NEWS

Help with making combat more challenging for my group!

• 43 Replies

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #30 on: <07-08-13/1707:58> »
When you start an escalating arms race like is being suggested, be aware that not only are you more likely to kill some of them, if you don't kill all of them, the survivors could possibly loot everything you threw at them and you've just made your job even harder next time, so make sure you put the obvious time pressure as was mentioned on them so they have to keep moving ("you hear the roar of the personnel transport drawing near'). If they stop to do it despite knowing the crunch is coming, spank 'em. If things are as straight-forward easy for them as it sounds though, it really indicates you just need to study the game better, IMO. Learn more of the ins and outs.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #31 on: <07-08-13/1725:44> »
Note that most of my suggestion haven't been "arms race" style, but rather have focused on things like resupply and pacing to provide dramatic tension.

One of SR4s major flaws (in my opinion) is how easy it is for a munch minded player to put themselves into mythic status right out of the gate. A reasonable understanding between player and GM about power level and style out of the gate is the best way to deal with this problem. Fixing it after the PC are no longer in keeping with the universes fluff is always going to be imperfect.

Nal0n

• Newb
« Reply #32 on: <07-08-13/1749:38> »
Or just do the 4 Harlequins! It is ripe with whinin' Immortals but hey, they are Immortals and no one can touch them ... right? ... RIGHT? :p

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #33 on: <07-08-13/1808:03> »
Note that the OP originally asked specifically for ways to make combat more exciting. Although the discussion did kind of morph as they like to do. :)

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <07-08-13/2045:34> »
Note that the OP originally asked specifically for ways to make combat more exciting. Although the discussion did kind of morph as they like to do. :)

Yes..and so far, only one fight has lasted more then 1 round. Even against 20 Halloweeners, that fight only
lasted 2 IP...(Suppressive fire from the HMG, white phosphorous grenades from the Mystic Adept and then
the mage one-shotted the Weener's mage, the Razor boy cut up two gangers, and the "ex" Red Samurai
and the Tecnhoshaman shot up the other gangers, with the Technoshaman pulling out his Sheriff)

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #35 on: <07-08-13/2131:36> »

Yes..and so far, only one fight has lasted more then 1 round. Even against 20 Halloweeners, that fight only
lasted 2 IP...(Suppressive fire from the HMG, white phosphorous grenades from the Mystic Adept and then
the mage one-shotted the Weener's mage, the Razor boy cut up two gangers, and the "ex" Red Samurai
and the Tecnhoshaman shot up the other gangers, with the Technoshaman pulling out his Sheriff)

Hah, Halloweeners are well, wieners. Try some Spikes troll gangers on their harleys. (Definitely must upgrade them as Spikes are meant to be one of the strongest gangs) One of their favorite tactics is just to full out crash into vehicles and people with their enormous amounts of weight. If just a few of them manage to get close to your person or vehicle it's probaly already too late for you. My players managed to avoid this when I used them through the clever use of trip lines and a parking garage, which is where they were when the Spikes came after the squishy weapons dealer the team was guarding. I also had the Spikes send the runners a text message with a link to a youtube type site which displayed a video of the Spikes overturning an armored car with bikes and bodies, as an intimidation tactic.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <07-08-13/2246:54> »
Thanks for that one, GiraffeShaman...I did not know that about the Spikes...and the group has...done some
stuff for people allied with the Ancients..

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #37 on: <07-08-13/2301:36> »
Fight on a cargo ship at sea during a storm...
- large waves require strength tests with modifieres for slippery decks, recoil, how heavily they are encumbered and holding onto things
- but a second roll to grab something (dropping gear though) before washing of deck
- vision mods for heavy storm and waves
- cargo containers break free... look out!
- explosive cargo... wrong shot sets something off and now they ship really is sinking!  where are the life rafts!

Back of a high speed train
- rolls for not fall off when unsecure - eg knock down only requires half body, recoil causes rolls, hand to hand causes rolls.
- but a second roll to hold onto the side of the train at the last minute
- jumping from carriage to carriage
- and tunnels!  can you duck quickly enough to keep your head!
- and what the heck, throw in a helicopter and drones
- oh and the bridge above the canyon that seems to go forever.... hell of a fall! (but it is into a river below, so maybe they survived?)

Caught in the Cross Fire - third world city during a coup/rebellion
- lots of mooks, low level, but so random.
- any resistance attracts more attention.
- more attention equals more mooks, missle launchers and small armoured vehicles..
- and the tank.  Frag!  Where did that Tank / Armoured Walker Type Vehicle come from?

Dance of Death - low-key discrete leathal combat
 - set up - hired to attend a high security high class event and prevent an assassination.
- but not reveal the attempt (ie stop the attack but don't attract attention
- So, no obvious weapons or armour
- and the assassin is a highly skilled adapt... with a partner.
- magic security will detect any 'dangerious' spells, so even magic needs to be used carefully.
- can the runners prevent carnage during a wicked waltz of death without attracting attention?

Chemical factory
- fight on the catwalks... the very fragile catwalks
- above steaming containers of chemical goodness.
- and pipes which seem to explode steam and acid with just a glancing hit from the lowest calbire fire arm

Under the sea
- Acrology under the sea
- glass walls which are not that bullet proof
- walk ways/tunnel/pipes between flooding habitats... but move quick, you may be sealed into the flooded section
- sparking electricals and the occasionally live environment.  Can you jump from ledge to ledge and avoid a shocking death while mid-combat?
- half flooded tunnels... and what do they conceal
- yes, an escaped paracritter!

Sewers
- fighting in darkness (no UV)
- hip deep in gunk... and what it may conceal (heck, even a drone attack)
- tunnels in every direction, lots of cover and flanking opps
- pip[es which may contain sewerage... or gas
- roof climbing ops, with cover provided by the pipes.
- and infection for all those who are wounded!

Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Nobody

• Chummer
  • Nobody was here. Nobody saw you.
« Reply #38 on: <07-09-13/0230:30> »
Sometimes when I run into this, I take another look and realize that I've ignored a modifier table, or letting the characters get away with a sloppy rule interpretation. Other times, though, you've just got a grade A bunch magnificent bastards at your table.

The previous statements about using the setting are exceptional. Might I also suggest that you've missed out on some opportunities to have a point or two of background count? Magic labs/storage facilities, other mages' hideouts, or even just a mana static spell can ruin your adept's day, not to mention snuff out a support spirit or two.

Keep in mind there are plenty of ways to create tension for a character besides going for their damage boxes. Sometimes it requires a lot of this: (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit). It sounds like you know your players and their characters well, and can plan for their responses. As their public awareness rating rises (and it sounds like these fellas make the rounds on the underground trids once in a while), they're bound to catch either the attention or the ire of someone who can do the same. This can lead to a variety of inventive setups that either play to the characters' weaknesses or rely on them leaning on their strengths and thus, also, playing into your hands.

For instance, the Johnson they beat had to work for someone, right? And that guys's a patient sumbitch. He's waited all this time learning about who the group's major supporters are (their friendliest Johnsons/fixers, etc.). Then he arranges for the blackmailing/kidnapping/entrapment/etc. of a close personal contact, to be avoided on on the completion of  mission/missions against their own backers, probably the ones with whom he has the most beef. All while planting breadcrumbs of evidence pointing to his own political/criminal/personal enemy, who's too powerful for him to touch but at whom he's happy to throw his other enemies all day long. If the team kicks the door down on his enemy, he wins (probably killing off their contact just for spite). If they attack their own backers in their usual style (probably blowing their loyalty), he wins. And if they eventually put all the pieces together and finally get to go kick that guy's ass, they'll talk about it forever. And isn't that really why we go through all that work in the first place?

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <07-09-13/0309:39> »
The group has some....interesting people that are interested in them. The direction the game is going is going to have them in GeMiTo as part of the assets against Alamais in the big finale of that arc. I have lots of little things planned, as well..frankly, they
haven't connected the dots yet on who is pulling the strings with their Fixers and Johnsons...(Note..they already had a Fixer
leave town after their spectacular run into the ACHE, to get some data out of an unsecured area, and their killing of the Renraku
Johnson that came after them AFTER the meet...but set them up at the meet, and they didn't even realize it)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #40 on: <07-10-13/1259:54> »
Hate to say it, but sounds like you are running out of options for this group in terms of combat options. The only things l can suggest have already been mentioned but here are a few others.

TACTICS

Don't have the bad guys be static targets, they should be using cover, and covering fire. Area suppression, drones, spirits and and all the other wonderful things. Focus firing works great at taking down Trolls. Sure they shrug off one or two hits. but if a team of 6 open up at said troll each with 2 narrow bursts... that -11 dice to his reaction test! He gonna get hit, and it's gonna start to hurt.

If they are starting to make a big rep in the shadows and someone starts hunting them, be logical about it. The hunters wouldn't try to take out the team while they are all together, but gank them one by one when they are separated. Once you have them on their own, you don't need massive numbers or unrealistic opponents to be a threat, you just need average baddies to do the work.

Take into consideration the setting for the runs. it's pretty damn hard to get an heavy machine gun ANYWHERE in the city, same goes for anything more then an armored jacket for armor. If their usual roll out makes them look like a military assault team, then they should expect a Military response. I don't care how much damage they can put out.... once the ammo is gone, the authorities win. (so enforce ammo tracking! and realistic loads... I don't care if it is a troll, he can not pack around 10,000 rounds of ammo with him!)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Crazy Ivan

• Chummer
« Reply #41 on: <07-14-13/1043:20> »
Whenever I get a combat heavy group in my team, I will do what I call the 'Smoking Aces Run.' And surprisingly enough, it's exactly what it sounds like. The characters are hired to do a high-profile extraction where EVERYONE is looking for Joe McGuffin, and EVERYONE is trying to either hit or extract this guy. Design various monstrosities of characters to lay waste to everything or get this guy (my favorite was 3 ork brothers who roll in with heavy weapons and a combat axe, but I'm just simple like that). If that still doesn't make you feel like they will be challenged, make the PC's the guys protecting this schmoe. Fending off LS/KE, potentially multiple runner teams, and dealing with McGuffins personal nuances (refusing to leave his hotel room, etc. etc.) might be enough to get a good challenge out.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <07-15-13/0902:25> »
Have enemies who know how area-effect spells work and thus a) have a Counterspelling magician doing their thing and b) spread out to avoid getting caught in one radius.  Have them geek the mage first and remember that focus-fire makes sense and going for the hardest target first doesn't.  So they mop up the squishies before going for the troll tank.

On which note, a troll drake mystic adept from a possession tradition often offends ;-)
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <07-15-13/2113:45> »
Have enemies who know how area-effect spells work and thus a) have a Counterspelling magician doing their thing and b) spread out to avoid getting caught in one radius.  Have them geek the mage first and remember that focus-fire makes sense and going for the hardest target first doesn't.  So they mop up the squishies before going for the troll tank.

On which note, a troll drake mystic adept from a possession tradition often offends ;-)

Amusingly: if they go for the troll LAST? They are dead from the HMG or his back up assault rifle or are knocked out by the Gonryu in suppressive fire
with Neurostun grenades...