NEWS

[SR5] The Matrix: Clarifying the Rules, Amping the Awesome

• 176 Replies

Wildcard

• Omae
  • Hex.tall was here.
« Reply #135 on: <03-04-13/1814:51> »
Sichr:
Adepts using astral perception don't decide to use 'astral combat'.   Once you turn on astral perception, you're using trained only 'assensing' and 'astral combat' against any astral entities you chose to attack.. you can only use your physical ones to attack (at a -2 penalty) other physical forms.   Look at the astral combat table in the FAQ.

As far as the FAQ goes... the author of the FAQ himself (Ancient History was his board handle for those who care to know) stated it was not errata and should not function as errata contradicting the published rules.  The goal at the time of publication was to fix a complete and utter abortion of a FAQ which contradicted the rules more often than it clarified them

You make me laugh.
I was permanently banned from the forums for consistently attacking my fellow posters and trolling the boards. I thought I could get "revenge" on FastJack for being banned by updating my sig to insult him, but all it proved was how much of an idiot I am.

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #136 on: <03-04-13/1850:15> »
Your point being Wildcard... the FAQ in this case does not contradict any of the rules.  It serves it's explicit purpose... to clarify the rules when people ask questions about what exactly to roll given the wording of the rules.  It does not go into... 'The GM may allow this if he feels like it" invoking rule 0.  It simply explains the astral combat rules using clearer wording and easy lookup tables rather than needing to read 3 different sections of the rulebook and fill in all the blanks.

Look at the rules on page 193.
"Astrally perceiving and dual-natured characters use their Physical attributes and skills to fight opponents with a physical body,"
*drumroll please*
"and their Astral Combat + willpower to fight wholly astral entities." 

It even goes out of it's way to call out astrally percieving and dual-natured as separate items not as the same thing.

But in any case, no choice is given.   If it's physical or dual-natured use your normal physical skills (with a -2 for non-magical attacks such as involving a mundane sword for astrally perceiving).   And to use the mental + astral combat if the target is astral-only.

Natural weapon power is a mundane power as per Running Wild... if the critter loses all magic it retains it's natural claws/teeth capable of doing physical damage.   It further goes on to define them as 'natural' which do 'physical' damage.   An adept has 'magical' weapons which do physical damage not magical... his fists only do stun in the absence of magic.

That's the last I'll post on this topic... so feel free to snipe me again if you so desire... I'm not going to derail this thread any more.   I merely was pointing out that Sichr's example... of an adept choosing to attack physically or astrally at his option was directly contradicted by the rules.

So it doesn't serve as any basis for comparison to a street sam using his 'pistols' skill to attack in the meat or matrix at his option.  The entire concept strikes me as a bit nonsensical.   Why bother with a cybercombat skill (or astral combat) skill at all in that case.
« Last Edit: <03-04-13/1852:49> by Falconer »

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #137 on: <03-04-13/1943:36> »
I'm just gonna quote myself here, for a second, because I feel like this has been forgotten.

In any case, let me frame this a little - note that for these purposes, hackers and riggers are being considered to be two separate skillsets.

1: Each and every character type (defined as a complete character, who may not be optimal, and thus a character with multiple skillsets) should have a way to make a meaningful contribution to combat.

Premise 1a: It is true that not every character type should contribute to every situation.
Premise 1b: It is also true that combat is more or less unique in that a very possible result on almost every occasion is the loss of a character.
Premise 1c: A player has, without reservation, the right to contribute in meaningful ways to the avoidance of the loss of their character.
Conclusion: All players at the table, and by extension all characters that might be played, must be able to meaningfully contribute to combat.  This is more or less a unique aspect of combat.

2: Things like interfering with enemy communications or blinding a single target under the current rules is not a meaningful contribution.

Premise 2a: A meaningful contribution is one that can turn the course of an appropriately difficult fight from defeat to victory due to its presence and be noticed to do so - otherwise, it is more or less bereft of positive relevance to people's table experience
Premise 2a-I: A combat character makes a more meaningful contribution than others as the fight is their spotlight moment, but they also set the terms of what meaningful means.
Premise 2a-II: Meaningful, therefore, can be defined as the combination of being able to turn defeat to victory in an appropriately difficult fight and doing so in the time scale established by the amount of time it takes for combat to have ended.  (Let's call this the substantiveness test)
Premise 2b: While communication can be useful, on the tactical scale of Shadowrun combat messing with it will not be a determining element of the fight in an noticeable way in enough cases to pass the substantiveness test.
Premise 2c: Blinding a single target does not take away their damage overall - they may still attack using the blind-fire rules.  Again, this fails the substantiveness test.

Conclusion: Hacker characters need to be able to do more than that, and they need to be able to do it in a small enough time scale that it matters that they can do it.

3: It is probable for a playable character to exist that uses hacking as its primary role and does not have a combat-based secondary role.

Premise 3a: A character that is not combat primary or secondary is highly unlikely to be able to make a meaningful contribution, as defined above, through their combat skills.
Premise 3b: A secondary role is one that is either an element of a character's primary type but not its core (a mage not specifically structured for combat but having a workable combat spell and/or a decent combat spirit to fall back on), or the secondary skillset they are built for (IE, a social adept with some unarmed ranks and powers).
Premise 3c: A character that is able to make its primary and secondary skillsets work together will probably see a fair bit of play.
Premise 3d: The social engineering hacker (Hacker primary, Face secondary) has two skillsets that directly complement each other, creating a very effective character that could very easily fit with the concept a player wants.
Premise 3d-I: Face supplements Hacker due to the ability to grift your way into getting the physical access you need and the information you need to make your Hacker activities much easier, especially if the information isn't on the Matrix.
Premise 3d-II: Hacker supplements Face by making it far easier to sell a con, as well as providing the information to make it easier to manipulate people.

Conclusion: Hacking needs to be directly relevant to combat in a way that passes the substantiveness test.

4: Hacking is, or at least should be, the counter to cyberware.

4a: A counter is defined as something that is especially effective at specifically combating the subject, usually through taking advantage of weaknesses and limitations or decreasing efficacy.  This means that it is (a) generally the most effective means of taking on the subject, and (b) more effective at that than at other tasks in the web.
4b: In any multi-element game, maintaining both balance and distinctiveness simultaneously requires the notion of counters.  Rock-Paper-Scissors is the classic example, albeit an overly simplistic one.
4c: Heavily cybered characters lack any true counters - everything that's effective against them is effective in the same way as against anything else.  The sole exception is cyber-hacking, which is a means by which hackers can diminish their effectiveness, perhaps to the point of eliminating or even reversing their impact on the fight.
4d: Hacking isn't a true counter to anything else - the only runner-up is riggers, who are actually (due to their likelihood of having better ECM and ECCM capabilities, along with a few other things) the direct counter to hackers.

Conclusion: Cyber-hacking cannot be removed should various forms of balance be preserved.

Feel like I'm forgetting a couple of points I wanted to cover (stopped in the middle of typing this to grab dinner), but I can't seem to cease forgetting them.

This is an argument which aims to prove that these things are objectively true.  You are free to think that I have not proven my case here, but to argue contrary to these points and have a leg to stand on while doing so, you must attempt to demonstrate a flaw in either the logic or the premises.  If the logic is sound and the premises are valid, these things are true and there's no longer any argument to be had on these specific points - and thus you cannot, for example, equate giving hacking combat options with giving fighting hacking options; that is demonstrated to be a false equivalence under point 1.

Similarly, it is incorrect to think that this is saying hackers should be just as good in combat as sams - see Premise 2a-I.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #138 on: <03-04-13/2015:44> »
Strongly disagree Rhat... it is not objective.

Not in the least.

Collecting a ton of subjective opinions together does not make it objective.   Not in the least.   Many of your statements are not things which people agree with.   Even more to the point... half your conclusions are complete non sequitors to your so called 'objective' premises.

Example: 1c.   if you have done something (or utterly failed to do something)... then it is your fault that you got into a fight you should not have.   Some classes are 'pre-emptive' others are 'reactive'.   Street sams tend to be reactive.. if the bullets are flying it is normally because something has gone wrong or because it's a necessary part of the plan which is generally minimized as much as possible by the actions of the rest of the team.

So for 1c... if the fight is avoidable by the actions of the hacker, that is the time for him to act.   Not bitch and moan because it's utterly stupid that people would leave cyberware in any state where it should be compromisable in mere seconds by any hacker around who was too lazy to do his groundwork.

I can come up with all kinds of ways to point out that even your section 2 is not objective.   For example... you're in a fight... if the hacker delays reinforcements by any number of methods(sending them elsewhere, locking a door in their face, attacking them with the buildings own security systems such as a gun turret!!...  .. he makes a substantial contribution to the difficulty of a fight.      Many people have very little idea how much raw numbers contributes to many fights... if you can keep the fight a 5 on 5... as opposed to 15 on 5...it's quite substantial as 3 5 on 5 fights is a lot easier than one 15 on you gangbang.

A hackers role in combat should be largely pre-emptive and pro-active.   He should have compromised some elements of the system before the fight even begins.   If he hasn't, I would go so far as to say he's larely incompetent.

All you're doing is forcing all street sams to be 'Bull' clones... half sammy, half decker.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #139 on: <03-04-13/2020:32> »
First, it's a premise, not an example.  Two very different things.

So, to make sure I understand this correctly, you agree that a player has to right to contribute to preventing the loss of their character, but think that hackers do so preemptively?  That assumes that any fight a hacker gets into is due to the hacker, and not a different team member, screwing up.  Not a valid assumption.

And I said it attempts to prove - I'm not asserting my opinion as objective fact, I'm attempting to prove an objective fact through rational argumentation.  And you seem to misunderstand the meaning of objective versus subjective rather drastically.  And for purposes of this discussion, let's not assume they're in a corp facility where the things you mention become options; that's an additional element rather than a default.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #140 on: <03-04-13/2025:41> »
I'm just gonna quote myself here, for a second, because I feel like this has been forgotten.

In any case, let me frame this a little - note that for these purposes, hackers and riggers are being considered to be two separate skillsets.

1: Each and every character type (defined as a complete character, who may not be optimal, and thus a character with multiple skillsets) should have a way to make a meaningful contribution to combat.

Premise 1a: It is true that not every character type should contribute to every situation.
Premise 1b: It is also true that combat is more or less unique in that a very possible result on almost every occasion is the loss of a character.
Premise 1c: A player has, without reservation, the right to contribute in meaningful ways to the avoidance of the loss of their character.
Conclusion: All players at the table, and by extension all characters that might be played, must be able to meaningfully contribute to combat.  This is more or less a unique aspect of combat.

2: Things like interfering with enemy communications or blinding a single target under the current rules is not a meaningful contribution.

Premise 2a: A meaningful contribution is one that can turn the course of an appropriately difficult fight from defeat to victory due to its presence and be noticed to do so - otherwise, it is more or less bereft of positive relevance to people's table experience
Premise 2a-I: A combat character makes a more meaningful contribution than others as the fight is their spotlight moment, but they also set the terms of what meaningful means.
Premise 2a-II: Meaningful, therefore, can be defined as the combination of being able to turn defeat to victory in an appropriately difficult fight and doing so in the time scale established by the amount of time it takes for combat to have ended.  (Let's call this the substantiveness test)
Premise 2b: While communication can be useful, on the tactical scale of Shadowrun combat messing with it will not be a determining element of the fight in an noticeable way in enough cases to pass the substantiveness test.
Premise 2c: Blinding a single target does not take away their damage overall - they may still attack using the blind-fire rules.  Again, this fails the substantiveness test.

