NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

SirValeq

• Newb
« Reply #930 on: <01-16-14/1719:35> »
Thank you and sorry for messing in the wrong thread.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #931 on: <01-16-14/1720:41> »
S'okay, this topic is confusing anyway.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

GM907

• Newb
« Reply #932 on: <01-19-14/1706:15> »
A couple of questions.  New to the forum, started pouring through the pages of this doc so if they've been answered please just submit a link if you have easy access to them:

Cyber/bioware and essence loss:
In the front of the corebook it says that essence loss is permanent, you can't get it back.  What if someone losses a limb, do they loss essence? 

One of my players brought up the thought that essence loss is pretty much a loss of your pattern, so even losing a limb should probably result in essence loss.  Otherwise losing a limb and then having a vat grown replacement made seems like replacing it with bioware.  Haven't seen anything about having basic limb/organ replacements for those lost or defective (with bioware being available it seems these medical miracles would at least be touched on).

PANs/WANs:
I haven't found anything clarifying whether you have to mark an individual device or if you can just mark the PAN/WAN and therefore have marks on all devices in the network.  The closest thing I found was in the Hosts section, where if you mark anything connected to the host you have marks on everything.  I'd assume it'd be the same for PAN/WANs and would streamline Matrix combat/hacking.

Technomancers:
Why is the Fade so extreme?  You have magicians who can throw Force 5 bolts (Effective 5P, -5AP) and only have to soak 2 drain, whereas a Technomancer just wanting to do a Level 5 Res Spike has to soak 5 fade.  Does he not have to contend with failed attack Matrix Damage?

Also, are Resonance actions also considered Matrix actions?  Do they benefit from the +2 dice for being "hot-sim"?

If you use the Editor complex form do you have to crack a file before using it?  If so, what's the point when you have to mark and crack the file with matrix hack actions before you can use your Editor?  I believe the point and "mysticism" of complex forms/resonance actions is you don't need marks on files/personas to manipulate them.  There seems to be a distinct lack of complex forms that mirror hack actions.  Was it the intention to have to hybridize between complex forms and traditional hacking for Technomancers?

Spirits:
With spellcasting and complex forms, having one sustained nets you a -2 modifier on all further actions.  Then do summoned spirits, who materialize (a sustained power) to affect the physical world also gain the -2 to their pools for continued actions, i.e. unarmed combat, etc.

Thanks in advance.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #933 on: <01-20-14/0310:50> »
In the past, essence loss has NOT occurred on limb loss - the difference between the loss of the limb and the artificial replacement being the introduction of a foreign element.  The vat-grown replacement is cloned, and is thus just like the limb that is lost; thus, it fits the pattern.  If I remember Arsenal right (SR4, had rules for cloned replacements), cloned replacements did not cost you Essence.

As far as Technomancer Fading:  General consensus is that there is no good reason for Fading to be so extreme.  The rules for them kinda suck.  That said, the implications for failed Attack or Stealth actions are not relevant to Resonance actions like Threading, because they do not use either of those limits.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Ren

• Ace Runner
« Reply #934 on: <01-20-14/0330:08> »
P. 250, Resonance Actions: second sentence states that Resonance actions are not Matrix actions.

The book says nowhere that sustaining a power incurs any penalty to further actions.

P. 233, PANs and WANs: third paragraph, second sentence states that getting a mark on a slaved device also gets a mark on the master.

As rules for Matrix actions are not followed by Resonance actions, i'd say you don't need to crack a file's protection before using Editor. Hence the hefty Fading value. But this is just opinion.
"Speech", Matrix, >>Text<<, Thoughts, Astral
Bulldog
Stake

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #935 on: <01-20-14/0354:53> »
Hence the hefty Fading value.

Please compare Fading values to Drain values before making this statement again.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Ren

• Ace Runner
« Reply #936 on: <01-20-14/0922:59> »
Hence the hefty Fading value.

