NEWS

20 minutes of Shadowrun Returns footage.

• 61 Replies

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #45 on: <03-11-13/1408:50> »
What do you know of madness?  ;D
Considerably more than you seem to think I do. :)
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

bannockburn

• Chummer
  • BGMfH
« Reply #46 on: <03-11-13/1413:42> »
There's a small inventory system... you can see the Samurai switching between weapons, for example, while the Troll has spells stored in his "Backpack" that are ready to click-n-cast. The Rigger also has a drone ... possible that this isn't an "inventory item" so much as a "class power", but the rest means that, yeah, you've got options.
One of the tweets said that the inventory system is not very robust yet. Will probably be expanded, I guess

Interesting that they went back to the six-attribute system instead of the modern eight.
I think the reason for this was stated in the original kickstarter, but I may be wrong. They want to use the SR3 attribute and skill system for the oldschool feeling. SRO is supposed to make use of the 'modern' type.
I don't care either way, as I think that rules systems are less important than gameplay and overall feeling.

In other words: I've really liked the footage. I'll probably play the hell out of this game ^^
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
http://bannockburn1981.deviantart.com/

nmap

• Newb
« Reply #47 on: <03-11-13/1745:23> »
I like it, obviously.

I'm not sure comparison with x-com or xenonauts is appropriate -- in both there's no story, all characters are just numbers, there's no open world to roam, no people you can talk to. (also, new x-com aesthetics suck, IMO. why does everyone have to ba space marine?)

Shadowrun Returns isn't supposed to be x-com clone, it's supposed to by it's own thing, and that makes it interesting. Yes, x-com clones have elevation, for example, and possibly more cover and bigger areas, I don't mind, because it's different kind of game. X-com are tacical simulators, SRR is CRPG with team-based turn-based shootouts. The combat is part of the whole, not raison detre of the whole game, so it can be worse, even though I like it more, because it seems more character-centric, with cover and terrain playing smaller role, and I like that more anyway.

I am curious about the system though, it seems spells have cooldowns? I don't mind the old attribute spread, as I like that more than the current one. And I like how you can roleplay, be nice to homeless, provoke gangers and stuff ;D

I'd love to see some other ways to solve that mission, though. One of the presenters talked about using "corporate etiquette" (but there are no charisma skills -- it's possible they aren't ready yet) to get past the guards, and disguises? Or maybe you can get the gang to help you? Showing two or three ways to solve this would make for a great second preview.

Linkdeath

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #48 on: <03-11-13/1958:29> »
I'm seriously considering buying the game, just for the editor... be handy to use it to make maps for tabletop or PbP games.
The game itself... I hate to say I wasn't all that impressed. More the opposite really. Sorry.

From the lack of any social skills (apparently Charisma is all that matters), it looks like it's pretty much a squad-based turn-based combat game.
Which, I have to admit, is among my favorite genres. But I've seen it executed way better in games like Jagged Alliance (2) and very soon, Xenonauts.
Doesn't even look like there'll be an inventory!

...  Dude, alpha footage.  Know ye not what this means?

This. Also, I plan on getting jiggy with the editor as soon as I get my copy!

(edit for spelling correction)
« Last Edit: <03-12-13/1551:24> by Linkdeath »
Dance to the tension of a world on edge.

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #49 on: <03-11-13/2316:53> »
It reminds me strongly of the Super Nintendo game, which is no surprise since they said they were taking inspiration from that. I was pretty obsessed with the two old video games and based on this preview I don't see a scenario where I won't be playing this game a million hours.

I'll say it, it's the best thing since Playboy. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #50 on: <03-11-13/2336:54> »
I didn't care for how fast they were switching between weapons personally.... that makes it far more of a combat game and less of an RPG... if I have the shotgun in hand... there should be some cost for switching off.

While I hear x-com mentioned a lot... I'll bring up another classic... Fallout 1 & 2.

That system was a full fledged RPG in it's own right... and could have easily been pen and paper.

But one aspect of both that worked very well as the action point system.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #51 on: <03-11-13/2343:58> »
I didn't care for how fast they were switching between weapons personally.... that makes it far more of a combat game and less of an RPG... if I have the shotgun in hand... there should be some cost for switching off.

And I imagine once they've implemented an inventory system there might be an action point implication to such actions.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #52 on: <03-11-13/2347:00> »
*Sings in the key of off*
 Imagine there's no heaven;
 Imagine there's no countries;
 Imagine no possessions...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #53 on: <03-11-13/2352:28> »
*Sings in the key of off*
 Imagine there's no heaven;
 Imagine there's no countries;
 Imagine no possessions...

No!  Don't touch my Possession mage! :P

Could John Lennon be used as a mentor spirit...
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #54 on: <03-12-13/0023:11> »
Don't see why not; I think someone's using Elvis, so why couldn't they use Lennon, too?
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #55 on: <03-12-13/0028:37> »
Don't see why not; I think someone's using Elvis, so why couldn't they use Lennon, too?