Conclusion: Hacker characters need to be able to do more than that, and they need to be able to do it in a small enough time scale that it matters that they can do it.

3: It is probable for a playable character to exist that uses hacking as its primary role and does not have a combat-based secondary role.

Premise 3a: A character that is not combat primary or secondary is highly unlikely to be able to make a meaningful contribution, as defined above, through their combat skills.
Premise 3b: A secondary role is one that is either an element of a character's primary type but not its core (a mage not specifically structured for combat but having a workable combat spell and/or a decent combat spirit to fall back on), or the secondary skillset they are built for (IE, a social adept with some unarmed ranks and powers).
Premise 3c: A character that is able to make its primary and secondary skillsets work together will probably see a fair bit of play.
Premise 3d: The social engineering hacker (Hacker primary, Face secondary) has two skillsets that directly complement each other, creating a very effective character that could very easily fit with the concept a player wants.
Premise 3d-I: Face supplements Hacker due to the ability to grift your way into getting the physical access you need and the information you need to make your Hacker activities much easier, especially if the information isn't on the Matrix.
Premise 3d-II: Hacker supplements Face by making it far easier to sell a con, as well as providing the information to make it easier to manipulate people.

Conclusion: Hacking needs to be directly relevant to combat in a way that passes the substantiveness test.

4a: A counter is defined as something that is especially effective at specifically combating the subject, usually through taking advantage of weaknesses and limitations or decreasing efficacy.  This means that it is (a) generally the most effective means of taking on the subject, and (b) more effective at that than at other tasks in the web.
4b: In any multi-element game, maintaining both balance and distinctiveness simultaneously requires the notion of counters.  Rock-Paper-Scissors is the classic example, albeit an overly simplistic one.
4c: Heavily cybered characters lack any true counters - everything that's effective against them is effective in the same way as against anything else.  The sole exception is cyber-hacking, which is a means by which hackers can diminish their effectiveness, perhaps to the point of eliminating or even reversing their impact on the fight.
4d: Hacking isn't a true counter to anything else - the only runner-up is riggers, who are actually (due to their likelihood of having better ECM and ECCM capabilities, along with a few other things) the direct counter to hackers.

Conclusion: Cyber-hacking cannot be removed should various forms of balance be preserved.

Feel like I'm forgetting a couple of points I wanted to cover (stopped in the middle of typing this to grab dinner), but I can't seem to cease forgetting them.

This is an argument which aims to prove that these things are objectively true.  You are free to think that I have not proven my case here, but to argue contrary to these points and have a leg to stand on while doing so, you must attempt to demonstrate a flaw in either the logic or the premises.  If the logic is sound and the premises are valid, these things are true and there's no longer any argument to be had on these specific points - and thus you cannot, for example, equate giving hacking combat options with giving fighting hacking options; that is demonstrated to be a false equivalence under point 1.

Similarly, it is incorrect to think that this is saying hackers should be just as good in combat as sams - see Premise 2a-I.

Not forgotten, but just because you organized your opinions together does not change that they're opinions.

People have already pointed out multiple ways that a Hacker can contribute to combat that does not involve turning cyber implants into a massive liability.

To reiterate them:

Scramble opposing force's communications.
Hack into and take control of enemy drones.
Cut off access to the field of engagement from the enemy's reinforcements.
Invest in the Gunnery skill and get a drone or two.
Maintain the team's tactical network and keep it secure.
Hack in to shut down alarms that have been activated.
Invest in Combat Skills.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #141 on: <03-04-13/2037:07> »

Not forgotten, but just because you organized your opinions together does not change that they're opinions.

People have already pointed out multiple ways that a Hacker can contribute to combat that does not involve turning cyber implants into a massive liability.

To reiterate them:

Scramble opposing force's communications.
Hack into and take control of enemy drones.
Cut off access to the field of engagement from the enemy's reinforcements.
Invest in the Gunnery skill and get a drone or two.
Maintain the team's tactical network and keep it secure.
Hack in to shut down alarms that have been activated.
Invest in Combat Skills.

