NEWS

A quick shout out to the SR5 Matrix rules

• 198 Replies

Sipowitz

• Omae
  • Smile for the camera
« Reply #105 on: <06-20-13/1031:34> »
I thought the whole thing about going Decker was having to shove the cord into whatever you were trying to hack?

StarManta

• Omae
« Reply #106 on: <06-20-13/1402:14> »
Not necessarily. Due to technomancers, a lot of corps have made their networks hardwire-only, but not all. And most runner gear is wireless.

White_Ghost

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #107 on: <06-20-13/1423:31> »
Being a Decker is having some Drek hot gear, and the balls and knowhow to use it correctly without turning your brains into mashed potatoes.

Wired or wireless, that's what it's about.

Tech will change, but Deckers will always be the ones on the edge of it looking into the abyss.

Tagz

• Omae
« Reply #108 on: <06-20-13/2044:53> »
How about detecting devices?  I never thought that SR4 was all that clear in just what a hacker finds and how much they know when they do a scan.

So for example, lets say a ganger goon is dumb enough to have a grenade in his backpack with the wireless on.  How does a hacker even know it's there to hack?

Also, worrying about enemy hackers doesn't seem to me like it should be as big a worry as many make it out to be.  The setting basically provided an excuse for all the script kiddies disappearing, the need for security spiders decreasing thanks to GOD taking the role, and the cost of buying/building a deck.  Running into a Decker or TM (who actually decides to learn to hack systems and not just use the matrix as a normal person) shouldn't be nearly so common anymore.  Sounds like commlinks with higher device ratings should be able to handle the Deckers and TMs from groups like gangs, small companies, low level security, etc.  And if you're running into a group that has cause for a higher level hacker, then you should be on a level of gear, karma, and preparation to deal with them, unless there has been some very bad decision making happening in your team.  Course, I'm basing this entirely off what I've read in these discussions since I haven't gotten my hands on the book yet.

jamesfirecat

• Chummer
« Reply #109 on: <06-20-13/2316:29> »
How about detecting devices?  I never thought that SR4 was all that clear in just what a hacker finds and how much they know when they do a scan.

So for example, lets say a ganger goon is dumb enough to have a grenade in his backpack with the wireless on.  How does a hacker even know it's there to hack?

Also, worrying about enemy hackers doesn't seem to me like it should be as big a worry as many make it out to be.  The setting basically provided an excuse for all the script kiddies disappearing, the need for security spiders decreasing thanks to GOD taking the role, and the cost of buying/building a deck.  Running into a Decker or TM (who actually decides to learn to hack systems and not just use the matrix as a normal person) shouldn't be nearly so common anymore.  Sounds like commlinks with higher device ratings should be able to handle the Deckers and TMs from groups like gangs, small companies, low level security, etc.  And if you're running into a group that has cause for a higher level hacker, then you should be on a level of gear, karma, and preparation to deal with them, unless there has been some very bad decision making happening in your team.  Course, I'm basing this entirely off what I've read in these discussions since I haven't gotten my hands on the book yet.

Most script kiddies were actually horribly murdered by IC and or the GOD version of Red Samuri when the new Internet came out.  It actually got so bad that there were actual Wrongful Death Lawsuits which lead to having IC be turned on as no longer the default option.

I have no idea who sued who (one theory in my group is a corporation suing another) but it must have been bad if the issue had to be resolved with lawyers instead of shadowrunners.

Also  if you want to have fun with a Johnson you do not like in the new sixth world, send them an email with an attached file on how the run went in detail but do not give them marks to open the file.  If they try to read the file GOD will come down on them like a ton of bricks sooner or later.
« Last Edit: <06-20-13/2328:44> by jamesfirecat »

Parker

• Omae
  • Remember, can't spell damage without mage!
« Reply #110 on: <06-20-13/2318:42> »
  Enjoyed the preview...just glad that the whining from the dice-aholics and mini-maxers have cleared up to more relevent matters. :)
I'm not Mad...insane a bit...but not mmmaaaddd!
(insane giggle as lightning flashes and thunder rolls.)

Razhul

• Omae
« Reply #111 on: <06-20-13/2322:58> »

I am wondering this also. SR4 specifically said that you cannot correlate matrix icon location to real world locations. In SR5 that must be gone, yes? Do I just get a AR overview of all the wireless nodes in a shop then, exactly where they are?

jamesfirecat

• Chummer
« Reply #112 on: <06-20-13/2325:37> »
  Enjoyed the preview...just glad that the whining from the dice-aholics and mini-maxers have cleared up to more relevent matters. :)

Thank you, we do form a vital part of the shadowrun ecosystem!

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #113 on: <06-20-13/2334:52> »

It's that in the "New More Secure Matrix", somehow one has to completely ignore all security concerns in order to get what should be the basic functionality of their gear.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #114 on: <06-21-13/0124:15> »
Most script kiddies were actually horribly murdered by IC and or the GOD version of Red Samuri when the new Internet came out.  It actually got so bad that there were actual Wrongful Death Lawsuits which lead to having IC be turned on as no longer the default option.

I have no idea who sued who (one theory in my group is a corporation suing another) but it must have been bad if the issue had to be resolved with lawyers instead of shadowrunners.

Is that actually in the book?

Please tell me that is REALLY in the book!

Dragonslayer

• Chummer
« Reply #115 on: <06-21-13/0249:44> »
I have a question. Why in the frak would I have my Wired Reflexes slaved to a deck? Why have it wireless at all? It's DNI, not something that should benefit from a Matrix connection.

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #116 on: <06-21-13/0650:10> »
Actually, we might see more security spiders. Perhaps even lots of cheap low skilled ones. They'll function like the security guards in meatspace who try to delay you until the cops get there. They'll be trying to delay you from completing your goals before GOD arrives. They'll be doing the cyberspace of equivalent of spraying barrier foam, locking doors, dropping smoke grenades, and just generally distracting and annoying the decker.

Maybe it's a new line of work for the script kiddies. Decker distraction dummies.

Automaton

• Chummer
« Reply #117 on: <06-21-13/0738:56> »
Wont the spiders need 100k decks too?....

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #118 on: <06-21-13/0747:57> »
Wont the spiders need 100k decks too?....
Can't rightly say, since this is just speculation. Depends on how decker versus decker combat works. It may be that IC serves the "delay the decker' function. Matrix architecture will probaly play a role too. Imagine the pain in the ass of finding a teleporting SAN with GOD breathing down your neck.

Aaron

« Reply #119 on: <06-21-13/0756:07> »
I have a question. Why in the frak would I have my Wired Reflexes slaved to a deck? Why have it wireless at all? It's DNI, not something that should benefit from a Matrix connection.

No real need to activate the wireless aspect of your wired reflexes except in really high-performance situations where the extra computational power (which is what your equipment gains from a Matrix connection) is useful. That goes for most cyberware, actually.