NEWS

[SR5] The Matrix: Clarifying the Rules, Amping the Awesome

• 176 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #45 on: <03-03-13/1836:46> »
I really hope they don't take out hacking cyberware. I mean it fun. I don't really see what you mean by can of worms. Some one can have a hacker on there team make sure there cyberware is not hacked. and Cyberware makes you more powerful but it leaves you open to be hacked and have things shutdown or a hacker making your arm jerk to shoot your team mates or hacking your eye's to make you think that you are seeing something your not. It just fun stuff to do. Please just leave it in the game. If you don't want to get your cyberware to hacked learn how to protect it get an agent in it make friends with a hacker so on.

At present, it's too nebulous as to just what can be done with such an action, and really, it would be better to just remove to option, as to give it the amount of definition it needs would just add too much complication to an already complex hacking system.

The more I think about it I kind of agree with All4bigguns on this.  Not every character type needs to be combat awesome and we don't need to cram every skill set into a combat role.  It kind of sucks to make a street sam if the hacker does as much in a fight but has a ton of other tricks.  And honestly I hate things like hacking cyber for the same reason I hate background count in 4e and adepts.  The less I have to fiddle with the better, rearranging what ware or powers are active is a pain.  They most likely have modifiers built into my character sheet and changing that up on the fly in the game just a pain in the ass.  Sure assign a penalty from background count or maybe some kind of electronic interference hack, but make it a consistent easy to track modifier and not something as tedious as figuring out what power no longer works etc.   

I don't mind as much of external gear gets hacked though if a hacker wants to help in combat more directly outside things like hacking comms they have drones to fall back on.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #46 on: <03-03-13/1842:51> »
...and creating an electrical strike by hacking a light pole I don't think is within the realm of physical reality.
Unless you've ported in Highlander, in which case the decapitated guy is something you have to worry more about for electrical damage.

Not to mention the unkillable fellow with the big ass sword.
Been there, done that :)

http://chaosrpg.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/tss-13.pdf
Why am I not surprised.

Why the hell did any of you let me into the club, anyhow?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #47 on: <03-03-13/1924:17> »
I really hope they don't take out hacking cyberware. I mean it fun. I don't really see what you mean by can of worms. Some one can have a hacker on there team make sure there cyberware is not hacked. and Cyberware makes you more powerful but it leaves you open to be hacked and have things shutdown or a hacker making your arm jerk to shoot your team mates or hacking your eye's to make you think that you are seeing something your not. It just fun stuff to do. Please just leave it in the game. If you don't want to get your cyberware to hacked learn how to protect it get an agent in it make friends with a hacker so on.

At present, it's too nebulous as to just what can be done with such an action, and really, it would be better to just remove to option, as to give it the amount of definition it needs would just add too much complication to an already complex hacking system.

The more I think about it I kind of agree with All4bigguns on this.  Not every character type needs to be combat awesome and we don't need to cram every skill set into a combat role.  It kind of sucks to make a street sam if the hacker does as much in a fight but has a ton of other tricks.  And honestly I hate things like hacking cyber for the same reason I hate background count in 4e and adepts.  The less I have to fiddle with the better, rearranging what ware or powers are active is a pain.  They most likely have modifiers built into my character sheet and changing that up on the fly in the game just a pain in the ass.  Sure assign a penalty from background count or maybe some kind of electronic interference hack, but make it a consistent easy to track modifier and not something as tedious as figuring out what power no longer works etc.   

I don't mind as much of external gear gets hacked though if a hacker wants to help in combat more directly outside things like hacking comms they have drones to fall back on.
Except that hackers attacking their ware is one of the major balancing aspects against Street Samurai and other ware-heavy characters. Plus, it is a quintessential part of the Cyberpunk genre. You go around lopping off perfectly good pieces of yourself and putting machines where flesh ought to be, that's all well and good, but there's a price to pay, and I don't just mean nuyen. That's like saying it sucks to play a mage, and then have to deal with drain or background counts because that is a pain. That's a part of what it means to be a mage, so suck it up or play something different.

If you have massive ware, and aren't taking steps to protect yourself, then don't blame me if I go Laughing Man (not the Shadowland poster) on you. You shouldn't have replaced perfectly good eyes with cameras. Just be glad there isn't such a thing as ghost hacking (yet).
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #48 on: <03-03-13/1931:05> »

Except that hackers attacking their ware is one of the major balancing aspects against Street Samurai and other ware-heavy characters. Plus, it is a quintessential part of the Cyberpunk genre. You go around lopping off perfectly good pieces of yourself and putting machines where flesh ought to be, that's all well and good, but there's a price to pay, and I don't just mean nuyen. That's like saying it sucks to play a mage, and then have to deal with drain or background counts because that is a pain. That's a part of what it means to be a mage, so suck it up or play something different.

If you have massive ware, and aren't taking steps to protect yourself, then don't blame me if I go Laughing Man (not the Shadowland poster) on you. You shouldn't have replaced perfectly good eyes with cameras. Just be glad there isn't such a thing as ghost hacking (yet).

Again, my whole point is that it's just not worth the hassle to leave it in. Like I said, it's far too nebulous as to what can be accomplished, and also like I said, it's better to remove the option than it is to complicate the already highly complex Matrix rules defining it.

Not to mention that people keep ignoring the simple fact that not every single character type should 'have something to do' in every single situation. Different character types contribute in different situations, and that is just fine.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Sipowitz

• Omae
  • Smile for the camera
« Reply #49 on: <03-03-13/1931:59> »
If you don't want the Decker to hack your cyberware, then you first target should be the deck itself.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #50 on: <03-03-13/1949:23> »
If you don't want the Decker to hack your cyberware, then you first target should be the deck itself.
Truth.

Again, my whole point is that it's just not worth the hassle to leave it in. Like I said, it's far too nebulous as to what can be accomplished, and also like I said, it's better to remove the option than it is to complicate the already highly complex Matrix rules defining it.

Not to mention that people keep ignoring the simple fact that not every single character type should 'have something to do' in every single situation. Different character types contribute in different situations, and that is just fine.
What is nebulous about it? You take control of the cyberarm, you can turn it off, punch the wearer in the face (or the junk, if you like), fire cyberweapons randomly, screw with diagnostics, inverse the x-y controls so that the person trying to make the arm goes up makes it go down, and so on. For the record, all those options I just listed can be easily done with the Command or Edit programs.

And yes, not every character should be optimal in every situation. But "Ooh look, there's a guy with computers in half his body" IS the situation for the hacker, just like "Ooh look, a pissed off spirit just showed up" is the situation for the mage, and "Ooh, anyone want to try talking our way through this gang roadblock" is the situation for the Face.

My Characters

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #51 on: <03-03-13/2043:17> »
There's no reason it has to be nebulous. It can be very specific.

Like, you have a utility that lets you hijack a cyberarm long enough to have it fire the pistol it's holding at another target. That's all the utility does. Presumably the cyberarm's internal cyberdefenses recover enough to fight off the hijack immediately after the attack.

In game terms it's a momentary 'mind control' attack that forces an enemy to make a single attack against one of their allies. The target must possess cyberlimbs and have a attack of some sort available.

Similarly other hacker attack utilities would be very specific on what they can do. 'Electrocute' might cause a set amount of electrical damage to a small radius, but require a object target that is connected to a significant power source. Fluffwise the hacker is briefly overriding control system or the like to explode a transformer or generate a power surge, but mechanically it'd be like a mage tossing a lightning ball.

-k

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #52 on: <03-03-13/2207:47> »
Yeah, in 4e, it's a mess because it only works on people who are very dumb and it's also very nebulous. Having clear and balanced rules in 5e would be good.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #53 on: <03-03-13/2254:01> »
I wonder if the writers are reading these threads, and taking notes on what people are saying were issues with the
things being commented on in the current edition?