It is an argument.  This is a very different thing from an opinion - it may be the case that some of the premises lack the factual support they need, and if you see such a case I urge you to point it out.  To address your list:

- Fails the substantiveness test.  If you want to keep forwarding this idea, you'll need to challenge the test itself.
- Only counts if the enemy has a rigger, and the control side is rigging rather than hacking.  This is a way for a rigger to contribute, not a hacker, and riggers aren't short of those.
- Not possible in anything approaching all fields of engagement, and thus doesn't apply to the more general design level.
- That's for the Rigger, not the Hacker.
- Fails the substantiveness test.
- Not nearly a common enough thing.
- Doesn't apply to already complete characters (See: Hacker/Face).  Further, as a purely mental-stat skillset, hacking doesn't lend itself to that kind of crossover like it does for the Infil-specialist who probably already has good Agility.  A Hacker/Face character, for example, won't be able to get enough dice for that to pass the substantiveness test.

And thus your list doesn't work.

And further, having a weakness does not make cyberlimbs a massive liability.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #142 on: <03-04-13/2045:56> »
And if the things that don't always apply happen not to in a situation, and the Hacker hasn't invested in combat-oriented skills (including Gunnery as an option), then guess what, they have chosen to be useless in combat. There shouldn't be something like cyber-hacking there just so that some special-snowflake-hacker player can refuse combat-oriented skills and still be good in a combat situation.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #143 on: <03-04-13/2049:49> »
Why not?  Why does the player of the Hacker/Face (which is a probable character, not a special snowflake) not have the right to contribute meaningfully to the avoidance of the loss of his character?  You're disagreeing with the conclusion of the first stage of the argument while refusing to address either the logic or the premises.  If the logic is sound and the premises are valid, the conclusion is true.  That's just how it works.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #144 on: <03-04-13/2056:00> »
If you don't take drones and Gunnery or combat skills and combat breaks out, then it's your own fault if you can't contribute to the fight in situations where the other stuff I listed don't apply.

Heck, the Hacker/Face could try to keep it from escalating to combat using his social skills in the case of that 'example'.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #145 on: <03-04-13/2101:46> »
There are combats that the Hacker/Face doesn't have the relevant skills to prevent.

So you disagree with the idea that every player has a right to contribute meaningfully to preventing the loss of their character?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #146 on: <03-04-13/2106:21> »
There are combats that the Hacker/Face doesn't have the relevant skills to prevent.

So you disagree with the idea that every player has a right to contribute meaningfully to preventing the loss of their character?

If they didn't bother buying the skills and/or gear for combat, then that's their own fault, like I said.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #147 on: <03-04-13/2110:52> »

If they didn't bother buying the skills and/or gear for combat, then that's their own fault, like I said.

Which is a pretty weak argument because, you know, mages.  They only need the skills they already inevitably have.  Even without combat spells, they have spirits.  It also runs headlong into the fact that they have to do more than just get the skills and gear for it, because their attribute layout will be wrong for combat as well.

And if you want it to take an extra skill, the Cybercombat skill could do with some serious expansion as it is anyways, or a new skillgroup could be added altogether that's still linked to Logic so that Hackers actually have the attribute for what their trying to do.  Fully mental stat characters cannot contribute meaningfully without a mental stat method - Agility 1 or 2 plus Pistols 2 is just not gonna do it.
« Last Edit: <03-04-13/2114:48> by RHat »
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #148 on: <03-04-13/2113:36> »
Then maybe they shouldn't have done the whole "dump stat" thing with their physical attributes (again their own fault). You dump Agility and don't take combat skills, well dying in a firefight is a natural consequence of that.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #149 on: <03-04-13/2116:05> »
A Hacker/Face with low physical attributes isn't doing a dumpstat thing, it's a natural consequence.  You try building a character who needs all four mental attributes to be high and still get decent physical stats.  So that's not a valid argument that you're making.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites