NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #945 on: <01-22-14/1423:35> »
The sprite has to activate Suppression and sustain the power in order to gain the effect.  Let's see it in use in some scenarios:

Scenario 1:
Technomancer Bob has a level 4 Crack Sprite compiled and registered, but not active.  Bob trips the alarm in a node and the IC is unleashed instantly.  Bob then brings out his Crack Sprite and activates Suppression.  The IC that is already launched stays active.  Bob manages to take out the IC that has been launched, and the IC attempts to respawn.  Because Suppression is active, the IC being launched is delayed by Level / 2 (2) turns.

Scenario 2:
Technomancer Bob has learned his lesson.  He still has his trusty level 4 Crack sprite registered, and when he enters a node he asks the sprite to activate Suppression.  Bob trips another alarm, but this time the IC is delayed from launching by Level / 2 (2) turns.  This gives Bob enough time to get what he needs and get out of the node.

Scenario 3: Bob stops tripping alarms by learning how to be a good technomancer.  :P
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

bull30548

• Newb
« Reply #946 on: <01-27-14/0650:01> »
New Question:

In fourth edition there was a rule that if you bought cyberware and bioware it cost essence.  However, if for example you bought more of one then the other the other essence cost was reduced by half.  Is that still the case in fifth edition?
GM Guy
Catalyst Game Labs Agent

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #947 on: <01-27-14/0655:37> »
Is that still the case in fifth edition?
Nope.

Tuoweit

• Newb
« Reply #948 on: <01-27-14/1355:40> »
Tried a quick search but came up empty.

What number do you use for a Sprite's Mental Attribute when it performs a Matrix task?  Its Level, or its corresponding Matrix Attribute value according to the Living Persona table?   (I'm assuming we use Level for its skill ratings, which isn't stated either but there's no reasonable alternative.)

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #949 on: <01-27-14/1924:15> »
Going strictly by the Sprite example in the book (which is admittedly not the best vouchsafe), I believe Level is the correct answer.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Tuoweit

• Newb
« Reply #950 on: <01-27-14/1948:36> »
Going strictly by the Sprite example in the book (which is admittedly not the best vouchsafe), I believe Level is the correct answer.

Ah thanks, hadn't noticed the example at all.  It's not very precise but yeah that seems to be how they calculate things.  I suppose it makes sense, otherwise high-Level Sprites would be a bit too good - I'd mostly been contemplating more moderate-Level sprites.

Mr.Sarsaparilla

• Newb
« Reply #951 on: <01-30-14/0754:58> »
Hello!

Sorry if this has been asked somewhere else but the questions thread is getting rather daunting to shift through so I'll hazard ridicule:

Matrix geography and related issues...

SR5 gives a fanciful description how all devices are on a flat dimension which can be considered matrix "ground" above it, the "sky" is filled with hosts, the largest being the big ten. How does is description relate to the following scenarios?:

1. Lets assume that we have a device,say a sentry gun in a Renraku black city slaved to the local host. Where does it show in the matrix? Near the hacker (Assuming that the hacker is near the sentry gun) or is it inside the host and therefore invisible to the hacker? Other possibility would be that you can see the icon of the gun but a "glowing forcefield" is transmitted around it from the nearby moon of Endor..Sorry Renraku blacksite host.

2. Next stop, the problem of the nature of hosts. In SR5, it is stated both in the matrix glossary and in the description (sorry, i haven't got the PDF here with so i can't make direct quotes) of hosts that hosts are non-localized matrix entities. The chapter's intruction would support that statement by saying that for example the hosts of the big ten can be always seen hovering above. So how do you measure distance to a host? Furthermore if hosts are non-localized why would the big ten create separate hosts for example blacksites? It would then make sense to actually have everything on that one big host above the sky and put the hundreds of spiders and IC in their disposal running inside the one host and make that host virtually impregnable. This problem is made even more obscure by the statement that when you're inside a host the distance to any device slaved to it doesn't matter.

I get that you can measure distance to local host quite easily(just measure your distance to the closest stuffer shack etc.) but what i don't get that is, if hosts are non-localized and noise isn't an issue inside a host, why would anything owned by the big ten be outside their main hosts and guarded by a veritable army of spiders and black IC. If this is the correct reading, I have to admit running against a Renraku blacksite went from crazy-dangerous to mission impossible on steroids. Basically that reading would mean anything connected to the big ten would be basically out of reach, even the local Renraku office gopher's Honda Gopher...

Tell me what I am missing....

Thanks!

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #952 on: <01-30-14/1007:55> »
Hey there Mr. Sarsaparilla, I'll hazard an attempt to answer your questions.

1. Lets assume that we have a device,say a sentry gun in a Renraku black city slaved to the local host. Where does it show in the matrix? Near the hacker (Assuming that the hacker is near the sentry gun) or is it inside the host and therefore invisible to the hacker? Other possibility would be that you can see the icon of the gun but a "glowing forcefield" is transmitted around it from the nearby moon of Endor..Sorry Renraku blacksite host.

The sentry gun is almost 100% likely to be on the Renraku grid and host.  This depends on the architecture that your GM decides to use for the sentry gun.  Most likely he/she will want to put the gun on the Renraku grid and host to take full advantage of the Matrix security that they have to offer.

The blacksite host would be running silent, but still connected to the overall Renraku grid.  It's also likely that the blacksite is hardlined to the grid, making it impossible to access from outside the site.  So assuming the blacksite is running a host (it probably is) and the host is wireless (which is probably is), your hacker will need to get into the building or find a way to tap the hardline that the blacksite is running to the rest of the Matrix.

You can access any grid from wherever you are, but you suffer a penalty if you're not on the same grid as your target.  So you'd "hop" to the Renraku grid to find the host.  Once you've gained access to the host (either by hacking it or directly tapping the line), then you have to find the sentry gun's node.  Once you've got the node in sight, you can put marks on it to spoof commands, or hack it to try to take full control, etc.

