NEWS

An analysis of Wireless Bonuses in Shadowrun 5th Edition

• 541 Replies

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« on: <06-26-13/0117:54> »
Since I have a copy of the special Origins edition for Shadowrun 5th Edition, I figured I would do a detailed analysis of every item that sported a Wireless Bonus, since not everyone else here has the book.

First off, the definition of Wireless Bonus:
Quote from: Origins Special edition of SR5, page 421
WIRELESS BONUSES

Because nearly every piece of gear and 'ware is wireless capable, it means nearly every piece of gear and cyberware benefits dramatically from being "meshed" into your wireless personal area network and the Matrix as a whole.

When an item has additional functionality when connected to the Matrix, it's described under the "Wireless" entry in the item's description. This functionality only applies when the device has access to the Matrix, which is most of the time unless your gamemaster says otherwise, like if you've entered a wireless static zone. If there is a Noise Rating from a situation that is greater than the item's Device Rating, not including distance, the item temporarily loses it's wireless functionality.

These benefits only apply when the item's wireless mode is on. Your Ares Alpha can't adjust for the wind direction and speed if it can't download the up-to-the-second weather conditions, and your Eurocar Westwind 3000 doesn't know the status of the next three traffic lights if it's not connected to GridGuide. A wireless device is always vulnerable to subversion and control by a hacker within wireless handshake range. You can defend your gear with a good commlink and a personal area network. Even better, defending against threats from the Matrix is part of your team hacker's job. If she's not available, you might occasionally want to turn wireless off.

Basically, to get a Wireless Bonus, the device needs to be connected to the Matrix. That is the only qualifier. Whether the device is being controlled via DNI or manually, by cable or radio, none of that matters. Totally irrelevant. Only the Matrix counts.

That said, I am even more convinced now than I was before, that whoever wrote up the various Wireless Bonuses was operating under the idea that "wireless bonus" meant "connected via radio, possibly to the user's DNI or PAN", rather than "connected to the Matrix". I suspect the first sentence about the PAN in the Wireless Bonus definition contributed to the confusion.

Out of the 68 discrete bonuses listed, 12 just receive speed increases as their Wireless Bonus. 13 obtain additional functionality like "not getting entangled on a glitch" or "change the color of the device". 5 use wireless power to recharge their batteries instead of having to plug them into a power outlet. Most of the remaining bonuses really should be obtainable with a direct data connection between the device and the user - a radio or laser or cable link should be sufficient, I really don't see how routing the signal through the Matrix instead would magically make things "better" for stuff like "set off this detonator".

Most tellingly, only 7 of the 68 Wireless Bonuses have ANYTHING to do with using the resources of the Matrix to provide benefits, like accessing online databases for info and such. Only 3-4 bonuses even bother to give an in-universe explanation for their game mechanic effects - though one of these explanations is "the extra boost from the Matrix" making things possible.

A couple are particularly weird. Normally to save a dying character, a Trauma Patch allows a stabilization test to stop getting worse. Apparently the Matrix heals people, because connecting the patch to the Internet makes the test succeed automatically. Hydraulic Jack cyberimplants seem to make you jump better if you turn on their Facebook feed.

Personally, I am just going to do away with the idea of Wireless Bonuses, as presented in SR5, for my home games. Some stuff will get a speed bonus for being DNI-controlled. Other stuff will just have their bonuses folded into their normal operation - plenty of it will still be vulnerable to hackers, since much of it will be routed via wireless and the Matrix due to it being a pain in the ass to run cables everywhere.

Full list of Wireless Bonuses below:
[spoiler]
THE GRAND LIST OF WIRELESS BONUSES

- Melee Weapons

Forearm Snap-Blades: Free Action to activate instead of Simple Action.

Survival Knife: AR-display GPS functions, can be used to make comm-calls.

Extendable Baton: Free Action to activate instead of Simple Action.

Stun Baton: Slowly recharge via induction.

Telescoping Staff: Free Action to activate instead of Simple Action.

Monofilament Whip: Free Action to activate instead of Simple Action, retract instead of entangling on a glitch, +2 Accuracy

Shock Gloves: Slowly recharge via induction.

- Projectile/Throwing Weapons

No wireless bonuses!

- Firearms

Defiance EX Shocker: Successful hit transmits target's health status.

Yamaha Pulsar: Successful hit transmits target's health status.

Fichetti Tiffani Needler: Change color of gun as a Simple Action. (Apparantly you can't change the color without it)

Fichetti Pain Inducer: Slowly recharge via induction.

Parashield Dart Pistol & Rifle: Dart reports back to shooter about successful injection, and some basic medical info of target.

Ares Antioch-2, ArmTech MGL-12, Aztechnology Striker, Onotari Interceptor: Use Wireless Link trigger even without DNI.

- Firearm Accesories

Airburst Link: Must have Wireless mode on to function at all.

Bipod/Tripod: Free Action to activate/stow instead of Simple/Complex Action.

Concealable Holster: Alter pattern and color in real time improving concealability.

Gyro-Mount: Free Action to Quick Release instead of a Complex Action.

