[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1065 on: <04-10-14/2139:57> »
Run&Gun:

Ammo-Whammy is listed separately from Location,Location,Location / Specific Target, do Ammo-Whammy effects require 2+ net hits like LLL, and do they follow the "no net-hits for damage" rule that Specific Target follows?

Double-Tap: "The attack results in an AP increase equal to the base AP multiplied by [...]". If I fire 2 bullets, do I get an increase of x2 or x3? If I fire 6, do I get x3 added or is the maximum x3 total? And what is the base AP, the base AP of the attack, so weapon+apds combined?

There's shots with a DV of 0, yet you are supposed to do damage to be able to apply the effects. I assume that what happens is that the damage is calculated as normal (without bonus-damage from net hits), then a soak happens, if damage remains then effects happen (if enough net-hits were scored), then damage is capped by the DV Limit?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

martinchaen

« Reply #1066 on: <04-11-14/0012:37> »
Yeah, Bulls-Eye Double-Tap is in some serious need of clarification. If it's the Base AP of the weapon without APDS bonus, then it's at least not completely broken. If it's the Weapon AP + APDS, it's ridiculous. An Ares Alpha firing 3 (or 6, worst case) rounds would have an effective AP of 18, enough to completely negate the armor of an Ares Roadmaster. Even in the more conservative reading, it'd still be (Base AP of 2 * 3 = 6) + APDS 4 = AP 10 for assault rifles. As if Automatics needed power creep...

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #1067 on: <04-11-14/0109:16> »
It does say "Base AP" which I think is very clear.  But, results in an AP increase of base x # of bullets.  Does this mean that is Base AP is -2, it is increased by -6 to -8 in the case of a 3 round burst?  Instead of saying the AP is increased to base AP times number of bullets. 

GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1068 on: <04-11-14/0142:23> »
It does say "Base AP" which I think is very clear.

I'm far from certain on that, especially with the weird ways the math can go otherwise.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1069 on: <04-11-14/0637:26> »
It does say "Base AP" which I think is very clear.
Base AP of the attack? Of the weapon? Of the ammo? If I fire an APDS-loaded EBR, do I use -3, -4 or -7 as additional value per round?

ikarinokami

• Chummer
« Reply #1070 on: <04-16-14/1629:58> »
bulls eye seems pretty clear that it's the Base AP of the weapon and from the description you can only use three bullets. and the max you can get is x3 the base ap modifier with 3 bullets. it says specificly in the description you can only use 3 bullets.

the revelent thing that's missing is whether or not the new AP superceds the +4 from APDS or Adds to the +4 from APDS.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1071 on: <04-16-14/1756:20> »
bulls eye seems pretty clear that it's the Base AP of the weapon and from the description you can only use three bullets. and the max you can get is x3 the base ap modifier with 3 bullets. it says specificly in the description you can only use 3 bullets.
No, it says the limit caps out at x3, while it talks about the second or third, it doesn't state you can't use it with a bigger burst. And while I agree that it's likely the base AP of the weapon, it's not really clear on the matter. Nor is it clear on whether 4 bullets means +basex3 or +basex2. So far from clear.

Yes, it's easy to make a call on what it means. But it IS incredibly ambiguous, so we need an official answer on it, for the sake of all GMs to prevent rule-lawyering munchkins.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1072 on: <04-16-14/2037:48> »

the revelent thing that's missing is whether or not the new AP superceds the +4 from APDS or Adds to the +4 from APDS.

It's actually quite unclear on what it's the base AP of - it could be the weapon, or it could be the attack.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

ikarinokami

• Chummer
« Reply #1073 on: <04-16-14/2219:54> »
No, it says the limit caps out at x3, while it talks about the second or third, it doesn't state you can't use it with a bigger burst. And while I agree that it's likely the base AP of the weapon, it's not really clear on the matter. Nor is it clear on whether 4 bullets means +basex3 or +basex2. So far from clear.

Yes, it's easy to make a call on what it means. But it IS incredibly ambiguous, so we need an official answer on it, for the sake of all GMs to prevent rule-lawyering munchkins.

its seems quite clear that since the max is X3 and each bullet gives a X1 and it says how each bullet is working. it says "second or third" ( not more, or each following, etc). i don't see any ambiguity here, there are penal statues that wish they were written with this much clarity.

it's AP of the gun because it didn't say "modified AP"

it's the weapon AP because that's the standerd wording in the book

unfortunately there is no guidance as to whether the +4 from the APDS is subsumed after firing the second bullet or added, since either would not be contridicted by any other rules or text

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #1074 on: <04-16-14/2223:40> »
10 posts in on a question in the Rules & FAQ thread. If y'all want to continue this, can you start a thread in the forum? Granted, it's been like 6+ months since we've heard anything from Aaron, but let's keep hoping, right?
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1075 on: <04-17-14/0227:01> »
its seems quite clear that since the max is X3 and each bullet gives a X1 and it says how each bullet is working. it says "second or third" ( not more, or each following, etc). i don't see any ambiguity here, there are penal statues that wish they were written with this much clarity.
Until you can state, with full truth, that it is written explicitly, I'm not buying your claim that there's no ambiguity. And no offense, but I cannot provide YOUR opinion on the matter to support mine to players, not at this level of ambiguity. When you become the official FAQ answerer from Catalyst, your opinion will be enough, but until then, the ambiguity exists and won't go away until officially clarified.

Once more, it's easy to make a call, but we DO need an OFFICIAL answer on it, and unless you are the OFFICIAL answer, please stop arguing, because that's the kind of debate that does NOT belong in this topic.

tl;dr: Unless you're Aaron or someone else authorized to answer it, please stop claiming an answer to something that lacks enough support to shut up all munchkins.

Yetibruce

• Newb
« Reply #1076 on: <04-19-14/0019:04> »
Rigger Questions:
1) How much do Autosofts cost per rank (ref. p269 especially, with related material on 243-245, 441-442)?

2) Page 270 has a heading "Drone Infiltration" that describes how drones sneak using their Stealth Autosoft.  P184 states under Sensor Attacks that "If the target is trying to evade detection, make this an Opposed Test versus the target's Infiltration+Agility [Physical] (metahumans, critters), Infiltration [Vehicle]+Reaction [Handling] (driven vehicles), or Pilot+[Model] Stealth [Handling] (drones).  Since metahumans are supposed to test vs. infiltration for themselves or driven vehicles, please tell us what "infiltration" is?

2A) "Infiltration" sounds like a skill, but it is not in the skills section. Sneaking (p133 & 136) sounds like it would be the skill used by meta-humans for this type of action. Page 153 references "Stealth" which is a skill group, so it sounds like Palming or Disguise might be applicable if the GM deems circumstances fit those skills.  Would that be correct?
2B) My read of the rules is that the word Infiltration should be replaced by Stealth or Sneaking wherever it appears in the text (p184 & 270), since Infiltration appears to be a skill name that was removed/changed, but was missed during the editing of these pages. Please confirm if that is correct?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1077 on: <04-19-14/0113:39> »
*snip*

Please consult the errata document for the answers to your questions.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Lobo

• Chummer
« Reply #1078 on: <04-21-14/1659:57> »
Quick Healer - just checking, assuming I am a mage with the heal spell.  With this 3 karma quality, I get the bonus when:

1) I use First Aid on someone
2) Someone uses first aid on me
3) I cast a Heal spell on someone
4) Someone casts a Heal spell on me
5) I am healing naturally

This seems weird, as in, you would think the quality means you are resilient, but then how does that work with you casting spells and using medkits on other people better?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1079 on: <04-21-14/1724:51> »
Leaving aside the way it's poorly phrased, its name, history and karmic costs suggest to me 2, 4 and 5 apply. However, I have two players arguing it's all five, and the way it's phrased, they have a point, though I find it unbelievable that is intended.