NEWS

Dawn of Artifacts: Dusk (Experiences, Discussions, Tips & Tricks)

• 8 Replies

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« on: <09-05-10/0659:31> »
First of all I am not finished with my campaign, but there are many little things be reconsidered or worked out to get a nice and smooth adventure out of this book.

Feel free to add your opinion and thoughts or personal experiences with the adventure campaign!

HOW TO START?
I read the campaign, twice and the Lagos chapter from Feral Cities... Now after last time I'm smarter and I can only propose, to do the first part of the Adventure, at the End of the gaming session after the last Adventure. Because after the meeting with the Mrs. J. the PC will check out more information and so on, a time consuming act. In that way you can make the break after meet and agreed, and give the information about Lagos to your players as homework.
Btw: There is a really good 3-episode series documentation about Lagos (today) from the BBC called: "Welcom to Lagos". I watched it with my players (a little bit later) but all agreed that this Documentation changed their view at the city and the people living there. And the places are more familiar...
Here is the Theme Song: Ayamma - The Anambra Beats It is a good introduction for Lagos, if you use music in your play. ;)

WHERE ARE THE PROBLEMS?
A.) Mary Sue = Jane or Frosty (her behavior is not not quite kosher, it is like she temporary forgets what she is and can do...)
B.) To many, background counts or Domains (even in a side-quest is i.e. a toxic domain Rating 5, within a ghoul pack (that should be dead or toxic as well) led by a toxic Reaper shaman and backed by two Force-5 Harbinger Toxic spirits)

Greetings
UV

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <09-05-10/1209:05> »
Thanks for those info, I have the book but didn't have time to read it, I'll take what you wrote in consideration.
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516

Archivist

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-08-10/2206:31> »
Thanks for the tips.  I just ordered this to check out for my new campaign.  (although I am not sure how I feel about another "immortal uber characters you will never approach in power are up to yet another chess game", but perhaps I can pillage it for a run.

Let us know of any other problem areas you ran into.

Faradon

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-10-10/1151:32> »
I've been doing a lot of prep work on this and now that the 3rd one is available I'll finally be pushing some PC's through the first one.

I really thought the 'how to start' was pretty straightforward.  I have my own hooks I'll be using for my personal campaign to get them in, see the J, and on their way, but all in all it isn't much different than any other run :) 

For A) I don't see the personality / playstyle of Jane as a problem at all.  She is intentionally trying to NOT let the party know who she is / what she is capable of... and it isn't until the scene Where the ghouls overwhelm the party where she finally decides the facade has gone on long enough... though several hints are dropped earlier.

For B) I agree that based on the experience and composition of the PC party this encounter can be a little crazy / out of control... luckily the encounter you are referring to is a suggested encounter for pushing the envelope and not really a very well flushed out encounter.  This one is more to add something extra for those trigger happy PC's or for PC's who just don't get how important it is to use Bribery, which is considered standard practice in Lagos

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #4 on: <12-30-10/0510:13> »
The first problem with Jane is her behavior on the "Go shopping" When she sparked a firefight with the bad guys who were taking some bus passengers into slavery or whatever...
When Jane steps out of the vehicle and pull out the gun..and point it to one of those guys...team had eliminated whole threat (doing bodyguard job means this for my players) and tell Jane that she is really fucking crazy and that she should behave like a pro or they would keep her tied in her hotel room...

which had been pretty funny...because they let her to deal with the guy she was pointing at and he dodged her bullet and make her a scratch (despites I used armor spell for Jane, full auto burst from 5 meters is not easy to dodge and the dices just rolled like that...Janes got a glitch for dodge)

So as it is written in the adventure..that this scene is meant to players develop some relationship with Jane...it worked exactly so  8)

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <12-30-10/1940:25> »
This scene went differently with my group, but we ended up with a similar opinion.

So here we are, a group of westerners driving around Lagos with a white Land Rover (we considered that since we weren't going to like locals anyway, looking like a team of CIA or corporate agents, if not discreet, was the safest way to go). The traffic stops, and we see the slaves or whatever taking the children and shooting the one trying to escape. Jane says something like "we must do something" and open her door. The runner sat next to her tries to grab her arm, only slowing her down for a second. So my character bursts out of the passenger front seat, standing between her and the slavers, and lectures her about life in Africa, security procedures, letting us doing what we're paid for, and so on.
The slavers notice and two comes our way. The first orders me "to get my bitch back in the car". Jane looks at him, his head explodes. The next moment, I have half a dozen of AK bullets sprayed in the back of my vest.

No matter if she dealt with the rest of the slavers almost alone. From that point, the entire team considered her as liability, that is going to get us killed at some point.

Nexushound

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <02-03-11/2303:39> »
Oi Chums,

The players in my game reacted exactly like they did in Naths' experience. Fortunatley the hacker and rigger were not physically present, off doing recon and trying to establish matrix connections, so only part of the team actually saw Jane freak out on the slavers. The Teams Face was pissed about it and told her to "Act like a professional!" It did not make Jane any friends.

The background count is awesome IMO. We have a possesion mage who has initiated to Grade 1. He is powerfull but even the Rating 1 B.G.C. in most areas of the city really make him think twice before slinging that Powerball. Now we head into Surulere and he is crapping his FFBA!!
Matrix Access ID Spoofed
Encryption Keys Generated
Login
Enter Passcode
Biometric Scan Confirmed

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #7 on: <02-15-11/2207:25> »
The background count is awesome IMO. We have a possesion mage who has initiated to Grade 1. He is powerfull but even the Rating 1 B.G.C. in most areas of the city really make him think twice before slinging that Powerball. Now we head into Surulere and he is crapping his FFBA!!
Maybe I've missed a sourcebook somewhere... what is a 'possession mage'?

My current Free Spirit PC is hunting down the Metamagic techniques of Cleansing and Filtering so that minor background counts stop becoming such an issue.

Currently, a count of 1 is constricting, 2 takes him to nerf-zone, and 3+ causes him to apologise to the team and leave the area...
When Filtering comes online, hit will basically be level 3 Damage Compensation on Background counts (1,2,3 all go to zero, 4 goes to 1 etc)...

but that's a lot of Karma away from implementation..... :'(
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #8 on: <02-16-11/0329:02> »
I think he had Possession tradition on mind, like Woodoo or something...