Hidden Arm Slide: Free Action to ready weapon.

Imaging Scope: Share camera feed with teammates.

Laser Sight: +1 DP bonus in addition to the normal Accuracy bonus

Periscope: Reduce the DP penalty for shooting around corners to -2 (Which the periscope ALREADY DOES)

Silencer/Suppressor: Built in microphone can detect if someone reacts to the sound of the silenced weapon. (Wait, why does this need Matrix?)

Smart Firing Platform: Control platform remotely.

Smartgun System: DP bonus in addition to the normal Accuracy bonus.

- Ammunition

No Wireless Enabled gear

- Grenades, Rockets, and Missiles

Grenades: Use Wireless Link trigger even without DNI.

Flash-Pak: Pak avoids directing flashes at subscribed characters, reducing penalty for those characters.

Rockets & Missiles: Use Wireless Link trigger even without DNI.

- Explosives

Detonator Cap: Set detonator's timer with a Simple Action, or detonate immediately as a Free Action.

- Clothing and Armor

Electrochromic Clothing:  Free Action to alter color instead of Simple Action.

Chemical Seal: Free Action to activate instead of Complex Action.

Thermal Damping: Additional data from surroundings adds a DP bonus to Sneaking.

Riot Shield: Slowly recharge via induction.

- Commlinks / Cyberdecks / Electronics Accessories

No wireless bonuses!

- RFIDs

Sensor Tags: Monitor sensor feed in real time

- Communications & Countermeasures

Bug Scanner: Substitute device rating for Electronic Warfare skill.

Data Tap: Self destruct remotely as Free Action.

Jammer: Set jammer to not affect specific targets

Micro-tranceiver: Range becomes 'worldwide'.

Tag Eraser: Slowly recharge via induction.

White Noise Generator: Triple effective radius of effect. (Buh?)

- Software, Skillsofts, IDs, Credit, and Tools

No wireless bonuses!

- Optical, Audio & other Sensors

Vision Enhancement: DP bonus in addition to the Limit bonus on Perception visual skill tests.

Spacial Recognizer: DP bonus in addition to the Limit bonus on Perception audible skill tests.

- Security Devices, B&E Gear

Autopicker: DP bonus in addition to the Limit bonus to pick a lock, due to accessing online database of locks.

Maglock Passkey: +1 bonus to rating.

Sequencer: +1 bonus to rating.

- Chemicals

Thermite Burning Bar: Ignite bar remotely. (Buh?)

- Survival Gear

Gas Mask: Mask analyses air around you.

Gecko Gloves: Shut off stickiness wirelessly.

Hazmat Suit: Suit analyses environment around you.

- Biotech

Medkit: DP bonus in addition to the Limit bonus on First Aid skill tests, or can operate by itself at ratingx2 DP.

Trauma Patch: Patient stabilizes automatically instead of having to make a test. (Seriously? The Matrix Heals!)

- Cyberware

Datajack: Adds Rating 1 Noise Reduction

Skilljack: "The extra boost from the Matrix" increases the total max combined Skillsoft ratings from Ratingx2 to Ratingx3

Fingertip Compartment: Accessing compartment is a Simple Action rather than Complex. (SERIOUSLY?!)

Internal Air Tank: Activating/Deactivating tank is Free instead of Simple, tank reports current air level.

Reaction Enhancers: Allows stacking with Wired Reflexes.

Skillwires: +1 Limit to skillsoft tests due to expanded memory cache.

Smuggling Compartment, small & large: Accessing compartment is a Simple Action rather than Complex.

Wired Reflexes: Allows stacking with Reaction Enhancers.

Cyberarm Gyromount: Free Action to activate instead of Simple Action.

Cyber Holster: Free Action to ready weapon instead of Simple Action.

Hydraulic Jacks: +1 DP bonus in addition to Limit bonus. (WHY?)

- Bioware

No wireless bonuses!

- Vehicles

No wireless bonuses![/spoiler]

-k

« Last Edit: <06-26-13/0144:10> by KarmaInferno »

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-26-13/0136:54> »
Most tellingly, only 7 of the 68 Wireless Bonuses have ANYTHING to do with using the resources of the Matrix to provide benefits, like accessing online databases for info and such.

And which 7 are you saying this is?  Because I'm pretty sure I'll be able to add to that list.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #2 on: <06-26-13/0139:56> »
Most tellingly, only 7 of the 68 Wireless Bonuses have ANYTHING to do with using the resources of the Matrix to provide benefits, like accessing online databases for info and such.

And which 7 are you saying this is?  Because I'm pretty sure I'll be able to add to that list.

I'll enumerate in the morning, as I'm a little burned out right now, but I was counting stuff that HAD to have an actual Matrix connection to work, as opposed to just a wireless link from device to user.

-k

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-26-13/0143:09> »
I know - but I have a feeling that some people's ideas of "what uses the resources of the new new Matrix to work" is going to differ.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Icy

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <06-26-13/0355:42> »
This is madness...
I like the Fingertip Compartment, the Trauma Patch and the Laser Sight the best.