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #54 on: <03-03-13/2257:16> »
Hacking cyberware is nasty but is part of the setting and IMO at least ever since GITS firm part of the cyberpunk trope. I have no objection to that, and the more would this be "doable" in direct interaction, the better.

Very strongly disagree.

Ghost in the Shell is not shadowrun.  It similarly lacks any element of magic.  It's entire central tenet is combat drones (not cybernetic sams), AI's, and hacking.

GitS has full body replacements.. complete and utter robot drones.   Even the brains are no longer meat but some kind of computer core.   That is one of the major themes of GitS, their meat consciousness has been ported into an AI and are they still 'human" and have a ghost.   So they aren't even 'jarheads' in the shadowrun sense.   Though jarheads come closest to describing how they 'rig' their robotic full body drone bodies.

Shadowrun has no equivalent to the GitS 'autistic' mode.   Not with the everything and anything is wireless mess, even if there's no good reason for it.

I'm all for hacking drones, I'm all for hacking doors, I'm all for hacking smartguns, I'm all for hacking sensor feeds,  I'm all for hacking the data going into people's imagelinks... and even the external imagelink accessories... most likely by getting into their commlinks and altering the data going to the PANs.  Hacking building environment controls... controlling lights, fire sprinklers, security camera feeds....  not to mention all the legwork type stuff that they do in ways no one else can.

But not cyberware... cybernetics is man/machine hybrid and it should be enforced that the meat and metal are both parts of the functioning whole.  The wireless should be driven out of them as well as the ability to directly hack them.   Street sams don't need even more problems compared to adepts.  People 'hijacking' an arm and then somehow precision aiming and shooting others with it even though the arm itself has no visual sensors or ways to aim.

It was made 'wireless' as part of the everything is wireless drive... and it should be cast back out just as quickly.   Every item which was made wireless should be subjected to the 'should this really be wireless' test.

The only other items I can think of as problematic in SR4.
Unlimited memory in pretty much everything.   There should be limits to the 'record everything and anything bits'.
Unlimited power in pretty much everything.   In civilized areas this makes sense... okay you steal power off gridguide or the like... but in the wilderness.
« Last Edit: <03-03-13/2303:19> by Falconer »

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #55 on: <03-03-13/2311:50> »
GITS is also more technologically advanced than Shadowrun, Falconer. The tech is headed that way. Everything is heading towards getting more interconnected, which means hackers are more of a threat. You can put your head in the sand, you can go neo-luddite, or you can be paranoid and rip wireless out of things, but as it stands, wireless connectivitity is where its at, and where its going to remain.

There is an 'autistic' mode, Falconer. Its called "Turning the wireless off".

As for cybernetics, it is not a man/machine hybrid, but a man/machine interface. The machine doesn't suddenly become a part of the man or a man a part of the machine. It is a machine stuck on where man ought to be, which the man can control via various means. If they were both parts of a functioning whole, then ware wouldn't bite so deep into your Essence, and it wouldn't be left behind when someone hit you with Turn to Goo.

My Characters

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #56 on: <03-03-13/2324:43> »

You get access, you make a Command vs Command check to make it do something within the range of what it can do.  Unless something else (like Mind Over Machine) specifically expands the range of what something can do, it's not all that nebulous or vague - just a cross reference.  The hacking rules are highly inheritance based.

In any case, let me frame this a little - note that for these purposes, hackers and riggers are being considered to be two separate skillsets.

1: Each and every character type (defined as a complete character, who may not be optimal, and thus a character with multiple skillsets) should have a way to make a meaningful contribution to combat.

Premise 1a: It is true that not every character type should contribute to every situation.
Premise 1b: It is also true that combat is more or less unique in that a very possible result on almost every occasion is the loss of a character.
Premise 1c: A player has, without reservation, the right to contribute in meaningful ways to the avoidance of the loss of their character.
Conclusion: All players at the table, and by extension all characters that might be played, must be able to meaningfully contribute to combat.  This is more or less a unique aspect of combat.

2: Things like interfering with enemy communications or blinding a single target under the current rules is not a meaningful contribution.

