NEWS

(Mystic)Adept and On-the-Fly Stat Change

• 6 Replies

cheuk4

• Newb
« on: <02-18-13/2355:39> »
I have a few questions about the Adept and Mystic Adept.

1) How does an Adept "learn" extra powers?

2) Can an Adept alter the level of their power at-will at any time?

3) Can a Mystic Adept change the Power Point/Magic ratio at-will at any time?

That's it for now, thanks in advance!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-19-13/0007:02> »
1) By getting more power points, which he gets by getting more magic. 

2) Nope.  Have to increase Magic, or possibly learn it as a metamagic if a certain optional rule is in play.  Either takes time.

3) Nope.  The points of Magic you commit to power points stay as power points, and the ones you commit to mage stuff stay there.  When you get a new point of magic, you must decide which it goes to.

The closest things to on-the-fly stat change for Adepts are Boost Attribute, Berserk, and I think maybe a couple others.
« Last Edit: <02-19-13/0009:16> by RHat »
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

cheuk4

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-19-13/0021:53> »
So from that, it sounds like it wouldn't be possible to "unlearn" powers to gain other powers then.

But say I have Improved Ability at LV1, then later initiate and gain a magic point for more Power Point, I can't LV up that skill to LV2?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-19-13/0023:41> »
So from that, it sounds like it wouldn't be possible to "unlearn" powers to gain other powers then.

But say I have Improved Ability at LV1, then later initiate and gain a magic point for more Power Point, I can't LV up that skill to LV2?

You can improve powers once you get more Power Points, but you can't remove powers for different ones.

With your Improved Ability example, you could get another rank in the power for that skill, but you can't swap it out for improving a different skill.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-19-13/0024:09> »

If my understanding is correct, you can.

First you have to use your karma to up your magic (which also may require you to initiate which takes time and money) and then you can learn it by spending that extra adept magic point you have (you'd have to look into the rules on that exact process but it wouldn't be immediate).
Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-19-13/0041:57> »

Oh, you can upgrade just fine.  Deleting a power is a different thing.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-20-13/1409:56> »
Losing an adept power once you already know it is a matter of losing magic....  there are no ways by the rules to 'retrain' power points and powers once spent.

IE: I buy some cyber/bio and lose magic... that lost point or more of magic comes out of my existing powers.

If you're absolutely new and don't know what you're doing is another thing altogether... that's called talking to the GM about the character and asking if there's anything you can do to change it.   He might allow you to alter your powers with some very magical mojo ritual/ordeal or whatnot.   But that's GM houserule type stuff to grease the skids and keep the game moving and everyone happy.