 1k nuyen and get an internal smartgun for it, is that 1k+1k or 1k+2k? Language used suggests +1k, SR2~4 had +1k, tables say +2k.

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1101 on: <05-22-14/1126:08> »
1k + 1k, the cost of the weapon is doubled if you want one with an internal smartgun
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1102 on: <05-22-14/1128:14> »
1k + 1k, the cost of the weapon is doubled if you want one with an internal smartgun
Do you have an official source for that? Because the tables, both in core and Run&Gun, disagree, while the text agrees.

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #1103 on: <05-22-14/1143:42> »
Do you have an official source for that? Because the tables, both in core and Run&Gun, disagree, while the text agrees.

Are you sure on this? The core rulebook text says the cost is doubled, while the text on the table in my copy of the book says it is weapon cost multiplied by two (which, mathematically, is weapon cost doubled). Run and Gun says the same thing on my copy. While it is sloppy, the text of the weapon cost on the tables supports the written text, since the test presents it as a mathematical modifier of weapon price.

Edit: I think I figured it out.

Pretty much, the problem comes down to how they wrote the text and how some people may misinterpret it. Other than saying "see text" for the price, there really is no way to put it down that won't lead to some people having questions as to the cost and thinking it disagrees with the text. Even "Weapon cost is doubled" would suggest the possibility the price of the internal smartgun actually triples the cost of the cost of the weapon by having a price double the weapon's cost. But for general usage and general understandings of language, the wording they did use is accurate enough to prevent confusion in most people, which is really all they could hope for.
« Last Edit: <05-22-14/1153:52> by SlowDeck »
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1104 on: <05-22-14/1153:48> »
((So your interpretation is that the text should be read as "the weapon modification itself costs twice as much as the gun", rather than as "weapon+modification costs twice as much as the gun itself"?))

Furious Trope

• Chummer
« Reply #1105 on: <05-22-14/1156:43> »
((So your interpretation is that the text should be read as "the weapon modification itself costs twice as much as the gun", rather than as "weapon+modification costs twice as much as the gun itself"?))

That seems to be what a close parsing of the phrasing suggests it's supposed to be. A price hike, but then again everything around smartlink seems to have been made more expensive.

No idea if this was intended or not. It's... ambiguous.
You're only ever one bag of grenades away from chunky salsa.

http://powerwalkinginthedarkness.wordpress.com/

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1106 on: <05-22-14/1158:00> »

No. My interpretation of it is that the table should be read as "the cost of weapon + modification is twice as much as weapon itself."

It probably would have been better if they had more accurate, reliable wording to use for this... but then the text wouldn't have been in English.
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1107 on: <05-22-14/1207:49> »
((@FT: It's kinda silly if external smartguns get halved but internal get doubled in cost. Still, I'd like some official clarification to be sure, whichever way it falls.))

((@SlowDeck: That interpretation of the table doesn't seem right when you check the other entries. The table is what the modification itself costs, not what the gun with it added costs.))

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1108 on: <05-22-14/1218:56> »
Like I said in my edit up above: The only way the table entry, using the allocated space, cannot disagree with the text entry is if they replaced it with "See text."

However, if you treat the table as a list of weapon price modifiers, with the weapon cost being the base price and the modified weapon cost being the final price, the smartgun entry makes sense as written; it is modifying the number at the beginning of the equation. As such, the equation would look like this:

Weapon cost x base price modifiers + (weapon mod price x rating) = modified weapon cost
where rating = 1 if weapon mod price does not include a rating factor

Smartguns then go in the base price modifiers. Thus, a weapon costing 1000 nuyen with an internal smartgun and a gas vent 2 would look like this:

1000 x 2 + (200 x 2) = 2400

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1109 on: <05-22-14/1221:41> »
((So at 3 different interpretations that 3 different people see as the right one, I'd say it's pretty clear we need official clarification. :P))