Premise 2a: A meaningful contribution is one that can turn the course of an appropriately difficult fight from defeat to victory due to its presence and be noticed to do so - otherwise, it is more or less bereft of positive relevance to people's table experience
Premise 2a-I: A combat character makes a more meaningful contribution than others as the fight is their spotlight moment, but they also set the terms of what meaningful means.
Premise 2a-II: Meaningful, therefore, can be defined as the combination of being able to turn defeat to victory in an appropriately difficult fight and doing so in the time scale established by the amount of time it takes for combat to have ended.  (Let's call this the substantiveness test)
Premise 2b: While communication can be useful, on the tactical scale of Shadowrun combat messing with it will not be a determining element of the fight in an noticeable way in enough cases to pass the substantiveness test.
Premise 2c: Blinding a single target does not take away their damage overall - they may still attack using the blind-fire rules.  Again, this fails the substantiveness test.

Conclusion: Hacker characters need to be able to do more than that, and they need to be able to do it in a small enough time scale that it matters that they can do it.

3: It is probable for a playable character to exist that uses hacking as its primary role and does not have a combat-based secondary role.

Premise 3a: A character that is not combat primary or secondary is highly unlikely to be able to make a meaningful contribution, as defined above, through their combat skills.
Premise 3b: A secondary role is one that is either an element of a character's primary type but not its core (a mage not specifically structured for combat but having a workable combat spell and/or a decent combat spirit to fall back on), or the secondary skillset they are built for (IE, a social adept with some unarmed ranks and powers).
Premise 3c: A character that is able to make its primary and secondary skillsets work together will probably see a fair bit of play.
Premise 3d: The social engineering hacker (Hacker primary, Face secondary) has two skillsets that directly complement each other, creating a very effective character that could very easily fit with the concept a player wants.
Premise 3d-I: Face supplements Hacker due to the ability to grift your way into getting the physical access you need and the information you need to make your Hacker activities much easier, especially if the information isn't on the Matrix.
Premise 3d-II: Hacker supplements Face by making it far easier to sell a con, as well as providing the information to make it easier to manipulate people.

Conclusion: Hacking needs to be directly relevant to combat in a way that passes the substantiveness test.

4: Hacking is, or at least should be, the counter to cyberware.

4a: A counter is defined as something that is especially effective at specifically combating the subject, usually through taking advantage of weaknesses and limitations or decreasing efficacy.  This means that it is (a) generally the most effective means of taking on the subject, and (b) more effective at that than at other tasks in the web.
4b: In any multi-element game, maintaining both balance and distinctiveness simultaneously requires the notion of counters.  Rock-Paper-Scissors is the classic example, albeit an overly simplistic one.
4c: Heavily cybered characters lack any true counters - everything that's effective against them is effective in the same way as against anything else.  The sole exception is cyber-hacking, which is a means by which hackers can diminish their effectiveness, perhaps to the point of eliminating or even reversing their impact on the fight.
4d: Hacking isn't a true counter to anything else - the only runner-up is riggers, who are actually (due to their likelihood of having better ECM and ECCM capabilities, along with a few other things) the direct counter to hackers.

Conclusion: Cyber-hacking cannot be removed should various forms of balance be preserved.

Feel like I'm forgetting a couple of points I wanted to cover (stopped in the middle of typing this to grab dinner), but I can't seem to cease forgetting them.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #57 on: <03-03-13/2339:34> »
I strongly disagree with this.. because all it takes is a few nanites which turn on all the wireless and you're back to square one.   There are ways to force people to turn on wireless whether they want it or not.

It is that trope which needs to go.   Not everything is wireless.   For many things it makes great sense, but not for everything.

In prior editions if i was in autistic mode I never once had a GM try to bust in... or just pull out handwavium oh your system is compromised simply because I think it's cool.  In SR4, though, with some people it's an obsession.  Normally when it happens, it just happens as well... it doesn't matter how much or how secure you make it.   It's wireless suddenly and then it's all compromised.   It makes it almost impossible to even attempt to play a street sam anymore, or if so.. to ignore cyber in favor of bioware.