What about Lenin? :P
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Wildcard

• Omae
  • Hex.tall was here.
« Reply #56 on: <03-12-13/0031:40> »

Yoko's definitely Toxic.
I was permanently banned from the forums for consistently attacking my fellow posters and trolling the boards. I thought I could get "revenge" on FastJack for being banned by updating my sig to insult him, but all it proved was how much of an idiot I am.

bannockburn

• Chummer
  • BGMfH
« Reply #57 on: <03-12-13/0812:39> »
So, there's a commentary on the video up on the HBS website.
http://harebrained-schemes.com/post/shadowrun-returns-first-look/

Some quotes and my thoughts:
03:30 - options: Burst Fire, Full Auto etc. We also have character combat abilities like Aim. We also use the tabletop “stages” of damage with from Weak (1/2) to Crit (x2). All of this is based on the math from the SR tabletop game. You can see your chance to hit with every character but you need to invest Karma in weapon specializations to see your chance to crit with each weapon type. As your weapon specialization skill increases, so does your chance to crit.
Note, that it says 'based on the math from the SR tabletop'. It doesn't say 1:1 port, which is very fine by me. It still relies on the underlying rule set and this plays on my nostalgia. I like.
The specializations thing obviously works a bit differently, but I like the added utility of knowing crit chance.

05:00 - Note that Lady Z’s corp security etiquette skill is missing from her character sheet. The screen underwent a recent revision and it was left off of this version temporarily
So, this means that there _will_ be etiquette skills. Good to know, and I'm hoping charisma bombing will be a viable playstyle ^^

One other note – you’ll see that the guard asks Lady Z for her SIN. Just want to make it clear that there’s no “SIN system” in the game and runners are SINless. But fake credentials are very useful in getting past guards, etc.
Very reminiscent of the Genesis version. I like this.

06:10 - You’ll notice the rigger is automatically being followed by his drone. If you check the rigger UI at the bottom of the screen, you’ll see that you can set the drone to remain stationary. That’s handy if you want to leave the drone behind to provide line-of-sight on a location after you leave (so there are no surprises when you get back).
The rigger functionality is a bit limited, but this is a nice touch. I'm guessing there won't be any vehicle chases, only drones.

08:08 - Inside the shaman’s backpack are magical fetishes that he uses for summoning elementals: air, fire, water, and earth. Fetishes are consumable to keep the shaman from being overpowered. They can be replenished by purchasing more at the local talismonger.
Sounds reasonable to me, to be honest. Still waiting for mechanics for hermetic mages, though. I'm curious if they can summon the same way or not at all. This troll shaman doesn't seem to have the spellcasting skills, but I'm wondering if he can acquire them.

16:17 - Shaman don’t always need to expend fetishes for summoning spirits. Intense concentrations of emotions or natural elements can be used as gateways for summoning as well. Only shaman can see them.
Seems to be on a related note to:
15:18 - Ley lines are the intersections of magical energy flowing through the world. Only Mages can see them. When they stand on a ley line, Mages cast spells far more easily and with greater effect: cool down times are reduced, and chances to hit are increased, as is damage.
I would love it, if both classes can summon all the time, but shamans can use those concentrations while mages have the use of the ley 'lines'.

10:14 - Some spells have cool-down times associated with them and you SHOULD wait for that time to expire before using the spell again. However, you CAN use the spell again but you’ll take Drain HP damage from pushing yourself.
Interesting. I wonder if you can also take drain randomly.

This is a cross post, thought the folks here might be interested, too.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
http://bannockburn1981.deviantart.com/

RC

• Newb
« Reply #58 on: <03-13-13/0011:08> »
Hoi Chummers!

...I feel Shadowrun returns is an homage to the two previous Shadowrun console titles from the 90's, featuring the equipment, character traits. lore and atmosphere of the 2nd/3rd Ed. Shadowrun timeline, in the form of a deep, computer interactive story, with tactical turn-based video game action sequences we control, and the math from the PnP game adapted by Mike Mulvihill, all told by some of our favorite Shadowrun authors, edited and directed by Jordan Weisman - 'ol man Shadowrun himself.

When I look at it this way, nothing about it disappoints me, because I see it as a piece of Shadowrun entertainment, a story I can engage with and enjoy, and not a typical video game. And as Jordan related during the Kickstarter, "Let's start here--Shadowrun was never about the rules. It's about the game world. If you need proof, look at the 1st Edition rules. They were. . . lacking. But the world caught on and the rules improved."
Which lines up with "If you or your players hate something we've written, change it" - Shadowrun - Page 159, 1st Edition.

It just boggles my mind when some of the most awesome Shadowrun fans around, get angsty over the mechanics of a video game, when most of us love Shadowrun for the mindscape it's always thrilled us with. And no chummers, that's not a challenge. I know this might have come across as a pitch, but it's not my intention. No links, no jazz. I just I love you all, from afar. ^_^

Ja Mata!

-RC
...'juz ah 'nutha Unexplained Genetic Expression in 'da plex
« Last Edit: <03-13-13/0034:57> by RC »

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #59 on: <03-13-13/0049:18> »
Well, it's worth pointing out that video games are a lot less adaptive than tabletop rules.  Changes the dynamics at play quite a bit.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites