NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Bach_The_Fox

• Newb
« Reply #825 on: <10-25-13/1601:56> »
Quote from: SR4a page 183
Spells cast on astral objects like mana barriers or active foci are resisted with Force.

Combine that with the Disrupt [Force] spell's text, and you get the missing rule, i.e. how much damage a foci can take and what happens.

Pretty straightforward, even if they hid the damage and healing rules for foci in a dang spell as opposed to in the rules proper.

So my original point stands: All previous editions had rules for attacking foci; is it intentionally left out of SR5 or errata? And if intentional, are Foci simply invincible/untargetable?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #826 on: <10-25-13/1616:57> »
Spells cast on astral objects like mana barriers or active foci are resisted with Force.

Combine that with the Disrupt [Force] spell's text, and you get the missing rule, i.e. how much damage a foci can take and what happens.

Pretty straightforward, even if they hid the damage and healing rules for foci in a dang spell as opposed to in the rules proper.

So my original point stands: All previous editions had rules for attacking foci; is it intentionally left out of SR5 or errata? And if intentional, are Foci simply invincible/untargetable?

SR4a (passing through barriers pg 194)

An astral mana barrier may be attacked in astral combat; treat it as a
standard barrier with an Armor and Structure equal to its Force(see
Barriers, p.166).

So a force 6 power foci would roll 6 defense dice and take up to 6 damage before being deactivated, and would heal 6 points the next combat turn... Correct?
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #827 on: <10-25-13/1922:19> »
Q: What exactly is the Device Rating for cars? Their Pilot Rating, or page 421?
« Last Edit: <10-25-13/1924:26> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

rizzo

• Newb
« Reply #828 on: <10-25-13/2012:16> »

6. If an extended test has not treshold does it mean, the dice pool doesnt decreasing after every throw? (for example at Natural Recovery)

That's been asked and answered a few times. For natural recovery, the pool decreases after every throw until you're fully healed or you discover that you need medical attention. It's possible that this will be changed with future errata, but I have no information either way, so I'm sticking to what the rules say.

I though a lot of it, and unfortunately I cant attune the rule and the example (Full Deck's natural recovery) near to the rule on the page 207. If the die pool decreasing after every throw at natural recovery extended tests, how can Full Deck throw every time 6 dices?

Other:
Character creation Step Five Purchase skills (page 88):
"In addition, skill groups cannot be broken up in this step, so individual skill points cannot raise the ratings of skills purchased as a group. (Note
that skill groups can be broken up in Step Seven: Spend Your Left Over Karma (p. 98)."

A bit later:
"All skill and skill group points must be spent at the time of character creation. These points cannot be saved or used after the game starts."
Not during step five, at the time of character creation! Step seven (when I can break skill groups) pass the written condition: at the time of character creation.
So does it mean: I can spare some skill point at step five, and spend at step seven?

If yes, it has far leading consequences:
There are similar wording at special attributes and normal attributes (...must be spent at the time of character creation)
So I can spend the karma at step seven (I buy a lot of lvl. 2 attributes, and/or lvl 1-2 active skills), and after it, I can spend the spared attribute, and skill points. That way the attribute and skill points are more valuable.

I did nowhere find any rules, sentences, etc. that would forbid to spare attribute and skill points at earlier steps, and spend them at one of the later steps.

Thank you!

Bach_The_Fox

• Newb
« Reply #829 on: <10-26-13/0112:13> »

SR4a (passing through barriers pg 194)

An astral mana barrier may be attacked in astral combat; treat it as a
standard barrier with an Armor and Structure equal to its Force(see
Barriers, p.166).

So a force 6 power foci would roll 6 defense dice and take up to 6 damage before being deactivated, and would heal 6 points the next combat turn... Correct?

oh dagnabbit. I see the spell is self referential with regards to the rules for foci damage ("A focus that receives damage equal to its Force from this spell"), so my RAW argument is dashed. Glossed right over that.

PROBABLY because the FAQ is lying. It adds in that bit about an active focus having a barrier/structure rating, which is NOT in the spell description, nor stated anywheres else that I can find.

So, if we go by strict RAW in SR4a - as far as I've been able to find - you can cast a spell on a focus and it will resist with its force, but how much damage it can take is not answered. You can also attack it in Astral Combat, but how it reacts to that is not stated (Foci are not explicitly stated to have a barrier/structure rating.

If we go by the FAQ's optional rule, it has a structure/barrier rating equal to its force, and reacts to spells/astral combat as if it was any other object.

I'm not overly familiar with SR4A, but judging by the rules on barriers, a focus being treated as an a both a barrier and resisting a spell is inconsistent - barriers don't make resistance tests.

So either you go with SR4A, which doesn't make sense and is incomplete (Obviously - why else for the FAQ!), or you go with the optional rule, which would preclude the opposed test in SR4A.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #830 on: <10-26-13/0136:51> »
yea, I was kinda running myself in circles there too trying to figure out exactly what the FAQ and RAW were trying to tell us to do....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #831 on: <10-27-13/1533:24> »
Lots of rigger-related questions.
3. Similarly, what does a rigger use for initiative while using cold/hot sim?  I'm assuming it's also Data Processing + Intuition (+dice as appropriate).

3. Data Processing + Intuition.

Does this make a rigger who is jacked directly into a vehicle slower (aka a wheelman) than a rigger who is using a RCC (aka a drone rigger)?

Since surprise can happen at ANY TIME (see, you didn't see that coming), you can substitute the Surprise Test with your Leadership Test. Your team is better prepared for sudden changes in the situation.

Does the Leadership test count for your own Surprise Test?  Inspire mentions "your subordinates' Surprise Test," but not your own.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #832 on: <10-30-13/0742:44> »
Q: What are the default sensors of drones? Or does the player pick?
If there's a default, or the GM decides, I'd assume a camera and omni-directional microphone as 2 of them.

Q: Can you upgrade armor after purchase?
e.g. Add Thermal Damping 6 to your Armor Jacket (NC 6), as to not have to buy a new one.

Asking the next one again just to be sure, to see if anything new has come up since:
Q: Can you add enhancements to sensors/Imaging+Audio Devices after purchase? What about to ware?
e.g. add thermographic vision to a drone's camera, or a smartlink to cybereyes.

Follow-up Question: If not: What are the costs for replacing a single sensor with a new one? Single-sensor costs or an entire new array?
e.g. replace the drone's rating-3 camera with a new rating-3 camera that has TV and other enhancements: 300+enhancements or 3000+enhancements?

Follow-up follow-up Question: What is the availability of an enhanced sensor camera? 5+(enhancements), or max(5,enhancements)?

Follow-up Question: If not, what is the availability of an Armor's helmet? Can you buy special helmets separately when buying new enhancements?
Take for example a Full Body Armor, which has 14 availability, 23 with all the mods. Would the helmet with TV,VE3,SL,FC have 0+(4+6+4+1)=15 availability, 14+15=29, or 23+15=38, or would it compare the sum of the vision availability to the armor's availability and take the highest? (So max(enhancements,armor) which is 15 for a non-modded armor with the afore-mentioned helmet, and 17/20/23 with a modded armor.) And must they be bought with the armor or can you buy spare ones?
« Last Edit: <10-31-13/0841:46> by Michael Chandra »

MisterNix

• Newb
« Reply #833 on: <10-30-13/1130:43> »
When do you apply limits on an opposed test? 

Let's use summoning as an example - let's say you have Summoning 6 and Magic 6 and you're summoning a Force 4 spirit.  You get 6 hits on your test and the spirit gets a good roll and hits 3.  How many hits do you have?  - 3 (limits applied after) or 1 (limits applied before)?

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #834 on: <10-30-13/1338:04> »
On p 100 in the instructions for calculating the social limit.

For Social limits, round up  Essence to
the nearest whole number prior to calculating the cost.

Should that read "round up", or "round to the nearest whole number"?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #835 on: <10-30-13/1720:45> »
When do you apply limits on an opposed test? 

Let's use summoning as an example - let's say you have Summoning 6 and Magic 6 and you're summoning a Force 4 spirit.  You get 6 hits on your test and the spirit gets a good roll and hits 3.  How many hits do you have?  - 3 (limits applied after) or 1 (limits applied before)?

Limits are always on total hits, not on net hits - so it's applied before.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #836 on: <11-01-13/0827:54> »
A player had loaded his clip alternating between APDS, explosive and Stick-n-Shock ammo.  He fires a 3-round burst at his target and hits.  How is damage calculated?  Similarly, a player using an Ares Super Squirt loads with with alternating DMSO/nasty stuff rounds and fires a semi-auto burst.  What drugs effect his target?
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #837 on: <11-01-13/0834:13> »
A player had loaded his clip alternating between APDS, explosive and Stick-n-Shock ammo.  He fires a 3-round burst at his target and hits.  How is damage calculated?  Similarly, a player using an Ares Super Squirt loads with with alternating DMSO/nasty stuff rounds and fires a semi-auto burst.  What drugs effect his target?

It is expressly forbidden to load different types of ammo in one clip, tracers being an exception.

Edit: OK, not as expressly as I thought, as Michael has pointed out =)
« Last Edit: <11-01-13/0838:32> by Elektrycerze3 »
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #838 on: <11-01-13/0835:36> »
They seem to have forgotten to include the original statement that it isn't allowed, but to quote Tracer Rounds:

"This type of ammunition can only be used in Full Auto weapons and, being loaded as every third round in a clip, is an exception to the restriction of one type of ammunition per clip."

Should be errata'd to include the rule outside Tracer rounds.

MaxKojote

• Omae
« Reply #839 on: <11-02-13/1841:30> »
Do all Adept Powers including powers such as Critical Strike bypass Immunity to Normal Weapons? Just want to know because Killing Hands specifies it can bypass Magical Defences "...such as Immunity to Normal Weapons". I more or less want to know if  Critical Strike does or does not bypass Immunity, but it would be good for general clarification. Especially since if Critical Strike does bypass  Immunity to Normal Weapons, then why would you bother taking Killing Hands when a set of Knucks works just as well.
« Last Edit: <11-02-13/1848:35> by MaxKojote »
Spoken
Thoughts
Matrix
Astral

Fang (Auburn Logrolling)