NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

FasterN8

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • Err on the side of awesome.
« Reply #780 on: <10-15-13/1309:54> »
Don't forget Hacking the other side of the planet with no penalty.  But yes, that's the logical extension of what he said. 

I agree with where you're going on this Michael, but this probably isn't the place to discuss it.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #781 on: <10-15-13/1853:26> »
Can you use Full Matrix Defense against a Data Spike from an Icon you have not spotted?

Since Attack actions only notify the victim if they succeed, not fail, it seems to me like you don't realize you were attacked until after you already failed the test. If you interrupt to add dice to this attack, and then succeed, their attack failed, so you were never notified it happened.

Aaron

« Reply #782 on: <10-15-13/2255:30> »
In a number of places, the Matrix Chapter refers to defense tests as if the term applied to all opposed tests.  The term, however, seems to originate specifically in the Combat Chapter, and in that chapter refers specifically to rolls not to get hit.  Am I missing a definition somewhere, or is this a candidate for errata?

Notably, this Matters, because it impacts things like when you get a bonus from Full Matrix Defense.

Whenever you see "defense test," you're looking at the dice pool to the right of the "v." in an Opposed Test.

So just to be clear: A Street Samurai with 4 wireless Datajacks would be down 0.4 essence and 4k nuyen, but have 4 Noise Reduction on all their wireless gear simultaneously, meaning every piece of equipment they have (armor, smartguns, vision enhancement glasses, audio enhancement earbuds, medkit and so on) would function at Noise (DR2+NR4) 6 or less, making them essentially immune to all but the most extreme environmental Noise. Also, a Decker with 10 wireless Datajacks and Signal Scrub would be immune to any Noise that isn't 13+, letting them bypass Jammers and such. Correct?

Pretty much, yeah. Although that's a lot of hardware open to hacking.

Aaron

« Reply #783 on: <10-15-13/2256:25> »
Can you use Full Matrix Defense against a Data Spike from an Icon you have not spotted?

Yes.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #784 on: <10-15-13/2259:28> »

Yes.

That creates a weird metagame situation. A hidden spider tries to Dataspike the decker. The decker uses full defense, so the spider fails. Since the spider failed the Attack action, the decker was not notified that he just got attacked. The character doesn't know what just happened, but the player does.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #785 on: <10-15-13/2303:27> »
In a number of places, the Matrix Chapter refers to defense tests as if the term applied to all opposed tests.  The term, however, seems to originate specifically in the Combat Chapter, and in that chapter refers specifically to rolls not to get hit.  Am I missing a definition somewhere, or is this a candidate for errata?

Notably, this Matters, because it impacts things like when you get a bonus from Full Matrix Defense.

Whenever you see "defense test," you're looking at the dice pool to the right of the "v." in an Opposed Test.

Is that specific to the Matrix, or is the latter half of an opposed test considered to be a defense test at all times?  Because that seems like there could be some serious unintended consequences...  Is it intended, then, that Full Matrix Defense applies to any and all Matrix actions, and not just attack actions?

Yes.

How does taking full defense against an action of which you have absolutely zero awareness work?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #786 on: <10-15-13/2329:55> »
If you are the owner of a device, can you choose to not roll a defense test against a Matrix Action?

For example, the Set Data Bomb action is Software + Logic [Sleaze] v. (Device Rating*2), and the rating of the Data Bomb can go up to Net Hits. So can you voluntarily refuse to make this test, so that all your hits are net hits?

martinchaen

« Reply #787 on: <10-16-13/1340:21> »
Q: Can a cyberware scanner (millimeter wave detection, page 366) detect bioware?
It seems that it can only detect cyberware and weapons, as the rules specifically include "non-biological item".

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #788 on: <10-16-13/1424:39> »
Yes, bioware pretty much seems to be The answer since Augmentation :)

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #789 on: <10-16-13/1807:54> »
If you are the owner of a device, can you choose to not roll a defense test against a Matrix Action?

For example, the Set Data Bomb action is Software + Logic [Sleaze] v. (Device Rating*2), and the rating of the Data Bomb can go up to Net Hits. So can you voluntarily refuse to make this test, so that all your hits are net hits?
Yes.

[spoiler]
Set data bomb p.242
(complex Action)
Marks Required: 1
Test: Software + Logic [Sleaze] v. (Device Rating x 2)

There is a ( ) around Device Rating x 2

Q Should we read this as when you set a bomb on a file that is located in your own cyberdeck it will not try to resist you?

Generally speaking, the target's owner can choose not to defend against a Matrix action.
[/spoiler]

Aaron

« Reply #790 on: <10-16-13/1919:39> »

Is that specific to the Matrix, or is the latter half of an opposed test considered to be a defense test at all times?  Because that seems like there could be some serious unintended consequences...  Is it intended, then, that Full Matrix Defense applies to any and all Matrix actions, and not just attack actions?

That's true for the entire book. And yes, it applies against all Matrix actions.

Yes.

How does taking full defense against an action of which you have absolutely zero awareness work?

The same way you can choose to dodge down the street, ducking and weaving, moving from cover to cover, even if you're not being attacked. You take time- and energy-consuming precautions that may or may not be necessary.

Yes, although that might be better listed as errata than frequently asked question.

Q: Can a cyberware scanner (millimeter wave detection, page 366) detect bioware?

No.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #791 on: <10-16-13/1923:53> »
I didn't mean using full Defense in general, I meant as an interrupt. How do you suddenly decide that right now, you're going to start using more effort to avoid, just when you happen to get attacked by something you don't know is there? That just sounds like metagaming.

As for Full Matrix Defense working against  all Matrix Actions,

FULL MATRIX DEFENSE
(interrupt Action)
Marks Required: Owner
Test: none (Firewall action)
This allows you to defend against Attack actions, and
may be taken at any time. Whenever you make a defense
test against a Matrix Action, add your Willpower to the
dice pool (or add it again if it’s already in there). When
you take this action, your Initiative Score is reduced by
10, but the effects last for the rest of the Combat Turn.

First line specifies Attack Actions only, second line uses the more general term Matrix Action. So is the general term correct, or the specific one?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #792 on: <10-16-13/1935:38> »
That's true for the entire book. And yes, it applies against all Matrix actions.

Does that mean (for example) that rider effect of Electricity damage (which includes a -1 penalty to defense tests) applies to any time you're on the other side of an Opposed test?

In any case, should it then be submitted for errata that this is the case?  Because the term "defense test" does not get used in the definition of an opposed test, and in fact doesn't come up at all outside the Magic, Combat, and Matrix chapters.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #793 on: <10-18-13/1426:16> »
Backdoor or fake host accounts
Once a hacker has gained access to a host, is it possible for the hacker to use Edit File or some other matrix action to create any type of
"legitimate" account so that at a later date, the hacker could request a mark from the host without utilizing either Brute Force or Hack on the Fly?
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #794 on: <10-19-13/0417:07> »
This one came up again in a debate, so wondering if there's an official answer now:

When an edged diceroll results in, or is accompanied by, a secondary test, are you unable to edge the second test? Under what circumstances would it count as 'part of the same action'?

For example, if I cast a Spell with Edge, can I edge the Drain Resistance test? When I edge and still roll a critical glitch with Explosive rounds, am I uncapable of edging the resulting damage soak test? If I summon a Sprite/Spirit with the help of Edge, can I then Edge the Fading/Drain test? If I edge a dodge test and fail, can I edge the soak test? If I throw a grenade with Edge and the blast still hits me, can I edge the soak test?

Related: If you multicast, are you allowed to Edge only 1 of the Drain tests?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!