NEWS

Is any one else slightly annoyed that 5E is coming out AND is crazy expensive?

• 97 Replies

5-0 Deuce

• Newb
« on: <06-29-13/0018:45> »
Maybe this was covered in a previous post. I wouldn't be surprised if I had missed it as I'm a jack point 'nube'...

That said, is there anyone else slightly annoyed that only a few years after 4E coming out they have 5E coming out? And truthfully, its not even just the new edition that's bugging me as much as it is the damn price (59.99 last I knew) and the fact that this means a new round of supplements to also purchase.

I love shadowrun. I'd even venture to say its my all time favorite world for an RPG....but damn man. I gotta drop MORE cred....
Ya got squirrels running all over ya.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-29-13/0036:10> »
I guess it is a matter of perepective. But that does not seem expensive to me for a 480 page hardback rule book. 

r4nd0m

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <06-29-13/0037:49> »
4th edition came out in what... 2005?  8 years isn't that bad for an edition lifecycle.  Even if you count the 4a book, that was four years ago.

Gardensnake

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <06-29-13/0053:24> »
While $59.99 is a bit of a chunk of change to be spending, it is in line with comparable books on the market right now. The new Iron Kingdoms rpg, Edge of the Empire, and all of FFG's core Warhammer roleplaying books are a similar page count and all $59.99. Pathfinder is $49.99 but the Rise of the Runelords book is $59.99. If the production values of the new book are what we've seen from Catalyst in the past (and there is no reason to think they aren't) the book will be worth the $59.99. I'm looking forward to seeing the book myself and think it will make a fine addition to my bookshelf.

William

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #4 on: <06-29-13/0057:15> »
I have to ask.  What were the last few RPG core rulebooks you bought (Main game book, not supplement)?

WHen were they published, how many pages are they, are they hardcover, and are they color?  How much did they cost?

5-6 Years is about the average lifespan of a game edition.  Shadowrun 1 (1989) to 2 (1992) was *3* years.  Shadowrun 2 to 3 (1998) was 6 years.  Shadowrun 3 to 4 (2005) was 7 years, but there was also almost a year that the game was "dead" and in limbo due to FASA closing, and nothing was being released.  Shadowrun 4 had the Anniversary Edition (2009), but that was just a new shiny anniversary publication and not an actual new edition.  So it's been 8 years since Shadowrun 4 was released at this point.

cndblank

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <06-29-13/0126:24> »
Wow has it been that long?

Eight years is a good run.

Daedalus

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <06-29-13/0130:00> »
SR4 had the longest run of any shadowrun edition to date. The Price point seem to be in line with other current systems.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-29-13/0130:19> »
I think the edition is well timed and pretty reasonable. Given that the 5E base book is all you need to play the game 60 seems right on (Pathfinder is 50 new and a few years old, D & D 4s base books will run well over a 100).

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <06-29-13/0134:45> »
Honestly just because I think the supplements were kind of stretching it near the end I'm glad there is a new edition.  I was half expecting a beach volleyball supplement.  Don't get me wrong some had a solid premise like spy games, but it kind of felt like the idea well was running a bit dry.  Being able to redo the basics again allows them more time to fill out another batch of cool new supplements.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <06-29-13/0352:46> »
Given that the 5E base book is all you need to play the game 60 seems right on.
Well one can play, but the fact is that there are 5 or so core supplements coming out that are pretty much essential(magic,matrix,augmentation,gear and companion books) for most tables.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <06-29-13/0416:10> »
Given the size, I'm thinking $60 is quite reasonable - still a lot of money, but fair. I m curious to see what they do for the LE version...suspecting that will be a far heftier hit on the wallet ::)

bannockburn

• Chummer
  • BGMfH
« Reply #11 on: <06-29-13/0419:28> »
Short answer: No.

Longer answer:
1.) 59,99$ isn't 'crazy expensive' for a big book with hardcover and in full color.
2.) I can always buy pdf for a mere 20$.
3.) No one is forcing me to play 5th edition, much less pay for it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
http://bannockburn1981.deviantart.com/

NinthSphere

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <06-29-13/0630:13> »
When I bought Shadowrun 4, I payed $40. When SR4A came out, it was $50. I'm never thrilled to have to lob that kind of money at a book, but it beats the hell out of the $100+ textbooks I have to buy for classes. Yeah, I'm annoyed, but you can bet your ass I'll be throwing whatever it takes at SR5 to get my fix. Stupid games and their stupid fun settings making me spend money.  :P

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <06-29-13/0638:29> »
I collect RPGs. For a 480 page full color book? $60 isn't bad. If they did a LE run, I'd probably buy that, instead. WW has been doing their LE's with Kickstarter. If Catalyst did that, I'd drop money on it.

-Ariketh

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #14 on: <06-29-13/0654:01> »
I collect RPGs. For a 480 page full color book? $60 isn't bad. If they did a LE run, I'd probably buy that, instead. WW has been doing their LE's with Kickstarter. If Catalyst did that, I'd drop money on it.

-Ariketh

Picked up every LE WW has done on kickstarter except there first, the Vampire 20th ed.  They have finished printing any of their special editions and boy do they cost a pretty penny, but metal/leather covers etc.  wow!  worth it.  Wish Shadowrun would give Kickstarter a spin.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P