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <06-26-13/0504:39> »
The "recharge via induction" is  :-X :-X (to remain polite)
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

Automaton

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <06-26-13/0507:18> »
I know - but I have a feeling that some people's ideas of "what uses the resources of the new new Matrix to work" is going to differ.

I have to agree, Allready I see a difference of interpretation and opinion in what can and cannot benefit from the matrix, in the list you displayed.
Clearly the creator of these rules had his own set of ideas about which things can benefit from the matrix and how.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-26-13/0515:23> »
I've got a count at about 21 of stuff I could make the distributed computing argument for.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <06-26-13/0523:58> »
I've got a count at about 21 of stuff I could make the distributed computing argument for.

You can share your list and arguments, we will get ~15 interesting posts  :D before a few people start looping the same arguments again and again  >:(
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <06-26-13/0525:18> »
And five before the shouting match begins. ^_^' Let's leave this to Inferno and RHat first.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <06-26-13/0533:54> »

You can share your list and arguments, we will get ~15 interesting posts  :D before a few people start looping the same arguments again and again  >:(

I'd like to get a baseline first so I can get some idea where the difference in opinion stems from.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Backgammon

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <06-26-13/0727:02> »
Basically, to get a Wireless Bonus, the device needs to be connected to the Matrix. That is the only qualifier. Whether the device is being controlled via DNI or manually, by cable or radio, none of that matters. Totally irrelevant. Only the Matrix counts.

That said, I am even more convinced now than I was before, that whoever wrote up the various Wireless Bonuses was operating under the idea that "wireless bonus" meant "connected via radio, possibly to the user's DNI or PAN", rather than "connected to the Matrix". I suspect the first sentence about the PAN in the Wireless Bonus definition contributed to the confusion.

I see it sort of that way too... so long as it can communicate to other devices (and thats left abstract), it can do its job better. Sometimes that means local devices, from your PAN, so we're not talking Matrix-wide. Sometimes that means full Matrix, sure. However, I see SR's technology as not really making a distinction between the two anymore. All communication is part of the Matrix. If it's just talking to your local PAN instead of taking a jog around the worlk to the Matrix, that is still Matrix - just, smaller scope. But it's the same communication protocol. The analogy would be that, in the future, you don't have a cable TV signal and the internet, and the two are completely different formats. You just have IPv6 packaging EVERYTHING. That means it's hackable, yes. But obviously, manufacturers enjoy the simplicity of a single communication protocol across all things too much, so that's how it is. But no, I don't see all things making round-trip communications through the global Matrix all the time. Some do, some don't.

Personally, I am just going to do away with the idea of Wireless Bonuses, as presented in SR5, for my home games. Some stuff will get a speed bonus for being DNI-controlled. Other stuff will just have their bonuses folded into their normal operation - plenty of it will still be vulnerable to hackers, since much of it will be routed via wireless and the Matrix due to it being a pain in the ass to run cables everywhere.

I fully support your ability to do this. Something that seems to have been lost in the last decade is the idea that a PnP game is superior to a video game because you can adjust it to your liking.
My Shadowrun Pinterest collections: Landscape and Characters
My Shadowrun works

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <06-26-13/0809:29> »
The vast majority of these indeed sound like they should work simply by being connected to your DNI/PAN (although if the connection isn't wired, they could still be Spoofed or even hacked, I guess). To me, the ones that truly justify a need for a Matrix connection are:
  • Survival Knife
  • Smartgun Systems (but only beyond certain ranges, like beyond 100 meters)
  • Grenades, Rockets and Missiles (only if you're not within handshake range, though)
  • Detonator Caps and Thermite Burning Bars (again, only if you're not within handshake range)
  • Sensor Tags
  • Data Taps
  • Jammers (again, only if you're not within handshake range, and you should be able to preset some exceptions regardless)
  • Micro-transceivers
  • Autopickers (but can't you just buy a Datasoft instead?)

I'm definitely of the opinion that they decided to use a stick and claim it's a carrot, here.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #13 on: <06-26-13/0823:17> »
Flashpacks sound nice, btw. And imaging scopes clearly need a communication channel with teammates. But those two are both things that involve communication between separated elements as obvious part of the functionality.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

quindraco

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <06-26-13/1015:44> »
Thanks, OP.  Hugely helpful.  :)

It looks like it's fairly easy to classify bonuses into legitimately needing Matrix access (e.g. being able to make phone calls), merely PAN access with Matrix access helpful for improving range (devices activating remotely), and nonsensical bonuses (inductive recharging, unless I missed some explanatory detail).  It also looks like a number of opportunities were dropped to make generic Matrix bonuses available - for example, that ability for weapons to give a data dump on stuff they hit seems really useful and more than tempting enough that a lot of users will turn on their Matrix antenna in combat, done right.  I would absolutely make myself vulnerable to hackers in exchange for my bullets doing stuff like telling me "I just landed inside a male Troll with Body 10, Essence 2.3, and tapeworms.  Here's a DNA dump for forensic analysis, as well as a blood panel.  I have timestamped this message so you can approximate my distance from you.  3 other bullets matching your subscription data are in this organism."