That don't have to fallow the rule:
Use the Longarms skill when firing precision sniper rifles. While sturdier
than earlier models, sniper rifles in 2072 are still not designed
for close-up combat. At the end of every Turn in which the rifle is
used in a running firefight (as opposed to a sniping situation), roll an
Edge Test. For every Edge Test failed, the weapon incurs a –1 dice
pool modifier until it is recalibrated with an Armorer + Logic (8, 1
Minute) Extended Test. The modifier is doubled if the weapon is used
in combat as a melee weapon or to defend from a melee attack.
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-03-13/1115:26> »
None.  The 2100 is the sole exception to that rule.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #2 on: <06-03-13/1312:56> »
You would think that they would give a option you could put on the rifle to make it like the WA 2100

Or at least put other rifles in there like that.
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <06-03-13/1313:54> »
Nah, it's a nice aspect of the Walther: Poorest damage, but can be used in a running firefight.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <06-03-13/1534:57> »
Well, you can use Sport Rifles, Assault Rifles, or (if your GM allows them) Battle Rifles. They don't have quite the range, but the comparison is fairly good and they're not as sensitive.

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <06-03-13/1852:00> »
Sport rifles. A couple mods and APDS rounds....  you'll never know the difference. Plus you can run around screaming WOLVERINES!!!! A La Patrick Swayze.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #6 on: <06-05-13/1345:13> »
Sadly, sniper rifles are a delicate, finely crafted and engineered piece of equipment... They are not meant for combat activity on the same level as an assault rifle, or even a sport rifle!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #7 on: <06-05-13/2251:22> »
Which is why Designated Marksman's Rifles were designed and produced.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <06-06-13/0632:41> »
Which generally don't operate at the same range as sniper rifle. From my understanding they are more like battle rifles with a good set of optics on them in SR terms.
Why do players always want to have their cake and eat it too? Right tool for the right job I always say.  ;)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #9 on: <06-06-13/1255:02> »
Which generally don't operate at the same range as sniper rifle. From my understanding they are more like battle rifles with a good set of optics on them in SR terms.
Why do players always want to have their cake and eat it too? Right tool for the right job I always say.  ;)
So do I.

But I was commenting on the durability of DMRs rather than their being used as sniper rifles.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <06-06-13/1358:02> »
Personally, for a character that specializes in extremely long-ranged combat, a good sniper rifle is without a doubt the best tool for the job.  Even if they have to run and gun, the -1 isn't too bad of a penalty, and if the rifle is modded enough it will be just as deadly at 5 meters as it is at 1000.
I used to give my dedicated sniper a shotgun as a backup weapon, but I found on the rare case she needed to work at close ranges the sniper rifle was still better.  There are very few things it isn't at least adequate for, except concealed carry.

And the mental image of a gnome carrying a Barrett on a run-and-gun scenario is just too awesome.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #11 on: <06-06-13/1800:16> »
Have the gnome modify it with a pogo stick attachment.

I thought the Desert Strike would follow that rule too, but I was wrong. You'd think a sniper system made for harsh conditions would be durable to jostling as well.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <06-06-13/1817:31> »

I thought the Desert Strike would follow that rule too, but I was wrong. You'd think a sniper system made for harsh conditions would be durable to jostling as well.

I think it has a lot to do with balancing. 1.5 km range (albiet actually using that range is a rare occurance) pretty much means that a sniper could take out 2 people a IP, or heavily hurt them for a few rounds before the sniper is in range of the target's weapons.

Even magic at that range may be difficult if they are trying to search for the sniper. Although my team just houserules it at a -3 dicepool for in combat situations since its easier to track.
Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #13 on: <06-06-13/1824:19> »

Well, your talking about 2 different things :p

The durability of the desert strike is environmental, meaning it can handle the sand and dust of the desert and still put rounds on target without fear of jamming.

Considering the ranges most snipers fire from 600-1500m, even firing at the wrong throb of their heart can cause them to miss! Add in environmental factors such as wind speed, difference in elevation to target, bullet arc for the caliber of round, humidity, cloud cover, etc. And you start to see snipers and their spotters as scientists and less as grunts.

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <06-06-13/1828:07> »

Well, your talking about 2 different things :p

The durability of the desert strike is environmental, meaning it can handle the sand and dust of the desert and still put rounds on target without fear of jamming.

Considering the ranges most snipers fire from 600-1500m, even firing at the wrong throb of their heart can cause them to miss! Add in environmental factors such as wind speed, difference in elevation to target, bullet arc for the caliber of round, humidity, cloud cover, etc. And you start to see snipers and their spotters as scientists and less as grunts.

In real life yes. I got to work the comm for some force recon snipers in the Marines and got to talk to them a lot. Its amazing how much math they end up doing in their heads.
Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."