I'll repeat that once more as it's own sentence paragraph... the way to make deckers better and more relevant is NOT to render every street sam obsolete and their puppet.

And I disagree as well about the nature of cybernetics.  The systems are designed to be controlled by the mind as natural extensions of the body.   They are pointedly not rigged, nor remote controlled (you couldn't move more than a single arm or leg at a time then).   A cyberarm may have wireless diagnostics as it's rationale... but this should not allow it to be moved wireless as if it were a drone.   There should be a clear difference between a drone/robot and cyberware.

Rhat:
And after rereading through all that for the 3rd time... disagree strongly.

While we're at it... we should put in a social combat system. 
So then the face can screw the street sam over too.  Or the face can better yet force the hacker to do things using social combat.

All I get out of your entire post is a combat focused character like a sam has no role and should be vulnerable to everyone else.
« Last Edit: <03-04-13/0000:07> by Falconer »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #58 on: <03-04-13/0031:18> »
You get access, you make a Command vs Command check to make it do something within the range of what it can do.  Unless something else (like Mind Over Machine) specifically expands the range of what something can do, it's not all that nebulous or vague - just a cross reference.  The hacking rules are highly inheritance based.

In any case, let me frame this a little - note that for these purposes, hackers and riggers are being considered to be two separate skillsets.

1: Each and every character type (defined as a complete character, who may not be optimal, and thus a character with multiple skillsets) should have a way to make a meaningful contribution to combat.

Premise 1a: It is true that not every character type should contribute to every situation.
Premise 1b: It is also true that combat is more or less unique in that a very possible result on almost every occasion is the loss of a character.
Premise 1c: A player has, without reservation, the right to contribute in meaningful ways to the avoidance of the loss of their character.
Conclusion: All players at the table, and by extension all characters that might be played, must be able to meaningfully contribute to combat.  This is more or less a unique aspect of combat.

2: Things like interfering with enemy communications or blinding a single target under the current rules is not a meaningful contribution.

Premise 2a: A meaningful contribution is one that can turn the course of an appropriately difficult fight from defeat to victory due to its presence and be noticed to do so - otherwise, it is more or less bereft of positive relevance to people's table experience
Premise 2a-I: A combat character makes a more meaningful contribution than others as the fight is their spotlight moment, but they also set the terms of what meaningful means.
Premise 2a-II: Meaningful, therefore, can be defined as the combination of being able to turn defeat to victory in an appropriately difficult fight and doing so in the time scale established by the amount of time it takes for combat to have ended.  (Let's call this the substantiveness test)
Premise 2b: While communication can be useful, on the tactical scale of Shadowrun combat messing with it will not be a determining element of the fight in an noticeable way in enough cases to pass the substantiveness test.
Premise 2c: Blinding a single target does not take away their damage overall - they may still attack using the blind-fire rules.  Again, this fails the substantiveness test.

Conclusion: Hacker characters need to be able to do more than that, and they need to be able to do it in a small enough time scale that it matters that they can do it.

3: It is probable for a playable character to exist that uses hacking as its primary role and does not have a combat-based secondary role.

Premise 3a: A character that is not combat primary or secondary is highly unlikely to be able to make a meaningful contribution, as defined above, through their combat skills.
Premise 3b: A secondary role is one that is either an element of a character's primary type but not its core (a mage not specifically structured for combat but having a workable combat spell and/or a decent combat spirit to fall back on), or the secondary skillset they are built for (IE, a social adept with some unarmed ranks and powers).
Premise 3c: A character that is able to make its primary and secondary skillsets work together will probably see a fair bit of play.
Premise 3d: The social engineering hacker (Hacker primary, Face secondary) has two skillsets that directly complement each other, creating a very effective character that could very easily fit with the concept a player wants.
Premise 3d-I: Face supplements Hacker due to the ability to grift your way into getting the physical access you need and the information you need to make your Hacker activities much easier, especially if the information isn't on the Matrix.
Premise 3d-II: Hacker supplements Face by making it far easier to sell a con, as well as providing the information to make it easier to manipulate people.

