NEWS

TM AR?

• 11 Replies

Wildcard

• Omae
  • Hex.tall was here.
« on: <03-28-13/1635:57> »
Think I've been doing this wrong. Naked, `wareless Technomancer steps into the shower. Can he watch the AR trid on the shower wall?

I always assumed he could, but can't seem to find that rule anywhere.
I was permanently banned from the forums for consistently attacking my fellow posters and trolling the boards. I thought I could get "revenge" on FastJack for being banned by updating my sig to insult him, but all it proved was how much of an idiot I am.

StarManta

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-28-13/1802:33> »
I'm not sure where it is in the rules, but yes, he can. TMs can always access AR.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <03-28-13/1830:55> »
Yes, a TM can always access AR without an image link, as their brain is the equivalent of an implanted SIM module in hot sim. Likewise, anyone using a DNI on their commlink is able to view AR without an image link. Image links and AR gloves/keyboards are useful for people who want to see AR without getting a DNI, since anyone with a DNI can simply 'blink' open a window, for instance.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Wildcard

• Omae
  • Hex.tall was here.
« Reply #3 on: <03-28-13/1849:15> »
Ideally I'd like a rules reference. Odd things will come up, like sure, a TM would then use his hands instead of AR gloves, but what happens when someone throws an AR rock at his head? Does he split open and bleed? Can he eat AR food? etc.
I was permanently banned from the forums for consistently attacking my fellow posters and trolling the boards. I thought I could get "revenge" on FastJack for being banned by updating my sig to insult him, but all it proved was how much of an idiot I am.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-28-13/1859:16> »
No, Wildcard. AR is AR is AR, no matter who you are. Unless that rock was an attack program, then it wouldn't affect the TM any more than it would any other user. And a TM doesn't even need to use his hands to manipulate AR, any more than someone with a DNI does. They simply issue mental commands. AR gloves are only for those who don't have a DNI.

My Characters

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-28-13/2115:55> »
Basically, an implanted sim module provides a DNI (which is one of the ways to control AR) and allows for simsense (which is one of the ways to experience AR).  Technomancers are treated as having an internal commlink and sim module, which is the bio-node.  Simsense does not have a direct physical effect, but it can in theory convey sensation and emotion (typically, you have to choose to run the simsense first).
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-28-13/2215:39> »
Mirikon;
DNI by itself is not enough to view AR.

A datajack plus commlink cannot view AR though it can interact/control it.   The display must still be imagelinked/soundlinked.

A sim module + datajack/trodes is the missing link.   That allows you to overlay AR onto your normal senses without any of the imagelink, etc's.  It is also the necessary element for full VR.

Rhat has it right.

Wildcard:
The technomancer does not need to use his hands at all... he simply wills things and exerts mental control of the AR interface.   Same as any user with a DNI implant/connection.

Really the only characters I've made which need AR gloves to operate are some hacking adepts (who I slip item-attunement metamagic for the AR hard-liner gloves on).  Only those without DNI or who must work physically with their hands (adepts)... need the gloves.  You can always work the commlink(smartphone) touchscreen interface directly using a complex action to use device.  (this is always a complex action even if you're doing a matrix free action though).

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-28-13/2223:09> »
There a particular reason hacking adepts can't use trodes?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <03-28-13/2252:43> »
They can, but item-attunement requires 'use, control, or handling" of the item.  Attunement doesn't work with DNI at all.  Page 54, attunement (Item)... 4th paragraph.

AR gloves are physically manipulating  the AR interface... without hitting that everything is a complex action speedbump that attuning the commlink instead has.

So it comes down if you want to add half your initiate grade to things you do while manipulating the matrix in AR or not.  (and spend the 8 or 10 karma plus initiation to 'bond' the gloves).

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-28-13/2302:41> »
The clear answer?  Use both!  That way, if you need a DNI for something, you still have it.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <03-28-13/2326:53> »
Actually, you can't use attunement with matrix actions at all. AR gloves are an electronic interface. You are still using Program+Skill for matrix actions.

Quote from: Street Magic, Pg 54
Attunement (Item) provides a dice pool modifier to any skill tests involving use, control, or handling of the item equal to half the character’s initiate grade (rounded up). Attunement, however, provides no bonus when the item is controlled through an electronic interface (be it digital, VR, AR, or DNI), nor does it work on the complex magical auras of foci, prepared vessels, or enchanted items. Attunement also provides no bonus to Active Magical skills.

Really, there aren't any metamagics that lend themselves to matrix actions, further enforcing the idea that magic and tech don't get along. However, there are a few adept powers that could help a hacking adept. Improved Ability, Enhanced Perception, Analytics, Linguistics, Multi-tasking, and Sustenance could all be useful to an adept hacker. Or you could go with powers that help the adept get out of trouble when trouble starts, such as Freefall or Gliding. But the hacking adept will still rely almost entirely on their skills and programs. However, since adepts have less of a BP drain than, say, Magicians, it is a lot easier to do a hacker adept than it is a hacker mage.

My Characters

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <03-28-13/2354:59> »
I disagree... by that measure you couldn't use item attunement on vehicles.  (they're drive by wire).  So even if you are physically manipulating the controls.... electronics are involved.  The item/gloves are NOT controlled through an electronic interface, you are physically controlling the electronic interface.

IIRC, Synner agreed that you could attune a commlink and use it using it's direct interface as a complex.  And that is about as electronic as it gets.

And pointedly 'commlink' is an allowed item.    It's listed outright in the list of attuneable items.

The point is the 'gloves' are not operated remotely with electronics or AR or mental commands.   The gloves are physically used to manipulate AR... not the other way around.  You can not 'attune' a drone for example... but you can attune a car, even if that car uses drive-by-wire (the only way it wouldn't is if it had manual control only modification).  So long as you don't drive the car in VR... but use physical controls... you're fine.

Similarly you can attune a smartlinked gun... even though you're aiming using the smartlink.. you're physically manipulating the gun.   Unless you give it 'trigger removal' and such...

But in any case, the point is... hacking adept is about the only case I can think for someone actually needing/wanting AR gloves.   Instead of just putting on a trode-net/external sim module.   I guess for the truly paranoid sam... he could resort to AR gloves + glasses... so that there was no way to get into his DNI & implants whatsoever if he removed wireless signal chips...
« Last Edit: <03-28-13/2359:58> by Falconer »