NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Kanly

• Omae
« Reply #960 on: <02-01-14/1524:32> »
Any source for this Vehicle Infiltration?

Pontoark

• Newb
« Reply #961 on: <02-01-14/1527:57> »
Any source for this Vehicle Infiltration?

"make this an Opposed Test versus the target’s Infiltration + Agility [Physical] (metahumans, critters), Infiltration (Vehicle) + Reaction [Handling] (driven vehicles), or Pilot + [Model] Stealth [Handling] (drones). Since vehicle stealth is limited by the driver’s ability..." page 184

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #962 on: <02-01-14/1806:00> »
Must a physical adept learn the Arcana skill in order to Initiate, or can he do an Intuition-only test (as opposed to Arcana + Intuition)?
« Last Edit: <02-02-14/1213:09> by samoth »

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #963 on: <02-02-14/1045:57> »
Must a physical adept learn the Arcana skill in order to Initiate, or can he do an Intuition-only test (as opposed to Arcana + Initiation)?

Currently the adept uses Arcana.  I'm letting my Adept use physical skills though, because I don't like that rule.  In Street Magic (4th edition) there were alternative ways for Adepts to initiate, and I imagine we'll see those with the magic book (either called Aetherology or Street Grimoire).
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #964 on: <02-02-14/1611:34> »
Actually, every splatbook title we know has some relation to running - Run and Gun, Run Faster, Data Trails (as in, you run along the trail)...  I assume this theme will continue.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

tasti man LH

• Chummer
« Reply #965 on: <02-04-14/0633:44> »
Actually, every splatbook title we know has some relation to running - Run and Gun, Run Faster, Data Trails (as in, you run along the trail)...  I assume this theme will continue.

Sadly no; in Coyotes, the magic book was name-dropped as "Street Grimoire".

--------------------------------------------------

Anyways, so looking over Hack on the Fly vs Brute Force...besides requiring a different skill, Matrix attribute, and a different defense roll, it looks like the two actions do pretty much the same thing. Is that really all the differences the two have? Or is their a clear cost/benefit between the two that I'm somehow missing?
"I prefer the Turnabout discussions more then the Roundabout variety"

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #966 on: <02-04-14/0645:18> »
One is an Attack action, which means that if it fails you get a rebound attack but the target remains unaware, while if you fail the Sleaze alternative the target knows you're there and scores a mark on it.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #967 on: <02-04-14/0653:27> »
Sadly no; in Coyotes, the magic book was name-dropped as "Street Grimoire".

Damn, that is unfortunate...  Of course, it does beg the question as to what the "Aetherology" book teased in the book's login page is...  Magic PDF release?

And in addition to what Michael Chandra mentioned, the two actions have different benefits for scoring multiple net hits (Matrix Damage vs. Matrix Perception, if I recall correctly).
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #968 on: <02-04-14/1026:17> »
Found a few threads discussing this, but no definitive answer, so I figured a FAQ entry would be appropriate:

How does the Shatter/Powerbolt/Powerball line of spells interact with Barriers, specifically with the intent to destroy? The part that is confusing is whether the barrier gets to use its structure in place of body to resist the spell. The example seems to imply that the spell is indeed resisted in some way (given the use of net hits), but something explicit would be appreciated.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #969 on: <02-04-14/1230:09> »
What specialization of the Gymnastics skill would give bonus die to dodging attacks?  "Dodge" isn't listed as a spec.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #970 on: <02-04-14/1338:44> »
Sorry JackVII, I don't have an answer for your question.  I'm not trying to bury your question as it's extremely valid and one that I would like to know as well.

What specialization of the Gymnastics skill would give bonus die to dodging attacks?  "Dodge" isn't listed as a spec.

I think there isn't a specialization that can be applied generically to all attacks.  You might say something along the lines of "evasion", but even that's a little vague.  Most dodge actions aren't being done in a vacuum.  Most dodge actions are to attempt to find cover, hit the dirt, etc.  I don't know of any specialization of Gymnastics that might help in that area.

Honestly, it's one of the irritating things about switching all extra dodge dice to Gymnastics, but it's also nicely balanced because now people can't just become "dodge tanks."  Dodging is done with your Reaction and Intuition, as it should be - Gymnastics is already the bonus dice.

In answer to your question though: there isn't anything specifically in the rules exhaustively stating all the potential specializations.  So you and/or your GM can work together to determine if a "dodge" specialization is something you want to include.  I wouldn't include it, personally.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #971 on: <02-04-14/1346:06> »
No problem. Honestly, neither Aaron or anyone else in even a quasi-official capacity has been answering questions in this thread for some time. I'm just posting in the hope that they do go through this thread at some point and compile a FAQ.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #972 on: <02-07-14/1543:49> »
Q: Difference between meeting and beating Thresholds. The book seems to use the terms "meeting" and "beating" pretty cavalierly when referencing thresholds. It's not clear if these terms are somewhat synonymous with each other or not. It's possible that "beating" a threshold refers to getting net hits, but isn't exactly clear. For a specific example, the spell Levitate states:
You have to beat a threshold equal to the subject’s mass divided by 200 kilograms, rounded up.
Does this mean the spell does nothing if you only achieve one net success as you would have only met the threshold rather than beaten it? Or would one success allow you to levitate up to 200kg?
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #973 on: <02-07-14/1602:28> »
Q: Difference between meeting and beating Thresholds. The book seems to use the terms "meeting" and "beating" pretty cavalierly when referencing thresholds. It's not clear if these terms are somewhat synonymous with each other or not. It's possible that "beating" a threshold refers to getting net hits, but isn't exactly clear. For a specific example, the spell Levitate states:
You have to beat a threshold equal to the subject’s mass divided by 200 kilograms, rounded up.
Does this mean the spell does nothing if you only achieve one net success as you would have only met the threshold rather than beaten it? Or would one success allow you to levitate up to 200kg?

I've always interpreted that text to refer to the latter option.  If someone's trying to levitate 250kg, the threshold is clearly 2.  I say that when you meet the threshold, you beat the test.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #974 on: <02-07-14/1613:41> »
I've always interpreted that text to refer to the latter option.  If someone's trying to levitate 250kg, the threshold is clearly 2.  I say that when you meet the threshold, you beat the test.
That's my general interpretation too. I think what complicates it is this text in the Hits & Thresholds paragraph of Section.02:
Each time you roll the dice, you’ll be looking to get enough hits to meet or beat a threshold, which is the number of hits you need to do the thing you’re trying to do.
Emphasis added indicating they are two distinct concepts (or just somewhat sloppy writing when combined with the Levitate text).
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal