NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Koshnek

• Omae
« Reply #795 on: <10-19-13/1221:37> »
When buying a control rig, does it come with hot sim or do you have to buy hot sim? If you buy it, does that increase it's rating by 4F?

Also, do drones need the rigger interface or only vehicles? I figured that one out. Can any drone with 3+ Body be given a weapon mount?

Finally, could a fly spy be modified to deliver injection vector toxins?
« Last Edit: <10-20-13/1213:08> by Koshnek »
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Voice chat & Subvocal

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #796 on: <10-19-13/1405:32> »
Possible errata: On page 301, under Spirit Basics, the second paragraph refers to materialization but the page cited (314) is for manifestation. Should this actually be referring to the critter Materialization power on page 398?

« Last Edit: <10-19-13/1408:40> by Belker »
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

Froggy711

• Newb
« Reply #797 on: <10-23-13/0125:24> »
If my character has a cup of soykaf in the morning every monday through friday for 10 weeks (that amounts to 50 cups of soykaf) at the end of 10 weeks does my character need to make 1 addiction test or 50? (assuming the addiction is strictly physical)

Rocks In My Dryer

• Newb
« Reply #798 on: <10-23-13/0148:23> »
I've found a rule which I'm unsure about on p.169, Armor and Encumbrance.

"Armor accessories, items listed with a “+” in front of their rating, add to the character’s Armor for the purpose of Damage Resistance tests. The maximum bonus a character receive from these items is limited to their Strength attribute. For every 2 full points by which the bonus exceeds the character’s Strength, the character suffers a –1 penalty to Agility and Reaction."

This makes it seem that a character with only 1 point of Strength can only have one point of armor. I assume that this refers only to the bonus provided by armor accessories and not to the character's total armor value. Otherwise, having an armor value higher than your Strength would A) Grant no additional armor bonus, and B) Lower two other stats.

So, let's say the character has no accessories. They have 1 Strength and an Armor Jacket (9 armor), they receive -4 to their Agility and Reaction. Can a character have their Agility or Reaction lowered to below 0? If yes, physical attributes are extremely important for every character, making it much more difficult to have a mage with a low attribute score. If not, all the physical stats could be considered dumpstats if one were so inclined and a mage could simply wear Full Body Armor and all the possible accessories. Just wondering which of these extremes my mage will end up having. Thanks.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #799 on: <10-23-13/0447:56> »
Like it says, Encumbrance only applies to Armor Accessories, not normal armor.

By the way, I think hitting 0 gets you paralyzed.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #800 on: <10-23-13/0500:21> »
The situational modifier "Attacker firing from cover with imaging device" p. 177 states that it is possible to fire with only the gun around the cover.
If someone wants to shoot at a character doing so, is he considered having Good cover, or is he completely hidden, imposing a blind fire penalty to the attacker?
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #801 on: <10-23-13/0654:59> »
If my character has a cup of soykaf in the morning every monday through friday for 10 weeks (that amounts to 50 cups of soykaf) at the end of 10 weeks does my character need to make 1 addiction test or 50? (assuming the addiction is strictly physical)
Only 1. You've used soykaf during the 10-week period, often enough (week 1, 3, 5, 7, 9) to not reduce the Addiction Threshold to 0, and during week 10, so the Addiction Threshold is 2, not 1. The rules do not say anything about the other 44 soykafs affecting anything.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #802 on: <10-23-13/0752:41> »
Only 1. You've used soykaf during the 10-week period, often enough (week 1, 3, 5, 7, 9) to not reduce the Addiction Threshold to 0, and during week 10, so the Addiction Threshold is 2, not 1. The rules do not say anything about the other 44 soykafs affecting anything.

nothing wrong with a caffeine addiction. It's one of the four basic food groups!!!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Cyber-Dave

• Chummer
« Reply #803 on: <10-23-13/1045:42> »
@Aaron: If you wouldn't mind clarifying, do you NEED to be surprised in order to be "unaware of an attack?" It is my understanding that you do not. The surprised rules and the unaware of an attack rules are their own entities, which is why the unaware of an attack rules say that they are invoked when a target "does not see the attacker, the attacker is behind him, or he is surprised," not "you are unaware of an attack when you are surprised." But, at least one forum poster thinks that the unaware of an attack condition is only applied when a target fails its surprise roll, so I thought I would ask in order to double check.

Likewise, if someone successfully sneaks up on a target and knifes them, or shoots a target with a sniper rifle from a hidden position, or some such, would you roll surprise before or after the attack? My understanding is that the attack is handled "outside combat." That one attack is made against a foe who is "unaware of the attack." After that, everyone rolls surprise. Am I correct? 

Tempo

• Newb
« Reply #804 on: <10-23-13/1248:52> »
I have a question regarding Ghouls, and HMHVV.

There seems like a large discrepancy between how Kreiger Strain of HMHVV is described other source material, and the Ghoul profile listed in the SR5 book.

In multiple sourcebooks it mentions how infectious and virulent Krieger HMHVV is, yet there is no mention of this in the monster profile.

Are Ghouls supposed to be really contagious or...  Are only certain ones contagious? Or are the default ghouls listed in the book 2nd or 3rd generation ghouls and no longer an infection vector?

How are we supposed to run ghouls out of the book?

Thanks for the clarification,

-Tempo

martinchaen

« Reply #805 on: <10-23-13/1435:54> »
I'll add my voice to Cyber-Dave's question above.

Q: Can you take a Combat Action (such as Fire Single Shot Weapon as a simple action, or Melee Attack) without following the Combat Turn Sequence described on page 158 and/or the Combat Resolution rules beginning on page 172?
In other words, is it possible to somehow make a Combat Action as above without rolling for surprise and or initiative first?

Rocks In My Dryer

• Newb
« Reply #806 on: <10-23-13/1631:40> »
Like it says, Encumbrance only applies to Armor Accessories, not normal armor.

This still doesn't really make sense. The paragraph in the book which handles armor accessories says two things regarding encumbrance which seem to apply only to accessories and are somewhat redundant.

1. You cannot receive more of a bonus than your Strength allows.
2. If the value does exceed your Strength, you receive negatives due to encumbrance.

Does this second rule, found in the area which pertains to accessories, apply only to accessories or should there be an erratum which puts this rule in the same paragraph which covers armor in general? I am trying to figure out if you can put every character in Full Body Armor, no matter what their physical stats. Or does the second rule also apply to your main piece of armor? Based on where the rule is, it doesn't seem that way, though I instinctively feel it should.

By the way, I think hitting 0 gets you paralyzed.

Looks like you're right. In the description of the Decrease [Attribute] Spell, it says, "If a Physical Attribute is reduced to 0, the victim is incapacitated and paralyzed. If a Mental Attribute is reduced to 0, the victim stands still, mindlessly confused." Presumably this applies to every instance of your stats hitting zero; not just for the effects of this spell. Perhaps this should be in the errata so it can also be written somewhere near the Armor and Encumbrance section, since it's relevant to that cumulative attribute decrease. Or maybe even near the section which describes attributes and their functions. Though it might need to be reworded for use with armor. I assume that putting on a big piece of armor doesn't necessarily paralyze you, though it might make you useless for the purposes of combat.

I've made bold the things which are possible errata for the benefit of the moderators, just in case they're skimming. Though I'm still curious about the rule for heavy armor on a tiny dude.
« Last Edit: <10-23-13/1636:47> by Rocks In My Dryer »

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #807 on: <10-23-13/1635:46> »
It only applies to accessories.

SR5 Armor encumbrance rules are basically.

1) You can only benefit from one piece of non accessory armor.
2) Armor accessories are limited by strength.

Any encumbrance penalties beyond that are up to the GM and fall under the standard encumbrance rules, not armor encumbrance.

Cyber-Dave

• Chummer
« Reply #808 on: <10-24-13/0133:42> »
Oh, and one more question for you Aaron: once you have already been shot through a wall, as you now know that there is someone capable of shooting at you from the other end of the wall, are you still considered unaware of the attack? Or, as you now know that the quarter is insecure, do you regain your ability to use your defense bonus vs. people shooting at you through that wall?

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #809 on: <10-24-13/1737:31> »
Do the Perceiving Magic rules apply only to the casting of spells, or also the effect of spells? If the latter, does it apply to the presence of Sustained and Quickened spells? So if a Mage has a sustained/quickened Force 6 Armor spell on himself, is he just walking down the street visibly glowing at all times?