NEWS

Spirits vs. Mundanes

• 90 Replies

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #15 on: <01-25-13/0007:30> »
Maybe if you used a casemod on top of which, but I don't see any reason to if they come in goggle form...
It seems like the solution to spirits has been, either RUN or "SHOOT THEM, SHOOT THEM LOTS". I mean, in physical form, where they can effect you, they still take the same damage like anyone else. Still, not being able to do anything special sucks, but you can still hack the surroundings and turn them against the spirits and mages.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <01-25-13/0029:37> »
Maybe if you used a casemod on top of which, but I don't see any reason to if they come in goggle form...
It seems like the solution to spirits has been, either RUN or "SHOOT THEM, SHOOT THEM LOTS". I mean, in physical form, where they can effect you, they still take the same damage like anyone else. Still, not being able to do anything special sucks, but you can still hack the surroundings and turn them against the spirits and mages.

If they chase you at astral speed, you cannot outrun them.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #17 on: <01-25-13/0058:25> »

If they chase you at astral speed, you cannot outrun them.
You don't need to outrun them. You just need to outrun the slowest member of your team, and hope the spirit hasn't been given orders to pursue you indefinitely.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #18 on: <01-25-13/0152:14> »
Run towards their summoner and eat him then. But if they go astral even if they can move at the speed of thought, don't they have to keep looking for your astral presence?
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #19 on: <01-25-13/0221:14> »
True, but not easy to loose them. Need a ward or similar. And given their speed, your chances are not good...
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Charasanya

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <01-25-13/0222:20> »
A character of mine once defeated a toxic water spirit by tossing a 50-pack of water purification tablets into its sludgey, materialized form. But other then that, I advise hitting it with your best shots whatever that may be (plus edge if you have) and hope for the best. 8)

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #21 on: <01-25-13/0226:03> »
Pile it on. Most spirits have only 2 passes. Lay on full auto long narrow bursts, and use your edge. Enough firepower will bring down most spirits... Evenntually.
Just remember free spirits will be back and pretty pissed... Something to look forward to.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <01-25-13/0918:40> »
I remember a character of mine grabbing a cup of coffee and throwing it at a fire spirit.....
right as one of us cut it up with a monofilament whip.

haiiro_okami

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <01-25-13/1042:46> »
Mod your Ruger to be SA. We like to call that hand cannon a spirit killer. With APDS you need but a single net hit to punch through any spirit up to and including force 6. Add called shots to that and you can punch through anything up to force 8 with a single net hit. Of course you will need more hits than that to really hurt it more than likely. The sniper rifle is also nice but you need a good place to snipe from to use it properly (see the sniper rules in the gear section of SR4A). Battle riffles work well for this as well.
Way ahead of you, all my guns are heavily modded with the firing selection change one of the mods applied to the Ruger.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #24 on: <01-25-13/1202:02> »
Mod the Ruger for High-Power Chambering (from War!), for 8P, AP -3, or pick up the Cavalier Arms Sheriff from Gun Heaven 2, for 8P, AP -4.  On the other hand, you're taking the DP penalty for High-Power Rounds.

My favorite recently in pistols has been the Ares Viper with AP Flechette rounds (8P, AP +0 vs. Impact).  It's not cheap, though...harder to find than APDS and more than twice the price.

If you can, get a heavier gun.  The only character who wants her only gun to be a pistol is a gunslinger adept, and even that's easily disputed.  Shotguns are always fun, especially if you get a model that fires bursts and has a drum. :)
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

nullnostalgia

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <01-25-13/1213:54> »
Why has nobody mentioned a Vindicator on full auto? I mean, load that sucker up with SnS(I hope your pockets are deep) and fire on full auto narrow burst, and you're doing 20S on half armor. Which, with a single net hit, puts you on the ability to overcome a Force 12 spirit's armor. Assuming that it doesn't negate the SnS half armor thing.

That said, at this point you're ghostbusting with a minigun and sustained taser fire.

But let's say I'm forgetting something, and that spirits are immune to stun damage, and such.

Our weapon of choice: GE Vindicator with High Power Chambering, Personalized Grip, Electronic Firing, a Gas Vent 3 system, and a Gyromount system.(I believe these RC modifiers stack.) If I remember right, these all stack. Have a street same with foot anchors installed, for an additional +2 recoil comp. It should equate to 11 recoil comp and then +2 from the foot anchors, for 13. Let's say through all this, you have a sammy with high enough strength to provide +1 RC. Assuming you play by those rules.

Now, a vindicator with high power chambering fires at 8P -2 AP. Firing on full auto, which you may now do, will equate to 22 physical damage before net hits. Next, the bare minimum of 1 net hit provides you with 23P damage.

This will grant you an ability to reliably combat your average Force 6-8 spirit, and maybe even Force 11s. Maybe, if Admiral Awesome and Lady Luck like you, possibly even Force 12. If I'm understanding the rules right.

So, take that every GM who said I couldn't solve everything with a minigun!

Corgano

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <01-25-13/1235:38> »
Another way for mundane runners to fight a spirit are attacks of will. Although for it to be effective, you will have to chargen your runner in a way that gives him a lot of willpower. One example would be a dwarf with WI-Optimization bioware, a natural WI of 8, pain editor and certain drugs (in order to increase it WI to 12), Daredrenalin geneware (gives +1D6 on all willpower test) and the "Focus Will" maneuver (+2D6 for willpower tests). That would give you 15 dice to attack the spirit. Oh, and to deal out enough damage, you should also have a decend Charisma and the damage boni from the Tai Chi technique.

haiiro_okami

• Newb
« Reply #27 on: <01-25-13/1253:35> »
Am gonna try and get gun heaven as a "just for the hell of it" thing, but apart from the ruger I do have a couple fairly modded weapons including an Ares Desert Strike with APDS ammo

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <01-25-13/1259:01> »
I wonder if you could use one of those hand-fans on low level air spirits... ;D

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #29 on: <01-25-13/1433:24> »
Why has nobody mentioned a Vindicator on full auto? I mean, load that sucker up with SnS(I hope your pockets are deep) and fire on full auto narrow burst, and you're doing 20S on half armor. Which, with a single net hit, puts you on the ability to overcome a Force 12 spirit's armor. Assuming that it doesn't negate the SnS half armor thing.

It might overcome armor, but the burst-fire DV modifier doesn't apply when you're comparing DV to armor (p. 153, SR4A).  While full-auto fire doesn't specifically say this, it makes sense to apply the same rule (and every GM I've seen rule on it rules it that way).  So you're left with the base DV of the weapon + net hits and the AP value.

Still, 6S(e) against half armor is a nice start...that and the "Don't Taze Me Bro" rule are why every runner picks up at least a little SnS ammo. :)
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)