NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #1035 on: <03-20-14/2043:34> »
I am positive this must have been addressed before, but I don't see it.

Are agents capped in rating based on the device rating of the deck they are on? The book explicitly compares them to pilot programs, and pilots are capped by the device rating of their drones, so I assumed agents were capped the same way?

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #1036 on: <03-20-14/2045:31> »
I am positive this must have been addressed before, but I don't see it.

Are agents capped in rating based on the device rating of the deck they are on? The book explicitly compares them to pilot programs, and pilots are capped by the device rating of their drones, so I assumed agents were capped the same way?

There is nothing in raw that caps them, The rating of the device will serve as a limit however.
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #1037 on: <03-20-14/2046:14> »
...and pilots are capped by the device rating of their drones, so I assumed agents were capped the same way?
Can you cite this? Most drones have a "DR" of 2, but a Pilot (and apparently effective DR) of 3 from what I recall.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #1038 on: <03-20-14/2058:31> »
...and pilots are capped by the device rating of their drones, so I assumed agents were capped the same way?
Can you cite this? Most drones have a "DR" of 2, but a Pilot (and apparently effective DR) of 3 from what I recall.

Oh, right. Hmmm.

This is weird. Why wouldn't deckers all run rating 6 agents all the time then? They're not terribly expensive.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1039 on: <03-20-14/2136:49> »
NPCs? Because even with a Middle Lifestyle, 12k is more than 2 months of rent + food + clothes + entertainment budget. PCs? Because decks are expensive enough on their own, and you'll always want more stuff than you can have.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1040 on: <03-20-14/2148:20> »
NPCs? Because even with a Middle Lifestyle, 12k is more than 2 months of rent + food + clothes + entertainment budget. PCs? Because decks are expensive enough on their own, and you'll always want more stuff than you can have.

Wait, you telling me that I don't actually own lunar property???
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #1041 on: <03-20-14/2207:13> »

Yes, but it seems that many PC deckers will have a bunch of a rating 6 agents and not bother with lower rating ones at all unless their contacts/face cannot handle the 18 availability.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1042 on: <03-20-14/2228:10> »
Hate to break it to you, but no. There's a treaty about how nobody can own the moon, no matter how many people claim otherwise and try to sell you a few square feet of moon.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1043 on: <03-21-14/0048:51> »
Hate to break it to you, but no. There's a treaty about how nobody can own the moon, no matter how many people claim otherwise and try to sell you a few square feet of moon.

oh :(

Hey, wanna buy a bridge?
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1044 on: <03-21-14/1020:30> »
Depends. Is it on the moon?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1045 on: <03-21-14/1023:53> »
((Actually, one of the tables is pretty clear that Drones are DR3. However, DR doesn't cap programs so dunno if they will cap Pilots when we can buy Pilot programs. There also don't seem to be any DR-rating limits left in SR5.))
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1046 on: <03-21-14/1043:56> »
((Actually, one of the tables is pretty clear that Drones are DR3. However, DR doesn't cap programs so dunno if they will cap Pilots when we can buy Pilot programs. There also don't seem to be any DR-rating limits left in SR5.))
((Both the Device Rating tables on p. 234 and 421 say 2, but the drone section says "Pilots have a Rating indicated by the Device Rating of the vehicle, drone, or other piece of gear they’re in." Agree with everything else.))
« Last Edit: <03-21-14/1836:23> by JackVII »
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1047 on: <03-21-14/1108:58> »
((There's another table that says DR3.))
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1048 on: <03-21-14/1856:04> »
The main point of this question is for it to hopefully be included in the FAQ, but I'd welcome other players interpretations:

The Astral Tracking description seems to imply that you can only use the astral signature of a spell to track down the caster if the spell is still active. From what I recall, an extant astral signature was all that was required previously. Additionally, the first condition in the Astral Tracking Modifiers table would seem to imply that an astral link no longer needs to be active in order to use Astral Tracking (for instance, a Force 4 spell cast at location 2 hours ago that wasn't wiped clean by the spellcaster).

Q: Can the astral signature of a previously cast spell, summoned spirit, etc. be used as the basis for an Astral Tracking attempt or must the spell/spirit/etc still be active?
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1049 on: <03-21-14/2216:02> »
The main point of this question is for it to hopefully be included in the FAQ, but I'd welcome other players interpretations:

The Astral Tracking description seems to imply that you can only use the astral signature of a spell to track down the caster if the spell is still active. From what I recall, an extant astral signature was all that was required previously. Additionally, the first condition in the Astral Tracking Modifiers table would seem to imply that an astral link no longer needs to be active in order to use Astral Tracking (for instance, a Force 4 spell cast at location 2 hours ago that wasn't wiped clean by the spellcaster).

Q: Can the astral signature of a previously cast spell, summoned spirit, etc. be used as the basis for an Astral Tracking attempt or must the spell/spirit/etc still be active?

After reading through the (admittedly very short) section on Astral Tracking, I think I see the part that you're referring to, on page 315:

Active spells are linked to their casters, spirits are linked to their summoners, astrally projecting magicians are linked to their physical bodies, and foci and magical lodges are linked to the magicians who activated them.

However, I see nothing else on the subject of auras, astral signatures, or astral tracking that supports that line.  In fact, like you I found a great deal of contradictory evidence.  Therefore, I would assume that this is not a typo so much as poor phrasing.  It probably should simply drop the word "Active" from the sentence.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.