NEWS

20 minutes of Shadowrun Returns footage.

• 61 Replies

Linkdeath

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #60 on: <03-14-13/2001:51> »
Hoi Chummers!

...I feel Shadowrun returns is an homage to the two previous Shadowrun console titles from the 90's, featuring the equipment, character traits. lore and atmosphere of the 2nd/3rd Ed. Shadowrun timeline, in the form of a deep, computer interactive story, with tactical turn-based video game action sequences we control, and the math from the PnP game adapted by Mike Mulvihill, all told by some of our favorite Shadowrun authors, edited and directed by Jordan Weisman - 'ol man Shadowrun himself.

When I look at it this way, nothing about it disappoints me, because I see it as a piece of Shadowrun entertainment, a story I can engage with and enjoy, and not a typical video game. And as Jordan related during the Kickstarter, "Let's start here--Shadowrun was never about the rules. It's about the game world. If you need proof, look at the 1st Edition rules. They were. . . lacking. But the world caught on and the rules improved."
Which lines up with "If you or your players hate something we've written, change it" - Shadowrun - Page 159, 1st Edition.

It just boggles my mind when some of the most awesome Shadowrun fans around, get angsty over the mechanics of a video game, when most of us love Shadowrun for the mindscape it's always thrilled us with. And no chummers, that's not a challenge. I know this might have come across as a pitch, but it's not my intention. No links, no jazz. I just I love you all, from afar. ^_^

Ja Mata!

-RC
...'juz ah 'nutha Unexplained Genetic Expression in 'da plex

Welcome to the insanity, RC! Was chatting with you on Twitch earlier today (as a different screen name, though).

Also, I completely agree with what you've posted. It has always been about the setting, not the rules (those have changed drastically enough over the years!). I loved the setting when I firs played it, which was incidentally also the same year I watched Blade Runner for the first time. I was an impressionable youth...
Dance to the tension of a world on edge.

RC

• Newb
« Reply #61 on: <03-15-13/0113:58> »
Hoi LinkDeath!

Thanks for the welcome, Chummer! That Twitch.tv feed during the Shadowrun Returns interview was crazy! I wish I could have answered more questions, but it was the middle of my work day, ya'know?

More so, I wish many who share our love for the lore and atmosphere of Shadowrun's written word, wouldn't get so hung up on the mechanics. I respect the vital work and math that so many chummers over the years have put in to Shadowrun's game system(s), but they do so to provide us a basis to run with other chummers through the awesome setting of our dreams and nightmares. Getting stuck on one element of a mechanic and not being able to let go, so everyone else at the table can enjoy how we strut, slink, wrangle or blast our way through the shadows, has killed more than one gaming group for me over the years. Then I see them doing it to so many more of us when it comes to other media with which we can engage the fixers, gangs, awakened beasts and megacorps we love to tangle with. As long as the canon, the lore and atmosphere of Shadowrun is preserved, then we have the fuel with which to ignite our imaginations, and have fun. And if the math and mechanics of the game system is your fun, I love you for it, because you're awesome to play with too, if you can let go. ^_^

Gah! Sorry, chummer! 'seems I'm feeling ranty this evening. I think I'll take a break, pour a drink, enhance 15 to 23, print a hard copy, then hop in my spinner before this sector's closed to ground traffic!

Ja Mata!

-RC
« Last Edit: <03-15-13/0116:21> by RC »