2. Next stop, the problem of the nature of hosts. In SR5, it is stated both in the matrix glossary and in the description (sorry, i haven't got the PDF here with so i can't make direct quotes) of hosts that hosts are non-localized matrix entities. The chapter's intruction would support that statement by saying that for example the hosts of the big ten can be always seen hovering above. So how do you measure distance to a host? Furthermore if hosts are non-localized why would the big ten create separate hosts for example blacksites? It would then make sense to actually have everything on that one big host above the sky and put the hundreds of spiders and IC in their disposal running inside the one host and make that host virtually impregnable. This problem is made even more obscure by the statement that when you're inside a host the distance to any device slaved to it doesn't matter.

I was trying to think of a good analogy to help explain the nature of hosts, but honestly the tech doesn't exist yet to give a good analogy.  Picture this instead: the hosts are all connected via a grid.  The grid helps to minimize signal attenuation and packet loss, but it's not perfect because distance still applies.  This is why the Big Ten don't run a single host that manages hundreds of thousands of nodes.  On top of that, the hosts simply wouldn't have the power to run all of those nodes at once.

However, having all the hosts visible all at once is a huge mistake, right?  Not when you consider that a host can run silent, making it invisible to casual observers.  Consider also that the point at which a user jacks in to full VR is the location that is used when determining matrix perception.  Most hosts, nodes, etc. are difficult to perceive at distances further than 100m away.  So a potential hacker has to be closer than 100m away from the host, perceive the host, hop a grid, and possibly also tap the data lines in order to hack a host.  It's a pretty secure system, really.

I get that you can measure distance to local host quite easily(just measure your distance to the closest stuffer shack etc.) but what i don't get that is, if hosts are non-localized and noise isn't an issue inside a host, why would anything owned by the big ten be outside their main hosts and guarded by a veritable army of spiders and black IC. If this is the correct reading, I have to admit running against a Renraku blacksite went from crazy-dangerous to mission impossible on steroids. Basically that reading would mean anything connected to the big ten would be basically out of reach, even the local Renraku office gopher's Honda Gopher...

As stated in my previous answer, the hosts simply wouldn't have the power to do what you're describing.  On top of that, there's the fact that doing what you describe is a huge mistake from a security perspective.  That would mean that Joe Schmo at the Stuffer Shack in Des Moines can access (via hacking, naturally) the Aztechnology data in Cali, Columbia.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #953 on: <01-30-14/1040:49> »
Just FYI: This is probably more of a question for the main section than the FAQ thread. There's a lot of room for interpretation and rules quotes, so it should have its own thread.

For one:
For all intents and purposes, there is no “physical” distance to any host in the Matrix. You can always spot a host from anywhere on the planet without a test, assuming the host isn’t running silent.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Mr.Sarsaparilla

• Newb
« Reply #954 on: <01-30-14/1057:07> »
Thanks for the answers!

I think I get what you're saying. What has bothered me always is the relationship between the noise-distance rules and host. However, if I understand this view correctly, distance induced noise come to play only when dealing with devices that aren't coupled with a host and that as host are "the stuff of matrix" they are present as such everywhere in the matrix and have no distance. This then means that when you're hacking a host, you don't get distance penalties but other noise modifiers are still in play, yes?

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #955 on: <01-30-14/1127:48> »
Yes. Also, note that the noise penalties for environment are those that apply from where the hacker is physically located, since a host, even if "physically tethered" exists everywhere in the matrix at all times).

With that said, I believe that a device that is slaved to a host, but not necessarily located inside (still not sure if you can even do that with a device) would introduce noise-due-to-distance penalties. If the gun you mentioned in your example were merely slaved to the host, you would suffer noise-to-distance penalties as well as environmental penalties. If you were somehow able to plug in directly to the device, all of those penalties would disappear (plus you wouldn't have to deal with the host's ratings for defense.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Kanly

• Omae
« Reply #956 on: <02-01-14/1424:25> »
How do non-drones defend against Active Sensor Targeting?

Pontoark

• Newb
« Reply #957 on: <02-01-14/1428:03> »
How do non-drones defend against Active Sensor Targeting?

It's an opposed Test using the appropriate Sensor Defense (Sensor Defense Table page 184)

I suppose it's a simple action but the book only says it's an action...
« Last Edit: <02-01-14/1431:10> by Pontoark »

Kanly

• Omae
« Reply #958 on: <02-01-14/1443:12> »
Thanks I forgot about that table. Reading it spurred additional questions tho.

What is "Infiltration (Vehicle)"? I know Infiltration = Sneak, but what is that for Vehicles? Asking especially b/c of the next bit:
The table says drones should use Sneak as well, but the example and the Rigging chapter both tell us that drones use Evasion (and not Stealth) autosoft against sensors.

Pontoark

• Newb
« Reply #959 on: <02-01-14/1517:40> »
Thanks I forgot about that table. Reading it spurred additional questions tho.

What is "Infiltration (Vehicle)"? I know Infiltration = Sneak, but what is that for Vehicles? Asking especially b/c of the next bit:
The table says drones should use Sneak as well, but the example and the Rigging chapter both tell us that drones use Evasion (and not Stealth) autosoft against sensors.
I believe that this Infiltration (Vehicle) happens when you are controlling (by remote control action, by jumping in or manual control) a vehicle or a drone, and it's  value is  is the lowest rating between his stealth skill and pilot skill of the one controlling the vehicle.

Drones uses the evasion autosoft only against active targeting, and stealth against sensor detection (taking in consideration what is written in the evasion autosoft (page 269)), this is only my opinion of course, I think this really needs a official faq/errata