NEWS

SR5 matrix / online bonus and the wifi inhibitating building or deserted area

• 186 Replies

Boomstick

• Chummer
  • Jack of all trades
« Reply #105 on: <06-22-13/1050:49> »
Which is relevant.

I think that slaves being unhackable is also completely contrary to the possibility of spoofing signals. If you can spoof the link Id, why not being able to do so for communicating with slaves. Just make the thing harder as it has to be first decrypted (likely) and then spoofed and so on.
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally."
Oscar Wilde

Great Dragon: "Oh, look, he has a grenade belt. I guess it is time to retire quickly".
The more it changes, the more it is not the same  any more...:P

phydaux42

• Chummer
« Reply #106 on: <06-22-13/1106:53> »
I'm not even going to bother trying to explain how it works to my new group of Shadowruners. I'm just going to tell them "Shadowrun is a 3D universe - Physical, Magical, Matrix.  All PCs have to exist in all three worlds, to some extent.  If you want the extra bonuses then you have to make yourself vulnerable.  If you don't want to be vulnerable then you don't get extra bonuses."

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #107 on: <06-22-13/1111:18> »
Which is relevant.

I think that slaves being unhackable is also completely contrary to the possibility of spoofing signals. If you can spoof the link Id, why not being able to do so for communicating with slaves. Just make the thing harder as it has to be first decrypted (likely) and then spoofed and so on.

The only hacking is probably from the matrix, and its only connection to the matrix is through the deck. Not totally logical but hey very little of this we are focring wireless to crap on street sams who actually are the archetype that needed the most help not the biggest hurt makes sense. 

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #108 on: <06-22-13/1656:49> »
Are there going to be rules covering these in the future? Because right now, a rigger can't use his drones in the desert, at least not wirelessly, which is a bit (lot) silly.

Is this real or is it misinterpretation?

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #109 on: <06-22-13/1703:13> »
Are there going to be rules covering these in the future? Because right now, a rigger can't use his drones in the desert, at least not wirelessly, which is a bit (lot) silly.

Is this real or is it misinterpretation?

I would imagine a satellite uplink would alleviate that problem. At least I hope it would.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #110 on: <06-22-13/1706:21> »
I seem to remember something about how dead zones weren't supposed to exist in SR5's Matrix - something involving sat coverage.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Boomstick

• Chummer
  • Jack of all trades
« Reply #111 on: <06-22-13/2214:02> »
This very smart message http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=11302.msg210297#msg210297
and the followings, made me wonder about one thing:

can you configure your devices so they don't share their processing power, in order to be 100% available for you all the time?
I know that would somehow defeat the purpose. But it would not necessarily be easy to do. I guess that deckers would rather not have their decks share their power because they have a lot when it is inactive,and when it is, well, it is for handling big tasks.
Other problem would be your device helping to nail you (even if it won't make a difference in game terms, I think a few characters would consider that "annoying")
Oscar Wilde

Great Dragon: "Oh, look, he has a grenade belt. I guess it is time to retire quickly".

Aaron

« Reply #112 on: <06-23-13/0112:14> »
Your devices are 100% available to you at all times. I'm not sure why they wouldn't be. If you're worried about the whole distributed computing thing taking functionality, the distributed bit would only take idle cycles, the stuff you're not using anyway.

I'm also not sure why a rigger wouldn't be able to use his drones in a desert. Static zones are slower due to there being fewer devices to pass data and therefore less bandwidth, but nothing completely cuts off Matrix access. Except maybe Faraday cages.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #113 on: <06-23-13/0136:00> »
Additionally Desert Wars Merc units would need to develop new strategies, if drones no longer worked in such environments.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #114 on: <06-23-13/0317:13> »
yup. thats why I asked for confirmation. Such step would be quite incompatible with universe IMO...

Boomstick

• Chummer
  • Jack of all trades
« Reply #115 on: <06-23-13/0742:57> »
Thanks

Your devices are 100% available to you at all times. I'm not sure why they wouldn't be. If you're worried about the whole distributed computing thing taking functionality, the distributed bit would only take idle cycles, the stuff you're not using anyway.
Make sense. But had to be sure.

I'm also not sure why a rigger wouldn't be able to use his drones in a desert. Static zones are slower due to there being fewer devices to pass data and therefore less bandwidth, but nothing completely cuts off Matrix access. Except maybe Faraday cages.
There is still the problem of area like research facility and so on, where corps or gov could cut access from the Matrix on the surrounding zone by cutting the relays (or making them unusable unless you have this nice authentication program and this chip embarked -allegedly could be spoofed-).
Or when you go underground (you could be underground, using your drone as a scout, but if you must go through matrix, you will need a long long roll of optic fiber;))
If you really depend on Matrix for this, it makes thing strange, even more if you need a special control console to pilot drones (in previous ed, it was the emitter, drones were receiver, period). I think that making riggers needing to go through Matrix make more complication for everyone. And as it was related to the fact that it is impossible to hack slaves without hacking the PAN, then it destroy an interesting possibility for the hacker, which is against all the things you set up for making them more useful.
I understand the need to have some defense against them, but it could simply a high difficulty for spoofing slaves due to the hardness of the protocols.
« Last Edit: <06-23-13/0745:05> by Boomstick »
Oscar Wilde

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #116 on: <06-23-13/1112:00> »
Corp facilities in Boomsticks world. :)  I am not sure I disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WlCdiU9IzA

Boomstick

• Chummer
  • Jack of all trades
« Reply #117 on: <06-23-13/1153:06> »
 ;D
Not saying that you will get this in the mall  of the SCIRE (sorry, bad example)
of the local corp, with a total handle on communications.
But I guess that when it comes to sensitive area like the everett air force field (don't remember exactly the name), or Area 51 or MCT 0 zones, and so on, they would be picky on who communicate with the outside.
And if you try the old "lets go through the sewer, since there will be no wifi inside, apart of what you could bring with you, it's gonna be funny playing with wires (because, at least for once, wires are not the best solution;))
Oscar Wilde

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #118 on: <06-23-13/1731:42> »
the everett air force field (don't remember exactly the name)
There is no air force base in Everett. There is the Everett Naval Station, home port to the USS Colin Powell air carrier, while the McChord Air Force Base is in Fort Lewis district, south of Seattle.

Boomstick

• Chummer
  • Jack of all trades
« Reply #119 on: <06-23-13/1738:45> »
Voilŕ! ;) Thank you a lot, Sir:)
Oscar Wilde