Conclusion: Hacking needs to be directly relevant to combat in a way that passes the substantiveness test.

4: Hacking is, or at least should be, the counter to cyberware.

4a: A counter is defined as something that is especially effective at specifically combating the subject, usually through taking advantage of weaknesses and limitations or decreasing efficacy.  This means that it is (a) generally the most effective means of taking on the subject, and (b) more effective at that than at other tasks in the web.
4b: In any multi-element game, maintaining both balance and distinctiveness simultaneously requires the notion of counters.  Rock-Paper-Scissors is the classic example, albeit an overly simplistic one.
4c: Heavily cybered characters lack any true counters - everything that's effective against them is effective in the same way as against anything else.  The sole exception is cyber-hacking, which is a means by which hackers can diminish their effectiveness, perhaps to the point of eliminating or even reversing their impact on the fight.
4d: Hacking isn't a true counter to anything else - the only runner-up is riggers, who are actually (due to their likelihood of having better ECM and ECCM capabilities, along with a few other things) the direct counter to hackers.

Conclusion: Cyber-hacking cannot be removed should various forms of balance be preserved.

Feel like I'm forgetting a couple of points I wanted to cover (stopped in the middle of typing this to grab dinner), but I can't seem to cease forgetting them.

1: This is the sort of thinking that led to the way skills work in D&D 4th where everything is based around "combat utility" and any skill they couldn't figure out a way to work that was completely excised from the ruleset under the guise of "streamlining".

2: See the first point, as this point made was merely an extension of it.

3: If the character is not a combatant as either primary, secondary or at the very least tertiary, then combat is not a situation where they should really contribute much. It's just the nature of the beast. That's like saying that Little Timmy up the street should be able to compete against that UCAS Army Infantryman.

4: You're falling into the "everything must absolutely, unequivocably be totally equal in all ways" trap here. All things are not equal, they never have been and they never will be (at least as long as the game is made right). Not everything should have something that completely makes it worthless. Not to mention that, as people have stated, it just forces a move toward a preference of bio-ware over cyber-ware because with cyber-hacking being present, having cyber-ware becomes entirely a liability.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #59 on: <03-04-13/0033:13> »
Falconer, I'm sorry, but your argument doesn't hold water. I'll talk about intruder nanites a bit later, but as for the rest, a hacker usually won't be going in through the individual implants, and you damn well know it. They'll hack the PAN, because they don't have to stand within 3m of an angry sammy to get in there. From the PAN, they can get into anything connected to the PAN, including cyberware. The dangers of plentiful cyberware getting hacked is one of the limitations of cyberware (and one of the reasons why those who can afford it get bioware instead). Again, that's like saying you like mages, but think Drain and Background Counts are tropes that need to go.

If you want to talk about how to keep people from hacking your cyberware, the first thing you do is practice basic Matrix security. That means paying for a decent firewall, an Analyze program, and some IC if you can afford it. Go in Hidden mode while on a run, so they have to spend time looking for you. Encrypt your node so they have to spend time decrypting. It is the same idea as home security. There is no way that you will ever make your home completely secure from thieves. What you can do is make it so that it is easier to hit the guy over there, or that anyone hitting your system should be bogged down by the different layers and types of security long enough that they'll get caught. This is even more imperative for a sammy who is getting hacked. An alert goes off? Reboot your commlink. Congrats, they got to start hacking all over again.

You're not penalizing all street samurais. You're penalizing the ones who aren't smart enough to secure their system. And cyberpunk in general (and Shadowrun in particular) has always taken a Darwinist approach to stupidity.

Now, regarding intruder nanites. IIRC, you have to be pretty close to get those things on you. That means either someone is in your face, you stepped in the nanite jar, or someone decided a spray mixing security RFIDs and intruder nanites would make a great way for corpsec to tell when someone entered a room without the proper codes. And if you get hit by a trap like that, then you probably should have done some better research, yeah?

My Characters