NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Domingini

• Newb
« Reply #1050 on: <03-23-14/0416:43> »
I have a question about the negative quality 'code of honor' possible official ruling. Hope this wasn't already a thread issue already.

A member of my crew took 'assassin's creed' [page 79] more for flavor than the points, our gm is a stickler for rules verbatim and verbiage he reads the rules abd takes them for face value. I was wondering does assassin's creed overwrite code of honor? Is the protected group anyone who isnt a paid target?

Do the deaths extend to members of the adventuring party or just the person with the the quality. Does the assassin still try to stop people from killing non targets?

What about public awareness? Does the assassin gain one public awareness no matter what cause people are bound to die that dont have a contract, and some will live. So 1 public awareness for each death and 1 public awareness for  Witnesses?

Thanks in advanced for the help.

alvyjereza

• Newb
« Reply #1051 on: <03-25-14/1128:53> »
1. Question about adept advancement.  If an adept spends karma to improve magic attribute does he also get an equivalent amount of powerpoints?
Ex. 1 Adept at end of character regen has Magic 5 and 5 powerpoints.  After earning karma he increases his Magic attribute to 6, does he get another power point too?
Ex. 2 Adept has Magic Attribute 6 and 6 powerpoints.  He initiates to his first level and chooses powerpoint metamagic, does he gain a total of one(due to powerpoint metamagic only) or two (due to powerpoint metamagic AND magic attribute increase) powerpoints?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1052 on: <03-25-14/1141:10> »
((Yes on 1. Page 279.))
((No on 2. Initiation does NOT raise his Magic Attribute.))
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1053 on: <03-25-14/1212:23> »
I have a question about the negative quality 'code of honor' possible official ruling. Hope this wasn't already a thread issue already.

A member of my crew took 'assassin's creed' [page 79] more for flavor than the points, our gm is a stickler for rules verbatim and verbiage he reads the rules abd takes them for face value. I was wondering does assassin's creed overwrite code of honor? Is the protected group anyone who isnt a paid target?

Do the deaths extend to members of the adventuring party or just the person with the the quality. Does the assassin still try to stop people from killing non targets?

What about public awareness? Does the assassin gain one public awareness no matter what cause people are bound to die that dont have a contract, and some will live. So 1 public awareness for each death and 1 public awareness for  Witnesses?

Thanks in advanced for the help.

Assassin's Creed is an "other form" of Code of Honor (see the sentence immediately before the bullet point), so it replaces the main text.  Your PA will go up just like it describes in the Assassin's Creed bullet point: killing without a contract.  You don't need to worry about leaving witnesses.  Wait--that sounds crazy.  Just make sure, "kill at witnesses" is a clause in your contract.  Carry a nonlethal option at all times.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

alvyjereza

• Newb
« Reply #1054 on: <03-25-14/2256:44> »
((Yes on 1. Page 279.))
((No on 2. Initiation does NOT raise his Magic Attribute.))

Thanks for answering Michael

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1055 on: <04-07-14/2136:55> »
Search didn't give anything on this, but there needs to be an official ruling of what counts as "touching" for the purpose of Touch Trigger preparations, and how much an alchemist can handle their own touch triggers.  Lemme see if I can outline the stuff that people have pointed out.

1) You can assume "touch" means that the preparation's aura comes into contact with the living being's aura.  This is the same reason touch spells aren't useless against people wearing clothing.  Would this be correct?  If this is not the case, then touch triggers would be almost useless.

2) When it says "the next living being", does this mean the alchemist is excluded?  Can an alchemist not trigger their own touch-trigger preparations?

3) Assuming the above is not the case, when does the preparation "arm"?  If it is possible for an alchemist to trigger it immediately after they finish making it, then transporting a touch-trigger preparation would be very difficult (assuming #1 is accurate). 

4) Or, is it that the preparation does not "arm" until it leaves the alchemist's aura (the alchemist was the first to touch is, and now the "next living being" is able to trigger it) at which point the alchemist would trigger it if they touched it again?
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Coldstone

• Newb
« Reply #1056 on: <04-08-14/1209:20> »
The official 'unofficial' answers in regard to touch trigger preparations are as thus (it has come up a few times, it may just be well buried within topics.

1) touch implies a living beings aura, yes. Metahuman, spirit, probably watchers...not sure about things like homunculi or spell aura's though (like magic fingers).

2) the alchemist is not excluded, meaning he can set it off as well.

3) this reflects partly to 2, but the preparation is basically armed right after the rolls are completed. So the moment the alchemy is finished, you got a live one right in front of you. It's strongly recommended you have something non living to grab it (like a robot or tongs) or put it in a very thick object to minimize aura contact.

4) see 3

This is one of those questions that people are hoping will get fine tuned during a bigger errata, because it does make live triggers very risky to handle. If things like magic fingers can handle it safely, then there is a few plausible options that are less of a problem, but until they invent Aura-sealing latex gloves, you want to give Fireball Preps a wide berth.

martinchaen

« Reply #1057 on: <04-08-14/1222:29> »
<znip>until they invent Aura-sealing latex gloves, you want to give Fireball Preps a wide berth.
(( Or cast it on the door handle of the open door that you're about to walk through and close behind you without touching the handle...

When pursuit catches up to you; kafwooom! ))

Coldstone

• Newb
« Reply #1058 on: <04-08-14/1236:39> »
If you have that many minutes to set an exploding Door knob (why does that sound like a Harry Potter gag? Biting Doorknobs!) Are they really chasing you? XD

Still, a cute idea that may work anyways for stuff.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1059 on: <04-08-14/1746:55> »
If you have that many minutes to set an exploding Door knob (why does that sound like a Harry Potter gag? Biting Doorknobs!) Are they really chasing you? XD

Still, a cute idea that may work anyways for stuff.

It's not that hard to set up. Just have it as part of your evac plan.... while the rest of the party is off getting the item/dude/data, the mage is prepping the evac path with things like this. Yes it takes minutes to do, but it all depends on when you spend those minutes. (in the middle of a case as they are bearing down on you is too late.)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1060 on: <04-08-14/1749:41> »
((Just like how a Decker shouldn't try to get his Marks on enemy comms when combat starts, but in advance.))
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Jackal

• Newb
  • JackPoint VPN Admin
« Reply #1061 on: <04-08-14/2049:17> »
Agony and Mass Agony Question:

"Each net hit scored by the magician temporarily inflicts 1 box of Physical and 1 box of Stun damage on the target."

"Grunts have only one Condition Monitor, which is used to track both Physical and Stun damage."

When cast on Grunts, do these two spells effectively double the damage since a grunt only has a single damage track and treats Stun and Physical Damage the same? IE, 5 net hits would knock out a average grunt (10 boxes).
Dumpshock IRC Server

"This Snow Crash thing—is it a virus, a drug, or a religion?"
"What's the difference?"

"Jack the sound barrier. Bring the noise."

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1062 on: <04-08-14/2117:12> »
Agony and Mass Agony Question:

"Each net hit scored by the magician temporarily inflicts 1 box of Physical and 1 box of Stun damage on the target."

"Grunts have only one Condition Monitor, which is used to track both Physical and Stun damage."

When cast on Grunts, do these two spells effectively double the damage since a grunt only has a single damage track and treats Stun and Physical Damage the same? IE, 5 net hits would knock out a average grunt (10 boxes).

based on what the book says on page 379

SR 5 Core Book. page 379: Condition monitors

All damage taken by a grunt, whether it’s Physical
or Stun, is tracked on this one Condition Monitor; when
it’s full, the grunt is out of action for the rest of the fight.
Grunts don’t get overflow damage like PCs do.

I would say that yes, it double dips the damage, so that 5 nets hits would indeed be 10 damage for Grunts (and thus most likely taking them out of the fight)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Jackal

• Newb
  • JackPoint VPN Admin
« Reply #1063 on: <04-08-14/2142:55> »
Yeah, I had a feeling. Using RAW I had a mage disable everyone in a bar fight with Mass Agony, then walked around and executed all the baddies, it was a gang turf war thing which will obviously draw some serious attention. She got 6 hits on the test and due to my GM dice apparently taking pity on the players, the mooks only got 1 success. So 5 net hits... 5 Stun + 5 Physical = On the ground thinking they were mostly dead. Allies on her side are going to be extremely angry and or fearful of her after that move since she incapacitated them as well.
Dumpshock IRC Server

"This Snow Crash thing—is it a virus, a drug, or a religion?"
"What's the difference?"

"Jack the sound barrier. Bring the noise."

Coldstone

• Newb
« Reply #1064 on: <04-08-14/2342:38> »
Keep in mind that damage is 'temporary' at least until they were dealt with. You only need one or two non-grunts to make that strategy not perfect, and get the hits, -and- they have to resist it badly.

It's a good anti-grunt, but it's not perfect either.