Please compare Fading values to Drain values before making this statement again.
Did that before posting my opinion.
"Speech", Matrix, >>Text<<, Thoughts, Astral
Bulldog
Stake

SirValeq

• Newb
« Reply #937 on: <01-20-14/1002:16> »
Question: does the master-slave relation always have only two levels? Can a slave serve as a master for something else? Example: drone slaved to a cyberdeck, cyberdeck slaved to a host (let's assume the host isn't only virtual, but also physical).

Neongelion

• Newb
« Reply #938 on: <01-20-14/1023:58> »
So the rule is that you take a minimum of 2 Drain while casting spells. For some reason I'm interpreting this as meaning that a magician takes a minimum of 2 Drain regardless of whatever foci he has or how many hits he got on to resist drain. Is this true?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #939 on: <01-20-14/1036:14> »
Incorrect. The Drain Value is never lower than 2, but you resist the Drain Value with a Drain Resistance Test. It simply means that no matter how low the spell's Force is, you always have to resist at least 2 drain.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

GM907

• Newb
« Reply #940 on: <01-20-14/2157:55> »
P. 250, Resonance Actions: second sentence states that Resonance actions are not Matrix actions.

The book says nowhere that sustaining a power incurs any penalty to further actions.

P. 233, PANs and WANs: third paragraph, second sentence states that getting a mark on a slaved device also gets a mark on the master.

As rules for Matrix actions are not followed by Resonance actions, i'd say you don't need to crack a file's protection before using Editor. Hence the hefty Fading value. But this is just opinion.

Ren - thank you for the page numbers.  Regarding sustaining I did some more digging and found one relating to Spirits.  However if you're speaking about the book, spellcasting and complex forms both incur penalties for sustaining.  Pg. 282, under Step 7: Determining Effects talks about the -2 to all tests while maintaining a spell.  Then again, for Technomancers on pg. 251 under Threading.  For those wondering about Spirits/critters/etc. that use "innate powers", pg. 394 under Duration, talks how these beings and creatures are not subjected to the same penalty.  -.-

RHat - thanks for your reply, it was helpful.

MadBear

• Chummer
« Reply #941 on: <01-21-14/0938:44> »
When wielding two firearms and taking attacking two targets, do you get wireless smartlink bonus twice, once for each weapon? Or only once? In previous editions you couldn't use a Smartlink with two guns at all, but then, you didn't have to divide your dice pool in half either...
When wielding two firearms and Taking Aim, do you add the bonus twice? Or only once per Simple Action? CAN you Take Aim with two firearms?
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
-Dr Suess

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #942 on: <01-21-14/1252:37> »
When wielding two firearms and taking attacking two targets, do you get wireless smartlink bonus twice, once for each weapon? Or only once? In previous editions you couldn't use a Smartlink with two guns at all, but then, you didn't have to divide your dice pool in half either...
When wielding two firearms and Taking Aim, do you add the bonus twice? Or only once per Simple Action? CAN you Take Aim with two firearms?

Point of fact, in 4ea you did in fact have to split your dice pool (and got a -2 unless you had ambidextrous quality)

Laser sights and smartlinks still can not be used while dual wielding.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

MadBear

• Chummer
« Reply #943 on: <01-21-14/1334:10> »
I've not been able to find a reference to that...
There is no mention of that under the description of Multiple Attacks on p 196, nor is there mention in the description of Smartgun System p 433, or Smartlink vision enhancement p 444, or cyberware p 453.
If I'm just missing it, great. Otherwise, rules dont say I can't do it, so that means I can.
But what about Take Aim action with two firearms? If I choose the Accuracy bonus, does it apply to both? If I choose the Dice Pool bonus, does it apply before I split my dice pool?
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
-Dr Suess

JourneysEnd

• Newb
« Reply #944 on: <01-22-14/1243:33> »
I need clarification on the Suppression Sprite Power.

Does the power completely stop the host from launching IC for the duration, does the host launch the IC and they just can't do anything until the end of the duration, or are the individual IC just delayed for the duration?

Does the sprite have to sustain the power, is it just in effect for  (Level / 2) Combat Turns, or does it just effect IC launched the turn it is used?

Thanks for the help.  :)